2015 AMA Vintage Motocross National Championship info...

Alex186

PR Member
Alright guys... here is some information on the Vintage Motocross program. Please know we are expanding AMA vintage racing into new territories and facilities around the country. The AMA Vintage Grand Tour racing format allows us to expand vintage racing without forcing racers to drive all over the country and spend a ton of money. I know we had mixed emotions about going away from the series format to a single event National Championship at Mid-Ohio, but we changed the Mid-Ohio event around to make it a little bit more special. I hope you guys can enjoy and get out a race at some of these other great vintage events.

Check out some of the changes for the AMA Vintage National Championship!!! Expect a announcement on the AMA Vintage Grand Tour soon...

New for 2015: 3-Moto Format at the National, Friday Open Practice, New classes, etc...

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/racing/nationalchampionships/vintagenationals.aspx

Thank you guys for supporting the AMA and our racing lifestyle.

Alex Hunter
AMA Motocross Assistant Manager

Thank you for all the hard work and effort on Amateur and Vintage racing Alex!

These are cool additions, adding the "Loretta Lynn's" type flair to the event:

2. The top 3 finishers in all classes must stop for Impound immediately after the finish of each moto. Motorcycle eligibility and frame numbers will be checked (if applicable). Motorcycle will be held at impound until released by the Official. 3. The winner in each moto should proceed directly to the podium for interviews and awarded Moto Medals.

However, it works well at LL because many of the racers are only doing one moto in a day. It might be tough to squeeze this stuff in during a weekend event with racers riding two or three classes.

Alex,

Great to see the 2015 announcements.

Thanks for the work and the positive changes to Vintage and Post Vintage Racing; know that we appreciate the effort. Yup, I did say racing and not parading around on fancy old bikes:).

I like the vibe and flair as Vet261 said.

I'm looking forward to the Friday practice day and like the 3 moto format at the Vintage National Championship. Sure it might cost a little extra for 2 days versus 1, but this is still the best motorsport bang for the buck I think there is!

New rules like motorcycle impoundment, verifying machine eligibility, and mandatory class advancement should help grow the competitive legitimacy of the sport and attract more that found it too recreational.

And 15 minute motos!!! Gives me more motivation to hit the gym more and practice more.

My first race ever was Athens in 2013 at 50 - so start if you are new, restart if you are an ex-racer, and get out there - you will meet a group of really first class guys.

The call is out - let's fill the gates, have some fun, and make some great memories in 2015.

Dano762

Last edited:
Thanks for sure AMA and Alex! You had to go and add the classic NC class didn't you? My favorite bike ever was my 88 CR250 I raced all over California for 2 years. I have no room or time for another bike! I do think it will be great fuel for the cause doing this because there is a lot of inventory around for those years. I see them all the time on my frequent trolls of craigslist and bikefinds.com

Nice format and I will be making a bunch of the other tour races. Non current classic slayer!
mikephone 801.JPG

Dang I waited all these years with that '87 sitting up on my shelf and no class specifially for it! I never should have sold it to that pesky Babet!

Ok, this has caused me to again realize that I don't enjoy navigating the AMA website. And I have some questions. Are the HS rider and bike classes the same as the motocross classes? Is there an AMA contact entity for "(and like design) models" or is that done at the race track? Is there a reason for the lack of HS events? Is it just a lack of promoter interest? Just asking for now. There may be more. :)

Ok, this has caused me to again realize that I don't enjoy navigating the AMA website. And I have some questions. Are the HS rider and bike classes the same as the motocross classes? Is there an AMA contact entity for "(and like design) models" or is that done at the race track? Is there a reason for the lack of HS events? Is it just a lack of promoter interest? Just asking for now. There may be more. :)

I asked the same about the hare scramble classes to Alex via email. If I hear something, I will forward it on.
I'm also bummed on the lack of an HS series. I know the same events as last year are already planned (Action Sports, Chillicothe, VMD), so it would seem easy to call it a series again. However, I'm pretty sure the books are closed on AMA sanctioning 2015 events.

Mike - I'm all for you running more motos! I can only hope they put them all close together...... Just kidding.

On the HS they keep it pretty broad on the years with V and PV but then they break it up by displacement. Best thing I could find is the registration form:

I just caught they said 2014 on this - maybe they add classic for 15 on HS also???

Attachments

• 2014 VHS PRE-ENTRY FORM.pdf
    207 KB · Views: 200
Mike - I'm all for you running more motos! I can only hope they put them all close together...... Just kidding.

That is funny.
Remembering last year, in PV/40+B, I chased Beenridin that whole 1st moto and just couldn't close the gap on him. He had corner speed as though on rails. Shortly thereafter found out he was running at least one other class, after our moto.
By our 2nd 40+ moto, his head of steam was a bit depleted. I was happy Mike was racing that other class.....Go Mike Go ! :D

Last edited:
Damn... that means I'm gonna have to lay off the King Dons and Hawaiian Punch again.
Been slipp'n a little since the new years. hee hee

Back