Track etiquette where have you gone????

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
Ok. So I actually had a couple "interesting" run-ins yesterday on the tracks. Which has prompted me to ponder track safety and rider etiquette. I am planning to have some track etiquette signs made up and posted at each track entrance. So what belongs on the track etiquette signs? What's your top 5 things that we need to educate new riders and possibly remind veterans that have adopted some bad habits?

1. Don't be an A-hole
2. Enter HERE, Exit HERE
3. Have FUN. This is for FUN.
4. HOLD YOUR LINE!
5. If you cut the track, we will cut you.

continue to add to the list my friends.....

Look to be sure it's clear before entering the track.

Pay attention to the other riders around you. If you have a wobbler in front of you wait until its clear to pass.

When there is a rider down, stop riding. Not just that section of the track. Park it and wait.

Plan your exit from the track. For example, if the track exits to the left, get to the left side of the track
when its clear to do so. Don't do the jump on the right side, then cut to the left.
Holding up your left hand has been the long time signal to let others know you're stopping.

If you're going to roll a jump make sure to be on the furthest side of the hump while still being on the track.

And what fool would dare roll onto the track slowly by riding up and over the back of berm, and by chance present him and his dirt bike broad side for me to possible T-bone (perfectly by the way), in plain sight, no visibility issues, if one uses his eyeballs, the ones in his head? Luckily I was able to avoid said head on collision, but I gave the guy a complimentary WTH gesture (not the one with a finger), and he had the nerve to give it back as if I screwed up. AND IF YOU ARE READING THIS NEXT TIME I WILL FORGET MY BRAKES, maybe even catch a gear.....In addition to etiquette signs, I want the plain signs that say "think" on them....those are needed everywhere.

1. Don't pass a downed rider. Stop and help or signal oncoming riders
2. Don't stop on or near the track
3. If your not at speed, get out of the main line(s)
4. No one cares about your attempt at a whip or scrub
5. You can't win practice. D-bag!

"don't want no scrubs"

Couple years ago at the Vern, I come over the finish...on the gas hard when some dickbeater decides to exit the track. He was on the left side of the track, the exits on the right! I saw my life flash before my eyes as I tried not to kill us both...... he then turns and flicks me off! Its amazing how stupid people can be... I don't think signs will change that but I do like the idea for the "THINK" signs. I will call you tomorrow J.O. My brother makes metal signs that wont fade.

Plant signs with each numbered rule all over the track in every corner.. On race day flip the signs down to just numbers and now you have numbered turns the entire way around the track.

In addition to etiquette signs, I want the plain signs that say "think" on them....those are needed everywhere.

The basic problem is...most people believe that sign is intended for the OTHER guy......of course THEY think, (or so they THINK).....when in fact, THEY DON'T!!

You can't fix stupid. I have had numerous butt-pucker moments like Hause said above as well as getting t-boned by an idiot cutting the track and looking up-track as he t-boned me!

Put your damn hand up, look behind you BEFORE exiting the track at the nearest place to exit
HOLD your line! Kids especially, but many adults don't either
If you roll a jump (like I often do!) Hold your line, off to one side and glance back prior to make sure you can see anyone coming right for you
If I am apparently in YOUR line and you decide to drill me, I will, and I mean it, ride like a lunatic and make sure you remember me

Holdin your line is fine. No need to look back you'll just turn that way and makes your chances of getting broad sided a little better.

It is sad that when a person does something wrong and is called on it the person at fault cannot even assume the responsibility. You see it everyday on the road. A person cuts you off, you honk and they flip you the bird as if YOU were the one who screwed up. In these situations there should be a clause that states, "If a person at fault makes an obscene gesture, or cusses at the person who called them out for their mistake, the person originally at fault is allowed to receive an a##whooping or two - maybe three with no criminal charges to be filed against the person delivering the a##whooping." That is the problem with society today. People do not feel that they are accountable for any of their actions. I am sure you all can relate to this frustration. Shred on brothers and sisters! Life gets easier after the first 100 years. Rich

Holdin your line is fine. No need to look back you'll just turn that way and makes your chances of getting broad sided a little better.

Not an issue if you are already off to one side of the jump and not in the primary line.....like the one you hotshots will be taking

I saw a real close call at Briarcliff this weekend too. A guy pulled on the track (apparently without looking) right out in front of another rider at the end of the straightaway after the finish line. Could have been very ugly if he had pulled out just a split second later.

JO, ever consider putting some sort of banner or something that funnels people more to the middle of that turn when they pull on the track? Most people do it on their own but not always. Id rather have someone pull out in front of my in a corner than 4th gear down a straight if it is going to happen.

Back