Local pros... When is enough to much

loneranger171

PR Addict
The other thread got me thinking... How do local pros sustain going to the nationals and supercross races.. Is sponsorship paying for bikes and expenses or parents bank account? We all know payout for privateers is squat so... Sponsored local riders don't get stuff like they used to right? So besides the love of racing is any money being made by local riders? Seems to me you're better off chasing money races than supercross these days.

This is an excellent subject. I ask a lot of young guys why they want their Pro license. And I get the same answer from every one of them. "It's always been my dream" is the answer I get. In the 1980's or 1990's I'd say that's a great answer. Unfortunately the Industry is no longer cash heavy. There just are not alot of big deals left.
The best way to make money now is to stay "A" forget the Pro Card and Supercross or Nationals. Hit all of the Pro-Ams. It will cost you less money and you will make more chasing the special money races. For example, Chillitown had free entries and a nice purse. Try to find that at a National.
Before you race out and get a Pro License ask a handful of local guys if they would go that route if they could have a do over.

There are 3 to 4 TIMES more factory / factory support rides available now then there was back in the late 80's and early 90's when I was giving it ago. Back then there was 2, maybe 3 support teams like Honda of troy and PC. Now I count 42 guys in "team" organizations, all of which are pulling a salary. And that's not counting the arena teams. Way more money and product sponsorships available now
If you want to buy a pro card to "fulfil a dream" fine. If your good enough to run in the top 20, you can make money at that level. If not, there are a lot of pro am events to support your habit
I know things have changed but back in the day 1990. I got $880 for making a Supercross main. Two weeks later I made $1200 at Action Sports on a Saturday night and Kenworthy on sunday.

So you feel a
There are 3 to 4 TIMES more factory / factory support rides available now then there was back in the late 80's and early 90's when I was giving it ago. Back then there was 2, maybe 3 support teams like Honda of troy and PC. Now I count 42 guys in "team" organizations, all of which are pulling a salary. And that's not counting the arena teams. Way more money and product sponsorships available now
If you want to buy a pro card to "fulfil a dream" fine. If your good enough to run in the top 20, you can make money at that level. If not, there are a lot of pro am events to support your habit
I know things have changed but back in the day 1990. I got $880 for making a Supercross main. Two weeks later I made $1200 at Action Sports on a Saturday night and Kenworthy on sunday.
So u feel a good local pro should have a shot at making money Chris? It seems like rides have dried up lately but maybe more local dealers or businesses as sponsors one may be able to make a go at it? I'm talking about guy's worth looking at that struggle with funding to keep racing

Saw on Jimmy decotis instagram that he has a gofundme link to donate towards his racing expenses... Interesting platform to use and get funds outside the norm....

sad that someone at his level has to ask for money like that... he rips! Just shows you how little of a chance anyone really has at actually making a living doing it...

sad that someone at his level has to ask for money like that... he rips! Just shows you how little of a chance anyone really has at actually making a living doing it...
Especially since between sponsors he has and bikes sponsored from a harley dealership... On a side note he has 50,000 followers but his gofundme only is at $640...

Especially since between sponsors he has and bikes sponsored from a harley dealership... On a side note he has 50,000 followers but his gofundme only is at $640...

90% of facebook and instagram users are kids that dont have 2 pennies to spare. Hell I barely do! Money is too tight these days and people arent going to give up their play money to a guy to race IMO.

Most all companies have some sort of budget set aside for advertising. Pound the pavement and knock on a few doors with resume in hand and a good cover letter explaining what you do and how you can drive people to there business. They will give you money. No, it may not be $50,000 but it is amazing how easy it is to get a $200 check for a "sponsorship". Take that $200 to one of the 57 million "companies" that make the ugly graphics that you PAY for now out your own pocket and have them make "Waffle house" , "Holiday Inn", or "Joe's Garage" graphics and put those on your bike.
Now you are building a relationship with a mainstream company and you look more professional with an actual sponsor on the bike instead of the Metal mulish garbage.
Yes I think a few local guys can make it. Are they going to make a good living? NO. Can they make enough to go week to week? Yes, if you budget well like the rest of us 9 to 5'ers.

The slowest 450 guys pull around 55k a year.(meaning they're making night program) But someone is spending way more than that to get them there.

Now you say "wow, 55k a year to race that's awesome!" No it isn't. They aren't receiving benefits or paying into a retirement....etc.

Today theres no benefit in that dream. Feld isn't taking care of the riders that put on the show, and when they critically injured, there's no defined disability plan, or insurance that will allow these guys to support themselves for life. When someone gets hurt bad the next yoyo lines up to the gate for the main.

Plus the riders are young and in the dream-like state and don't realize nobody gives two shits about them Except for their family.

As long as the riders keep racing for nothing feld will continue to rent out the football stadiums.

Whaaaahhhh.....

Are you sure thats accurate? If Im pulling down 55K in my pocket a year its a no brainer. Who cares if they dont have benefits and nobody cares but family? Thats damn good jack for a job. Most people dont make close to that.

And you sound like an effing democrat, of you dont like the job then dont do it! Its really that easy.

Now honestly I would say that there are few riders taking home that kind of money after expenses.

after expenses anybody outside of the top 15 but consistently making (most) night shows is probably lucky to break even is my semi edumacated guess. Any farther back and they are definitely not making a dime, thats where mom and dads pockets come in.

Not sure but I believe several years ago you could be a normal person working a few days a week to cover your expense, riding a few and then still probably get to most races and maybe stand a chance at a night show. Now a days these kids eat/sleep/dream mx/sx and spend all of their time at a training facility.. how can your super fast local guy that still has to work a few hours a week compete? unlikely.

Then again you could say a few years back, those guys could go do decent at arenacross, but now that competition has seemed to really step up too and some of those guys arent doing much different sponsor / training / riding wise as the sx guys are...

long story short, its next to impossible to make it. sad reality of it.

Your numbers are WAY off. Last in the last chance pays $965. Times 17 rounds is $16,405
Last in the main pays $1415. Time 17 races is only $24,055

here is the pay

Attachments

• ama-supercross-purse.jpg
    ama-supercross-purse.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 268
Total attendance in 2014 was 831,600. divide by 17 rounds is 48,917 per race. Total purse for the riders is $98,615. So that means $2.01 per ticket goes to pay the riders... I am pretty sure I paid a little more then that for my seats.

Ken Feld, by all rights "owner" of Supercross. New worth $1,800,000,000. That's BILLION, with a B

Ryan Villopoto, the guy that made the money for Mr. Feld. Net worth $5,000,000

Whaaaahhhh.....

Are you sure thats accurate? If Im pulling down 55K in my pocket a year its a no brainer. Who cares if they dont have benefits and nobody cares but family? Thats damn good jack for a job. Most people dont make close to that.

And you sound like an effing democrat, of you dont like the job then dont do it! Its really that easy.

Now honestly I would say that there are few riders taking home that kind of money after expenses.

No a democrat would condone that kind of spending behavior. Blowing 79-100k a year to make 50. SX + MX.

what's the outdoor payouts. I read on vital guys racing and squeaking into mains make 55k. Let me find the thread

Ok so its $2 a ticket, is that for the 450 and 250 guys together? And what is the cost of sign up per event? Need to throw that into the mix. At least 100 guys sing up at each event I would think.

What does it cost to rent the venue? Build the track then tear it down? Liability ins? Track help? Marketing? Monster girls? Referees? Transporting? Pyrotechnics permit? Other expenses?

My point being....I understand the guy is filthy rich, he has many other ventures too. But who gives a flying f%^k? He, like Coombs, made it happen for themselves. Nobody gave it to them. Maybe you whinners should have done it instead. If the riders dont like it then they shouldnt ride. And if it disturbs you guys so much then dont watch or go to the events otherwise you are supporting him , the events and underpaying of riders you dont believe is ethical!!!

Im with Hershey, If thats a true number.

I'd take 55k (not scoob, cash $$) to win every main event. Thats 20k+ more than I made last year at a little short of almost double minimum wage! The riders complaining about the $ must have never had a true full-time job that isn't hobby related.

How much you think MC just got paid to be a "Brand Ambassodor" for Kawi? That's the job I really want.

Back