Chillicothe Vintage HS/MX Sat June 13

Anybody heard any word on the situation with drum braked 84s needing to run with the more modern bikes with disc brakes?

I'm trying to be there. Discovered this week just how much work the '73 and '83 Yamahas really need. Nothing is pretty but they are patched together and seem to run. If I feel up to it could do HS and MX. And if they don't let me run PV with the '83 (have a modern '96), I'll protest with mooch! :mad: But I'd imagine that it will be a small group and plenty accommodating. :)

I'm trying to be there. Discovered this week just how much work the '73 and '83 Yamahas really need. Nothing is pretty but they are patched together and seem to run. If I feel up to it could do HS and MX. And if they don't let me run PV with the '83 (have a modern '96), I'll protest with mooch! :mad: But I'd imagine that it will be a small group and plenty accommodating. :)
My understanding is if you bring a vintage bike you can ride, seems more of a fun event

Anybody heard any word on the situation with drum braked 84s needing to run with the more modern bikes with disc brakes?

http://www.chillicotheenduro.com/

They updated their site with this year and class information - link is above.

Vintage Classes will include:
  • Vintage A & B - up to 1974
  • Post Vintage A & B - 1974-1982 with no disc brakes or PV
  • Evo A & B - 1983-1990 may be water cooled and have disc brakes
  • Modern A & B - 1990-1998
Moto classes will be broken down as above with 100-200cc machines having a separate class from 201-open cc machines if we have enough entries.

We will find a class for you to race your old bike. You will not be turned away. Bikes that are like models to prior year will be placed in that class.

I was anxious to debut my 84 YZ250 but am not going to now. It is just a little too outside the defined rules for this Evo classification. The YZ will wait for Mid-Ohio.

They did split Evo and Modern. I see 16 potential classes which looks like plenty and am just ready to have some fun.

I am thinking about bringing a 92 RM125 and entering my first harescramble.

See you all in the morning!!!!

Well, guess I should have read that before loading the old HiPoint.
20150612_212427~2_resized_1.jpg

Don't know what I thinking. I'm not going to have enough energy for three old bikes. Think I'll replace the '83 with a GP bike for later.
We are finally getting some much needed rain here in west central Ohio.

Yep, I'm passing...just a bit too sketchy on where my 84 RM 250 with drum brakes would fit in. Too much driving to test the waters on that, if I do any riding it'll be at home or closer to home. Hope it turns out to be a good event and everyone has a good time!

HS track was a lot of fun! Unfortunately I spent too much energy in the heat racing PV and NC back to back, so I had to forgo the MX.

A fun event,1st moto went well, half an hour of hard rain made the 2nd moto a mud fest, nice job for a first time mx organizer. Good Pit Racer turnout.

I enjoyed it - great group that ran the event and it was for a good cause. HS track was fun but I reminded myself that my clutch, or maybe just my hand/arm, doesn't like an hour long race - I stalled it like 8 times. I pitted with Charlie Mullins(National GNCC racer) dad also named Charlie - he and his buddy Chuck just got PV bikes and are pretty pumped about it. Great guys and oh yeah - really fast. Charlie lapped me in the HS, well so did misstheflip..... I'm just proud to say I finished and didn't go down. The second moto of MX was pretty interesting.

Chillicothe Enduro Riders put in a lot of time and effort laying out a great vintage HS course. Though I'm not a HS guy, I rode in two of the three sessions to realize why I'm not a HS guy and despite some bike troubles still had a great time. How does that happen?

The club put some serious work in also to build a fine motocross track. All disced up with some old bike friendly single jumps, staked and tape lined. Old school rubber band start too! Looked like fun and I really wanted to blast around it on the 360 but the downpour began as my moto headed to the line. So much for blasting around. We had been lucky to that point with storms all around the area. I was tired enough from the HS in the heat and humidity. I slowly slopped around for a lap and called it a day.

Good to put faces with PitRacer names. Just happened pit between a couple of them. These guys really enjoy their old bikes!

A thanks to Chillicothe Enduro Riders from me as well for putting in the prep time and hosting a well organized event.

Rode my first ever HS, at least most of it. Good to get into the woods. Unlike Bill can't say I finished or didn't go down.

During the second moto, I spent more time face down in the mud than on two wheels.

Enjoyed meeting some regular PitRacers posters and catching up.

I would like to thank everyone who came out to the race over the weekend. I really enjoy the vintage day and hope that they {CERA} continue to have it. I had been in the club but the last couple of years I have stepped aside but was ask to help on this event and told them that I would. The race has become one of the camps major supporters. This was the 3rd year for the event and each year it gets better, we were very disappointed in the turn out. As the riders that did show up, you could tell what kind of effort was put on bye the club to make sure that the riders got there moneys worth. The turn out must get better for these clubs to continue to do this. Again thanks for coming out and hope to see everyone at Midohio. Kevin Claytor

Being someone with an 84 RM250, this is my personal opinion.

To help with rider attendance in the future, I believe it would help if concrete info on specifics such as how classes are divided up between post vintage and modern classes well in advance of the event taking place. Folks who live several hours away tend to want to know for sure what class they'll definitely be in prior to making the drive. For an event to simply indicate that participants will be able to ride in some sort of class rather than giving specific details comes across as flying by the seat of your pants.

But then, the rainy weather forecast for that weekend probably didn't help matters either though.

CERA is an off road club. The MX was a first time addition to their HS program. There were only three motos with combined class gates. Sure wish the rain would have held off a little longer. I signed up right after the last HS during the MX practice and ended up with only a lap of practice during the first moto. I really wanted to race that track. They had even built a cool downhill, turn, uphill and jump out of the woods section. Was a mooch acceptable, short race program but there's no controlling the weather...

Back