Growing our Sport ?

hershey

PR Elite
Ok.... I am NOT singling out any tracks here. If anyone gets a clue of tracks I may or may not be talking about here DONT SAY WHICH ONE!!

So I am new to this whole Pee Wee thing. My 5 year old twins are now into the PW50 scene. The boy has great form and progressing better than I expected. My girl is a typical girl driver type...looking everywhere but where she is going and no control at all! Lol

Anyway, last year I took them to a track without riding myself 2 times. Both times I was greeted with enthusiasm and asked for $10 for both to ride on the peewee track. Good deal! They had a blast both times except the last one my daughter freaked out and froze up full throttle all the way to the road where luckly Mom was and picked her off the bike as she came steaming by!

Back on point, the $10 for two was a good deal, I would be happy at $10 each. Fast forward to this year. Been 4 times the last few weeks. First tracks were $20 PER kid, 2nd was the same and the third track charged me $25 each kid.

Now mind you Im talking riding on the Pee Wee track, not any of the prepped tracks. For those not familiar the Pee Wee tracks are generally very smooth with few small if any jumps at all. No disc, ripper or prep involved. 2 of the 4 threw down just the right amount of water 1 time.

Im all about paying for track costs and we have hashed over the $25 practice day for big bikes enough times that we all get it. As a seasoned Vet rider I am familiar with the cost of track upkeep and the need for $25 fee, but I can not swallow paying 20 -25 for an unprepped peewee track. And if Im in the sport and dont like it what are people new to the sport thinking? For the Pee Wee style track with very little to no prep shouldnt $10 be enough? Wouldnt track owners want MORE riders at this level to come and get hooked? Honestly I wont be taking both my kids very often any more, I had planned on taking them both days a week I try to ride.

Maybe I am seeing it wrong but isnt this discouraging to parents to pay this much for a pee wee type track? And remember Im not talking about when the PW's are riding on the main track in sessions that everyone else is, if its prepped and they are on it then pay your share.

Thoughts please without track names or bashing.

I've been there but with only one pilot so it was a bit easier. I have mixed feelings on it and always have. My son always put in enough laps on the pee wee track that it only cost a penny a lap. Lol. He does not care about dust, rocks, etc. so track prep is not an issue. I have introduced a few families over the years to a practice day on the pee wee track and they had a ball and didn't seem to mind the fee. We have always looked at it as a camp out kinda day so we are paying for more than just riding. I do see your point Mr. Hershey. Just bite the bullet for now and soon your little pilots will be on all tracks offered. My concern has always been race day. I have a neighbor family of 5 with just one racing. 50 bucks for them to get in the gate to watch the one son race. Over the years it has dwindled down to just dad and son to save a few bucks. We are always inviting friends to come watch the boy race but the cost usually deters them. Yes, I suppose they would rather go to a movie than watch the greatest sport in the world. Again, I understand all sides of the deal. I have come to the conclusion that it is a fair deal on all sides. I have seen how much work, money and time goes into a track and honestly think we are getting the better end of the deal. Even if we are just riding the pee wee track. Welcome to my world Dave but yours is double trouble! I hope you don't turn into a crazy mini parent! I would like to see a certain pee wee track get a face lift. ;)

With the high numbers of 50 and 65 racers, sure seems like a practice day just for them would pay off. Little to no track maintenance. Or at least a partial day where the big bike ride 10 to 2 and little guys 2 to 6.
Pee wee tracks are great but my son for sure needs seat time on a full size track. Heck, I would drive 3 hours one way if I knew the day was just for them.

The minute we drop it to $10, then every single 85 parent says oh yeah, hes 6 and rides the mini track, and the poor gate girl gets had.....again. But just a heads up when we bump the price again, we might keep the kids at $25......That should help ya out.

The minute we drop it to $10, then every single 85 parent says oh yeah, hes 6 and rides the mini track, and the poor gate girl gets had.....again. But just a heads up when we bump the price again, we might keep the kids at $25......That should help ya out.

So your gonna bump it more than $25?

He's talking future John. Not tomorrow. He's put in a long term investment at his unnamed location/track. Right?

Things to consider before you get you panties in a wad there... I have not much to comment since I haven't a little one to ride...yet. However, the little tikes I bet put more track time on the peewee tracks than most other do on their tracks... Like Fish said, "pennies per lap". :)

That's rough for the mini track. I've seen some nice setups though that are definitely worth it for the kids, and others that should be priced accordingly.
I know when I have kids they will be spending a lot of time riding the Backyard Traininig Facility.

Wristbands/stickers should solve that?

We charge $25 to ride whether you are riding trails, C track, kids track, big track, one eared donkey, whatever. Keeps it simple. I have seen people bring their kids and let them put around in the fields and learn to ride. Its been this way for years. I have never had a pee wee track price in 10 years of operating, and people still come.

I don't know what to tell you guys, sell a mustang, sell a bike, don't ride, let your kids ride, but my business is my business. I'm the one left holding the bag if something catastrophic happens.

And you can see your money being spent at Briarcliff, so keep supporting the cheapo tracks that have no reinvestment plan. Let me know what they are doing to improve the facility to make it a nice place for your grandchildren to ride.

Okay from an outsiders view point, "I'm just getting started in the mx world with my 6 year old" even at 25 dollars it doesn't seem bad compared to alot of other activities.
One question I have is if my son does get good and needs track time a few days a week does any place offer season membership so you can pay an upfront lump sum and have access all season?

Last edited:
One thing I would like to see at Briarcliff would be some 15 minute sessions on the C track for the 50's. It's great that the kids get to ride the big track on race day, but getting to practice on a real track would be cool as well.

You could even go 15 minutes for 50's, 15 for 65's and 85's, and 30 minutes for big bikes every hour.

Another thought is on one day during the weekend when you are open devote the C track solely to minis and run 30 min for 50's and 30min for 65 and 85's. Market it that way and I bet racers would show up for it.

For 50 riders who race the kid tracks that most places have are kind of a waste of time. I understand they serve a purpose, but kids that race need seat time on real race tracks.

I personally wouldn't want to clutter the big track up with minis and run sessions because then it becomes difficult to ride long motos if you are trying to train. If you did run them on the big track the big bikes need to be able to have 30 minute sessions.

One thing I would like to see at Briarcliff would be some 15 minute sessions on the C track for the 50's. It's great that the kids get to ride the big track on race day, but getting to practice on a real track would be cool as well.

You could even go 15 minutes for 50's, 15 for 65's and 85's, and 30 minutes for big bikes every hour.

Another thought is on one day during the weekend when you are open devote the C track solely to minis and run 30 min for 50's and 30min for 65 and 85's. Market it that way and I bet racers would show up for it.

For 50 riders who race the kid tracks that most places have are kind of a waste of time. I understand they serve a purpose, but kids that race need seat time on real race tracks.

I personally wouldn't want to clutter the big track up with minis and run sessions because then it becomes difficult to ride long motos if you are trying to train. If you did run them on the big track the big bikes need to be able to have 30 minute sessions.
Briarcliff does 2 sessions for small bikes on the A track on open practice days. To be honest there have been very few little bikes taking advantage of this. To make a day devoted to C track for just minis just wouldn't work IMO, most would rather ride the A track anyway. I've never seen anyone run an all out 30 minute session on the A track, so that is not needed during split practices.

Briarcliff does 2 sessions for small bikes on the A track on open practice days. To be honest there have been very few little bikes taking advantage of this. To make a day devoted to C track for just minis just wouldn't work IMO, most would rather ride the A track anyway. I've never seen anyone run an all out 30 minute session on the A track, so that is not needed during split practices.
As far as I know they don't run 50's on the A track during practice and I'm not I asking for this anyway. They run 85's. And there is no way that a pw50 should be on the same track with an 85 anyway. It would be great for 50's to get some exclusive time on the C track though.

Last edited:
Not trying to take over this thread, but I am strongly considering alternating big and little in the c track. I think I have a guy to do it.

As far as I know they don't run 50's on the A track during practice and I'm not I asking for this anyway. They run 85's. And there is no way that a pw50 should be on the same track with an 85 anyway. It would be great for 50's to get some exclusive time on the C track though.
Gotchya! I forgot the 85 and under for small bike session. Well, looks like you may get your wish for the Cliff!!

Not trying to take over this thread, but I am strongly considering alternating big and little in the c track. I think I have a guy to do it.
Do you mean having separate times just for the little guys? I hope so, I was out of town this past weekend and missed the race I want to see your place. A 50 only practice time and you will earn my money. That's the ol' carrot dangler

I would LOVE to see that happen! As someone else mentioned, for a 50 rider that races, its hard to practice on a smooth, easy track then show up to race day and race something completely different and more challenging.....

I think every one is missing the point here. Its not about spending $25, I dont mind if the pee wee track is prepped. Its what my kids are getting for $25. I pay $25 and get a fully prepped and groomed full size track. The pee wee riders get a dry dusty untouched (for the most part) track for the same $$$$. This applies to every track I have taken them to so far. Again this isnt a thread to bitch about any track in particular. Im talking about giving the sport a boost by taking care of the 50 riders. They are tomorrows big bike rider with $$$ to spend.

Running a track and running a business are 2 different things. Being good at one doesnt mean you are good at another. A good business model works today to reap the benefits of tomorrow. As a sport the business model isnt working. It is scaring away new riders on big bikes and not giving an incentive to bring in new kids on 50's.

$10 is free money on an unprepped pee wee track. You advertise that price and by the end of summer the smart business man will see double or triple the number of pee wee track riders. Next year even more.

But hey, 3-5 kids on the pee wee track is great money now and for the future isnt it.

Back