Stuck.

MxFreedom33

PR Elite
Well I tried to stay away and I just couldn't.. I bought a 2012 YZ125 a year and a half ago and sold it cause I tried to grow up, that didn't happen. Im looking into buying another bike, and I feel like I was to big for the 125 anyway. My issue is im stuck between a 250F and a 450F. Im 5 foot 9inches tall, weigh about 174lbs, my skill level would be somewhere around a top 10 C rider ... ish. Ive been riding 13 years. I feel like im kinda in the middle between being to heavy for a 250F but to light for a 450F.. I would really like to get a new 250F but just nervous ill be to big. My question is, any guys my size or heavier still riding a 250F? I had a 2004 YZ250F when I was younger, and less fat and loved it.. but that was 24 pounds ago..I looked at the KTM 350 but the price tag on those just doesn't look like a good time.. A 2 stroke is out of the question, I already have a 1996 YZ250 in the garage that just isn't fun for me to ride. Im dead set on a 4 stroke I just don't know what to buy..... First world problems. Thoughts/opinions ?

The 350 would be perfect,they are an all around sweet ride that has plenty of power and still light
I love my 250sx,light and crisp but you did say the 2 strokes out
I just finished a motor rebuild on an older kxf250 and thought it ran pretty good and didn't feel heavy and bulky
I came off a rmz450 and loved that bike Best all around bike I have probably had,it was an 05 though
I think you would most likely be happy with the 250f,the roll on power is good and at your weight and level I would think it would work fine
Maybe some others that are where you are now while chime in and tell what works for them
Maybe a good used KTM350?? Hard to beat

I'm 5' 10" 170 and ride a 250f because I refuse to subject myself to the death trap that is a 450. Not saying a 450 isn't great, just not for me. I love 250f's. There's plenty of power and as a borderline B rider, you'll never use all of it. Stay safe.

I dont think you're to heavy for a 250f. I still have fun riding aprils stock rmz and I got 30 lbs on you (before gear). Id say go 250f with exhaust and fresh tires and have more fun riding wide open in fourth gear over lugging third.

Glad your coming back! Lifes too short to grow up!

Last edited:
I agree with the others. New 250f's scream. I'm heavier than you and have a blast on 250F's. Great all around bike. Just pick your favorite color. Plenty to choose from. Especially at your skill level.

I rode a buddy's Yam 250f ( an '09 or '10 maybe ? ) that had a big bore kit ( don't remember what final displacement was ) and it was one of the most awesome motors of anything I've ever ridden , including some of the classic big bore 2-strokes . I am 185lbs and it had more balls than you would need with throttle response like a rheostat and it didn't seem to matter what gear you were in . Pulled incredible from the bottom to the top and made cornering a dream . Almost made me go over to " the dark side " but I was hooked on pre-mix exhaust .

215lbs here. Got 2013 yz250f. Only time its noticeable slow is going uphills next to someone 50-60lbs lighter than me. Get the 250f and if its still too slow big bore it like halffast said.

Thanks for the input so far guys, I am leaning toward the 250F after reading how many of you are on them, and weigh more then me and still enjoy them.. I talked to Stacey Crute this morning as he is nearly the same weight as I am and has a YZ250F.. I am off Monday, State8 has a 2 2014 YZ250Fs a white one and a blue one for around $5800 new, I may go check them out. Thanks again.

Well I tried to stay away and I just couldn't.. I bought a 2012 YZ125 a year and a half ago and sold it cause I tried to grow up, that didn't happen. Im looking into buying another bike, and I feel like I was to big for the 125 anyway. My issue is im stuck between a 250F and a 450F. Im 5 foot 9inches tall, weigh about 174lbs, my skill level would be somewhere around a top 10 C rider ... ish. Ive been riding 13 years. I feel like im kinda in the middle between being to heavy for a 250F but to light for a 450F.. I would really like to get a new 250F but just nervous ill be to big. My question is, any guys my size or heavier still riding a 250F? I had a 2004 YZ250F when I was younger, and less fat and loved it.. but that was 24 pounds ago..I looked at the KTM 350 but the price tag on those just doesn't look like a good time.. A 2 stroke is out of the question, I already have a 1996 YZ250 in the garage that just isn't fun for me to ride. Im dead set on a 4 stroke I just don't know what to buy..... First world problems. Thoughts/opinions ?
Im 5'11 about 210 lbs and last year I raced a bone stock 2009 crf250 in 25+, while 450's were clearly faster I loved the 250f Bc I could ride it to the max of my ability

Thanks for the input so far guys, I am leaning toward the 250F after reading how many of you are on them, and weigh more then me and still enjoy them.. I talked to Stacey Crute this morning as he is nearly the same weight as I am and has a YZ250F.. I am off Monday, State8 has a 2 2014 YZ250Fs a white one and a blue one for around $5800 new, I may go check them out. Thanks again.
Get a 15 yz250f and the gytr tuner. It's all you'll need. No suspension revalve needed and you'll get 200 hours out of the bullet proof engine says MXA.

You must not ride them very hard because at an A class pace you cant go more than 15 or 20 hrs on piston and rings or youre giving up to much and taking a chance.

You must not ride them very hard because at an A class pace you cant go more than 15 or 20 hrs on piston and rings or youre giving up to much and taking a chance.

false, because I race 250 and open A as well as 25+A when available. Yamahas were the best 07-09 yamahas were the best four stroke ever built and they were reliable.

Get a deal on both... We can go splitzies

Stein, when my bike blew up at fastraxx for the LL qualifier in 2013 that was it... The whole motor went, bottom to the top, but from 07 to 13 all I ever did was change the piston rings, and the timing chain.. Valves were always in spec and the piston showed no signs of wear, my pops is a mechanic and did all maintenance to my bike. I never did a top end or anything, that's why I say those year yamahas were the best and most reliable four strokes made to this date.

Back