Where is PitRacer going?

With all the opinionated veterans we have frolicking the PitRacer site (veterans to the site, not old men)… I have really been scratching my head on why we can’t see this same popularity on the overall PR database to share more information on tracks, have more participation on social media networks, and use the passion of motocross to unite the powers of good and solve world hunger! Or just the outrageously high costs of 2-strokes these days. But really…

In 2015, PitRacer and those who help maintain the site/social media/etc. want to make huge strides in doing exactly what PitRacer was intended to do: promote motocross in the most efficient way possible – bringing you all the information you need to know before you make the haul to a track, when looking for tracks, or need to know how to get to the tracks.

Why is it so difficult to get riders/members to participate in sharing their knowledge about tracks or being involved in the conversations that circulate the PR network? What are some of your thoughts on how we build from the enthusiasm of the forums and create a thriving motocross community? We can spend hours studying marketing strategies and advertising techniques, but what better way than to just ask the customer (all of us)… What do we want from PitRacer? Because if we can answer that question, the PR network will be successful in 2015, and most likely, so will you because you will know where to go on race day!

Feedback welcomed….

I actually think social media forms like facebook are killing forums like PR. Tracks seem to post EVERYTHING on facebook and yet only here and there on PR. I will NEVER understand why. PR offers a place for all riders and racers to find out what is happening with a track at any given time. Unlkie FB where only friends can see a track post. And even at that not all the friends see every post. Then try searching FB for a track. Not fun. I have voiced this to many many track owners and they all say the same thing......FB is easy to post on from my phone. FB and Instagram type mediums give the user a sense of inclusion or a good feeling when a user sees instant approvals of your post, a count of people who 'like' your posts and comments. Instant gratification is a byproduct of our information age.

So I would say PR should try and find a way to make instant updates and adding pictures from your phone as easy as humanly possible. FB is stupid easy to add pictures on from your phone. Need to find a way to satisfy the instant gratification crowd. Hint Hint Chuckles...... ;)

I think we need to cover professionals more. Social media campaign will boost site traffic. But there has to be interesting pro mx and sx pulls....

I will shed some light on why tracks post on FB. When I originally posted the OMA schedule, it reached 1900 people by lunch, and in about 3-4 days it peaked at a reach of 6000 or so. Whether its accurate it or not, you do get more responses quicker, more people sharing pics and posts. Now, what I don't get is why some tracks don't do both. Its pretty easy.

Unless you cater to the lowest common denominator, the slob enabled with their cell phones in their
recliners with a remote in the other hand, you will never reach the numbers facecrap does.

You also won't be catering to the lowest common denominator. A good thing in my view. Leave
the memes and the (insert your hated side here) wing radio wackos to the slobs.

Even when we're talking about dirt bikers, some have a brain. Of a sort.

Good point Sturd...I think..I am not sure what you meant, but I am one of the sorta have a brain Moto-slobs so forgive me.

When I do my marketing I get pretty specific. I would rather have 20 good hits of quality motorcycle enthusiasts than 100 hits of random "non-target" noise and garbage clogging up my site.

How do we promote this site? Word of mouth, stickers, t shirts and support.
I run into many customer and strangers and tell them if they want to stay plugged in, this is the place.

Also remember, there are many, many folks that read PR and visit often but never post.
Chuck put up a hit banner one time that hit 1 million pretty quick...

Tracks should definetly be utilizing all forms of media, especially a site like this.

When I'm deciding where to ride/race any given weekend, a one stop shop like Pitracer is the easiest choice for me. Facebook works ok, but you have to already know what you're looking for to utilize riding information. I might see something pop up on my feed here and there that I won't be able to find again after an hour, but other than that I'm not spending my time browsing tracks/promoters Facebook pages to see if they posted info, I come to Pitracer for that raw information.

Tracks should definetly be utilizing all forms of media, especially a site like this.

When I'm deciding where to ride/race any given weekend, a one stop shop like Pitracer is the easiest choice for me. Facebook works ok, but you have to already know what you're looking for to utilize riding information. I might see something pop up on my feed here and there that I won't be able to find again after an hour, but other than that I'm not spending my time browsing tracks/promoter Facebook pages to see if they posted info, I come to Pitracer for that raw information.

Exactly my point! So the real question for this particular part of PR is how do we get more riders/racers to learn about this site and use it??? That is the question that has been unanswered.

Like DD I tell everyone I meet that rides about the site, it is amazing to me how many people in our area that have NEVER heard of it ! I think PR should target bike shops and tracks with simple marketing ploys. Posters, banners, stickers and flyers. Be sure to get a link on every track web site and FB page also. Try to get tracks to post practice times and schedules on here more.

An idea I had was to have a track section in the forum. Each track could have a specific forum where people post threads only related to that track. Help keep promoters like JO who feels/ has been accused of overtaking the main page a place of their own. Perhaps the same for CRA, MRA, OMA, AMA .... ect a place of their own also.

Enough of a pot stirrers ramblings

I'm sure this is NOT what pitracer regulars want to hear but it's 100% the truth. I've tried very hard to get other tracks to post on here. The response is always the same.... "Why would I want to post on a page that constantly bashes tracks". We always post here about practices and races. It's a great avenue to reach riders. During our winter indoor series we only race minis which means it's a LOT of new family's to the sport. I've offered the owners of pitracer to come set up and hang banners and hand out info at no cost to them. Hasn't happened yet. When you can reach out to an average of 150 entries indoors during the winter for free and haven't done it yet? There might be the answer to your question...

I'm sure costs would be hefty but maybe a PR mobile app to allow for quicker posting and access .

Nothing on the site is designed for the youth riders. Yes there is a youth section that gets very little action but it is because it has nothing drawing in young riders. I would make a few suggestions:
1. Create a "top 10" list similar to what put Moto playground on the map with the top 100 list. Keep it regional, and make the groups by bike size. Top 10 50, 65, 85 and schoolboy riders. Should be pretty simple by just using results and a ranking system the gives higher value to higher attended events.
2. Assign a "board leader" of sorts, to each of the slower moving boards. Someone that can post updates and questions that draw more people in. I have seen this somewhat attempted by a couple people in the past and they will post 2 or 3 messages then disappear.
3. Do and post a Q&A weekly with different riders. Again similar to what the magazines do. Ask each person the same questions "What's you favorite track?" "What's your fav food?" "Biggest rivals" you know, underhand questions that anyone and everyone has an opinion on. Then give them the opportunity to post sponsors and thank you's. (They tell the sponsors to look at the posted interview and bam, maybe they will buy and ad on the site)

I hate using facepage to look at or for a track especially when you looking for something new. If I knew of the track them maybe I would know they had a facepagebook. Facebook is good for one thing and one thing only. looking up pictures of hot chics in highschool and seeing how fat they have gotten or how hot they still are and if they are married or not... Don't lie, We all have done it.

As a crazy 50 dad I would like to see info on tracks with 50 tracks or special days where the little guys get the big track but that never happens. All the current tracks listed in the track guide cater to the big bikes and this makes me scratch my head. Look at the turnouts on race day. There are more youth riders but RARELY do you see a practice day set up for them. That, my son, is what you call an underserved customer base.

I am with you on the stickers. The "PR" logo from the hat (That I am still waiting on) would make a cool sticker and would work just like the Moto playground "P"

Have any pitracer fender decals left? I will have them on my bike before I hit Florida if you do. Many of us need to take simple steps like having the name out there. Posting it on other forums, facebook, etc.

Knox has some good ideas there......damn, not again.

Pitracer works good finding a place to race or ride, but there is way to many people bashing tracks and promoters who never seen 3rd gear on there bikes. Just because some have the riggs and the fancy bikes doesn't mean they know s**t. They are the fastest to post but the slowest into the into the first corner.
Im ready for some outdoors this year the women are going to put it on the 50 plus dudes. ;)
Lap pounder

I'm sure this is NOT what pitracer regulars want to hear but it's 100% the truth. I've tried very hard to get other tracks to post on here. The response is always the same.... "Why would I want to post on a page that constantly bashes tracks". We always post here about practices and races. It's a great avenue to reach riders. During our winter indoor series we only race minis which means it's a LOT of new family's to the sport. I've offered the owners of pitracer to come set up and hang banners and hand out info at no cost to them. Hasn't happened yet. When you can reach out to an average of 150 entries indoors during the winter for free and haven't done it yet? There might be the answer to your question...

What tracks are those? (That claim that all that happens on PitRacer is track bashing)

I never got a PM?! I went to Route 62 a number of times the past few years and would love to hang some banners there (if Chuck would give me some!)

If tracks don't like the bashing, then perhaps they should not take it as bashing, but constructive criticism. A lot of the people on here go to lots of different tracks and organizations. Not all bashing is bad. Take the comments are learn from them. I used to attend a D11 track, and they have had some struggles. One day there was another issue, and I approached the track referee to discuss the issue. His comments to me "if I did not like it, then don't come the F back". Guess what? Me and my son have not gone back. 4 entries @ $25, gate for usually 4 or 5 people $50. Concession $20. Lost revenue to them $170.

One of the main reasons I use FB is to reach out to potential new riders, we cant grow the sport by just marketing to the existing client base (pitracer). AND, if you want to get some spectators to your events, you cannot limit yourself in terms of marketing. If we completely close off our minds and keep a narrow focus, we may miss good opportunities to create good things in life. Write that %#$@^ down, i coined it as i typed. Seriously, i did. Ok I will deflate and move on now.

If tracks don't like the bashing, then perhaps they should not take it as bashing, but constructive criticism. A lot of the people on here go to lots of different tracks and organizations. Not all bashing is bad. Take the comments are learn from them. I used to attend a D11 track, and they have had some struggles. One day there was another issue, and I approached the track referee to discuss the issue. His comments to me "if I did not like it, then don't come the F back". Guess what? Me and my son have not gone back. 4 entries @ $25, gate for usually 4 or 5 people $50. Concession $20. Lost revenue to them $170.
I never take anything personal that comes from riders on pitracer. I see it as passion for their sport. We are in our 3rd year here and I've learned a lot from keeping my mouth shut and just observing. Are we a premium track? No we are not. Are we better now than when we opened? Absolutely we are. And a lot of the reason we are is from reading comments. I'm not going to speak for other tracks but I wish they would get involved on here.

Add a "Spot light" to the industry section. Choose a local company and a nationally recognized company and do a behind the scenes interview with the key players. Post pictures and or videos of the products and services offered and special promo code that consumers can use during purchases to show that business came from PR.

Do interviews with pro mechanics and post in the General Tech section. They can offer simple solutions and quick tips on maintenance. These guys are often MUCH more willing to do this then the riders they work for. Plus they will be flattered that someone wants to talk to them and not the rider.

Back