Anyone Looking for a Job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey sturd, just to be clear in my situation, I don't set the company policy on drug testing for any level of my employees. The company that employs me and entrusts me to follow their policies as a function of my continuing employment, does.

I guess I should have assumed that was true. Sure makes it hard to find good employees.
What are they going to do with companies in CO and WA?

I think it sucks that some corporate lawyer that is afraid of his shadow is costing
companies time and money for little to no benefit. Follicle testing for a guy that is
going to move boxes is crazy. Your situation is the result, enhanced safety is not.
Breathalyzer every morning makes more sense.

I'll call Warren for you.

In my 33 working years, probably the worst violators that I have seen of substance abuse or boozing were the business owners, or their employed family members.

True story.

I got a job in '94, my last 'real' job, with a MultiBillion dollar company. A requirement
of employment was a piss test. Since my drug of choice is alcohol, no big deal but it
rubbed me wrong even then. I made it obvious to the test company by drinking a whole
lot of tea a buddy drank back then to pass AMA drug tests (worked but remember it was
20 years ago) then holding it. The nurse even commented on it, pee looked as clear as
distilled.

Anyway, I'm at work the THIRD day and my boss says we're going out of town to visit
a company that MultiBillion bought. Me (the new guy that knows about sensors), the QA
manager, my boss the engineering manager, and the plant manager. We have to decide
how best to move the operation 300 miles to our plant.

Following Monday, a Lincoln Towncar is delivered and the plant manager slides
into the driver's seat, me and QA in back, my boss in front of me. We head down the road
and at the gas station on the corner pull in. QA gets out and comes back with a 12 pack
of Busch. Off we go onto the freeway. QA hands beers all around. Boss fiddles around
up front, I can't see what he's doing, but then he lights up a doobie. Passes it back to me,
I look at it like it's from a Russian nuclear plant, say "nah, makes me paranoid" and pass
it to QA. Who passes it back up to plant manager after having a couple nice tokes.

Within 100 miles I'm on my third beer and we're on our way.

What a person does outside of work is their own business? Seesm to me that when you engage in illegal activity, whether at home or work, it would still make you a criminal at either place. Separating the two is like telling a 13 year old student's parents that his teacher only does underage boys away from school property.

What a person does outside of work is their own business? Seesm to me that when you engage in illegal activity, whether at home or work, it would still make you a criminal at either place. Separating the two is like telling a 13 year old student's parents that his teacher only does underage boys away from school property.
That's ironic coming from someone that races something that was banned by the government 20 years ago.;) Does your employer know about your apparent disregard for our benevolent government and their wisdom regarding what is safe for us consumers?

That's ironic coming from someone that races something that was banned by the government 20 years ago.;) Does your employer know about your apparent disregard for our benevolent government and their wisdom regarding what is safe for us consumers?
Lmao.....they didnt ban them they just said they couldnt sell new ones in the USA. Big difference.

Its so amusing to me how people will defend smoking dope like its a life requirement. And I am with all those who say smoking dope isnt any worse than drinking, neither should be allowed. The devastation of life and $ caused by both isnt worth it.

As for the testing for employment, I will say it again. In my 14 years as a business owner and my 17 years of working before that has proven to me that if a person is willing to smoke dope, do any type of drugs or is an alcoholic ( not a casual user so much usually ) they have no problem showing up to work impaired or using on company time. The most famous saying always comes up ( as it has in this thrread ) " No one can tell Im high!" Bull s**t. And for some reason liberal people want to jump on that bandwagon and shout " You have no right to discriminate on me". I dont care if you're packing boxes , loading boxes , shoveling sheep s**t.....a business owner is taking liability for an impaired worker. You would be amazed at what damage people can do to themselves, others and their surroundings. And in this age of "Im not responsible for my own actions" suing frenzy you just cant allow employees to be impaired.

Its so amusing to me how people will defend smoking dope like its a life requirement. And I am with all those who say smoking dope isnt any worse than drinking, neither should be allowed. The devastation of life and $ caused by both isnt worth it.

Not so much of it being a life requirement, but moreso that if you are going to make one substance legal - when it is arguably "worse" to one's health and mental status - and keep another illegal, it is going to raise eyebrows. That is how changes (are supposed) to happen in the USA.

And your second point may be so, but again we are supposed to be a "free" people, free to ruin our lives & bodies however we see fit. But right now we can only legally do that with alcohol and cigarettes, oh and prescription pain pills. The law makers only want us to be able to kill ourselves if they can profit heavily from it.

The most famous saying always comes up ( as it has in this thrread ) " No one can tell Im high!" Bull *!*!*!*!.

Nobody has said that in this thread except for you.. are you high right now? I can tell

Either way.. who gives a s**t

Good job on ruining this guys thread BTW :rofl:

What a person does outside of work is their own business?

Nanny state or nanny corp. Same to me. It's my time, leave me alone. If I come to work stoned, on anything,
fire me. If I go home from work and get stoned, it's my business.

Seesm to me that when you engage in illegal activity, whether at home or work, it would still make you a criminal at either place.

You'll fire me if I beat my wife? Poach deer? Solicit prostitution? Backroom gamble? Manufacture explosives?
All criminal offenses.

Another vote for the nanny state.

Prohibition didn't work when we tried it in the 20's. Doesn't work now. I expect it never
will. At least it's good for business, just not legal businesses.

Nobody has said that in this thread except for you.. are you high right now? I can tell

Either way.. who gives a *!*!*!*!

Good job on ruining this guys thread BTW :rofl:

Look on page 2 ..... Meister said it.

And the people posting here obviously care about it somehow, you do or you wouldnt have replied. I honestly dont care so much about it other than the liability it poses on me as a business owner. Other than that its kind of like the government. I dont like it at all but there really isnt anything I can do about it. I can vote for what I believe is right but it doesnt ever seem to change anything. Casual users arent a problem and most everyone I know drinks or smokes weed. But unfortunately human beings arent good at moderation. Its the majority of people that cant handle it that really pose the problem.

So how about that global warming thing? Lol

You'll fire me if I beat my wife? Poach deer? Solicit prostitution? Backroom gamble? Manufacture explosives?
All criminal offenses.

Some businesses will. My sister lost a job because of her husbands wrong doings. If I knew an employee was doing any of the above I would confront them and if I wasnt happy with the result I would terminate them. Why? Because I have a moral standard I believe in. I have a moral standard I believe my customers expect of the technicians I send into their place of business and their homes. If I knew an employee was beating his wife or manufacturing explosives , other than for fun backyard stuff, I would contact the police. If you believe I shouldnt or you wouldnt do the same that tells me the type of person are.

Look on page 2 ..... Meister said it.

And the people posting here obviously care about it somehow, you do or you wouldnt have replied. I honestly dont care so much about it other than the liability it poses on me as a business owner. Other than that its kind of like the government. I dont like it at all but there really isnt anything I can do about it. I can vote for what I believe is right but it doesnt ever seem to change anything. Casual users arent a problem and most everyone I know drinks or smokes weed. But unfortunately human beings arent good at moderation. Its the majority of people that cant handle it that really pose the problem.

So how about that global warming thing? Lol

Meister said that he knows people that smoke weed and that A) you'd never know it. Little different than saying "you cant even tell im high", to me that means that the people he is describing don't fit the stereotype of a 'stoner' so you wouldn't pin them as someone that partakes in such illegal activities.

This thread has run it's course I think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back