Local pros... When is enough to much

You must remember that the dream is alive for a lot of riders. Some do it for the love of the sport and money is not the driving force behind it all. If you want something bad enough you find a way to make it work.

98K is for both classes combined. Yes it costs big $ to put on a supercross but MY point was. If the payback was more realistic then guys COULD make a living at it. The fact you have a guy like Decotis that is fairly well know and has fair results out begging for money should tell you something is wrong.
Don't get confused, Stating facts is not whining. I'm I jealous of them both of them? You bet your ares. I would LOVE to have that position. But if it were me I would like to think I would be slightly more generous with the pay going back to my employees. (riders are employees) But your right. its free enterprise. Screw the riders.

Instead of not watching the races. Watch them, enjoy the race and then email the commercial sponsors and tell them you are not going to purchase their products because Feld does not pay the riders well. Its the same type of protest that many have joined against Wal-Mart.

The real problem is that riders are willing to do it for the glory, for the thrill and mostly for the love of it. It means that they are the best type of employee you could have. (They are not employees of Feld though.) Its not about the money. When it shifts to being about the riders then the sign ups will fall off and the gates will empty out. At that point the pay will have to go up.

Until then nothing will change.

Ok so its $2 a ticket, is that for the 450 and 250 guys together? And what is the cost of sign up per event? Need to throw that into the mix. At least 100 guys sing up at each event I would think.

What does it cost to rent the venue? Build the track then tear it down? Liability ins? Track help? Marketing? Monster girls? Referees? Transporting? Pyrotechnics permit? Other expenses?

My point being....I understand the guy is filthy rich, he has many other ventures too. But who gives a flying f%^k? He, like Coombs, made it happen for themselves. Nobody gave it to them. Maybe you whinners should have done it instead. If the riders dont like it then they shouldnt ride. And if it disturbs you guys so much then dont watch or go to the events otherwise you are supporting him , the events and underpaying of riders you dont believe is ethical!!!

Yeah you're right who cares. It's not up to us, I'll still watch the idiots race if they want to do it for nothing. Fine by me. And the if the riders don't like it they shouldn't ride for sure, but they'll keep riding. So who are we to say Feld and Coombs are dispicable? I don't think they are, but I do know that the riders would get paid more if they demanded it. But they won't, so this is how it is going to be.

But my god, the riders could demand some type of education scholarship after their racing career so when they're done they can go on with their lives instead of leaching off the industry, because we know the Jeff Emig's jobs are a dime a dozen.

I think half of it has to do that the riders are probably idiots. Anybody see Jeff Alessi's posts on Vital? The kid is a toolbox, never got a decent education, and that's probably how the majority of the riders are. Toolboxes. Pulling your kid out of school to chase a Supercross dream is moronic, if not suicidal-moronic.

James Stewart dad said in Bubba's world: "If I missed a house payment to go racin, then we missed a house payment." That's dedication to the sport for sure, but that's like putting your entire life savings/401k whatever you have worked hard to obtain on one hand of blackjack with you have 12 and the dealer showing an Ace of spades. How many fathers are doing that that and don't have a James Stewart as a son? Stewarts got lucky or else they would still be living without a pot to piss in, in Winterhaven, Florida. But the rest of the MX community shouldn't follow that standard becuase there isn't room for them at the top to make that kind of money.

Keep your kids in school. The risks are too heavy to be favorable; however, if you can afford the opportunity to race and send them to camps then do it, but you can't expect a valuable return when it isn't paying at the top level. Educate your kids before you rip them out of school because they just crushed everyone at a local regional in the 51cc 7-8 stock class.

The real problem is that riders are willing to do it for the glory, for the thrill and mostly for the love of it. It means that they are the best type of employee you could have. (They are not employees of Feld though.) Its not about the money. When it shifts to being about the riders then the sign ups will fall off and the gates will empty out. At that point the pay will have to go up.

Until then nothing will change.

That's the point I was trying to get at. You old business owner guys are pretty smart, could be why you're not piss poor and have no ambition in life....

All riders? No.
Is that what you think of riders????????? Why do you ride Georgie?
Majority of us do this for fun, and stay home when we have to (or don't want to for that matter) when expenses get into the way. How many highly educated pro's are there? None, they're all young. Wouldn't it be nice if they could know if they qualified for 20 mains in their career that Feld had a trust scholarship set aside for them to pay for some type of Bachelor degree or Journeyman apprentice cost? That's all I'm saying. Sorry If I offended you fellow riders.

I ride because I love it. But I knew at 17 I wasn't going to ever get paid to race. But if there was a huge incentive to try like knowing I could get a college degree paid for....maybe I would of tried a go at the pro thing, training my balls off, all that....but where's the incentive? Hell, I get the Scoob jr. wrap on pitracer, because I say I'm "in" for all these racing events and then when push comes to shove, or Cash comes to Bank account I just tell myself to keep the money in the bank.

I qualified for that stupid regional at Indianna that turned out to be a nightmare, and I thank god that I just decided not to go to that race and save money....I wouldn't of even made the top 20 anyway for as much as I'm working.

Last edited:
Nobody makes any money but a few. If you want on a satellite team, then your parents have deep pockets, many times. Many parents bring a sponsor or money to a satellite team. 55K for racing? C'mon! I would like to see those numbers for the 15th place rider. HAHA!

Nobody makes any money but a few. If you want on a satellite team, then your parents have deep pockets, many times. Many parents bring a sponsor or money to a satellite team. 55K for racing? C'mon! I would like to see those numbers for the 15th place rider. HAHA!
Sounds like real life. It's not what you know but who you know. I now wonder if arena cross payout is any better than the crap being paid back to barely qualifying privateers at ama supercross or national races

Wow, maybe you need to just go ride and remember why you started in the 1st place. Trust me, my son and I have been working together trying to make the fast 40 for the past 2 seasons on very limited funds and youre missing the point. Wouldn't trade all the time and hard work for all the money in the world. Youre focus cant be on money, its on reaching youre goals and enjoying the time together.

Wow, maybe you need to just go ride and remember why you started in the 1st place. Trust me, my son and I have been working together trying to make the fast 40 for the past 2 seasons on very limited funds and youre missing the point. Wouldn't trade all the time and hard work for all the money in the world. Youre focus cant be on money, its on reaching youre goals and enjoying the time together.
Not sure if this is towards me or not but I am not a pro looking for money. The thread about valuing time spent is another one this is about the local privateer.. Dollars and cents matter here and how do they survive

If you have been trying to make the top twenty the last few years please share some success stories or suggestions on doing this on a budget as u mentioned. I'm curious besides time spent together on the input of funds versus the output. Are you losing in the end and how long will it sustain

Not sure if this is towards me or not but I am not a pro looking for money. The thread about valuing time spent is another one this is about the local privateer.. Dollars and cents matter here and how do they survive

Yes it is about the local privateer, and his point is, like is said for most riders, it cant be about the money because it isnt there. They do it for the love of the sport.....and in their case the time they get to spend together.

Yes it is about the local privateer, and his point is, like is said for most riders, it cant be about the money because it isnt there. They do it for the love of the sport.....and in their case the time they get to spend together.
I get all the loves and hugs about spending time together... I was just confirming that most funding is out of one's own pocket or their parents pocket. The pro privateers racing expenses are not close to break even so in dollars and cents ur losing money. My original intentions were just to see if sponsors even make a dent in one's overall racing budget these days

Yes, in our case the funding is all out of pocket, with the help of a few friends. Like I said its all about chasing a dream, working for a goal. We do get some help with clothing and parts discounts which is very appreciated.

Precisely stated. And I've said before if you can afford that opportunity then by all means chase it. Just don't lose your house and destroy your family over it. Because before you know it your kid is going to be 30 with no applicable workforce skills except hard work ethic. And sadly Nobody cares about ethic as much as they care about that dumb piece of paper some of us have spent thousands upon thousands on. So, at 30 He will already be behind paying into retirement for 10 years etc. weigh the options. If these aren't concerns for you as they can be for others, and if your talent affords you the ability to make some money at racing, then that is awesome and I say to you: go for it!!

The pro today has it hard. Low (I mean zero to negative) capital gain at the cost of high capital injuries with no industry support after it happens. I think that's wrong and the nfl players are now thinking twice. If they are making millions while they are pro and suing for money, what do our motocross pros have ? Years of credit card debt and savings accounts emptied....? These pro riders should be millionaires for making the night show. Especially at sold out venues like A1. That's a packed house that could fund riders to their dreams content!

Nobody wants to see 5 guys take off the line. (The ones getting paid) you privateers need to band together and lay in front of the gates for the pro main and see if a2 is sold out. Or a3 is sold out. Feld will dig into his pockets and pay you guys to race because at that point he will be losing money exponentially for venue rental costs. And the venues will only charge more to subsidize the seat sales they're missing out on.

But you pros keeping digging for a dream that only 5 people out of 7 billion on this planet are living. DEMAND TO GET PAID.

Last edited:
But then look at Josh Hansen......raw talent. The kid made a ton of money riding for PC, and the blew through it like nothing. Bought houses, Lamborghuini....all the way to broke. Went back to driving a junk 1989 toyota t100, and now he's back at it on a bike. This guy has figured out how to make money in the sport, and has the right connections for sure. So the dream is possible for sure.

Then you got the Larry the cable guy of motocross....clearly, many different avenues to make money in this sport.

Last edited:
Back