Growing our Sport ?

I damn near dropped a c note going to the movies last week! Laser tag, more. That trampoline place, more. Water park, forget about it! Local pool, half a c note. I'll find out how much the karts are gonna cost me this week. Most people that try Moto are ones with parents that did it or are referrals. So as a referral, teach them how to keep it less expensive. Little Dave does not need top of the line gear or the 7000 dollar special edition KTM 65 to race local races. Remember, after 20 years removed from the sport my little Jack wagon chose a cvt miniquad to race. I know expense. I never once thought about track prices, membership dues etc. I do have an idea Hershey! You should build a PW sidecar racer for your little racers! How awesome would that be! Half the price, plus cool factor! Bottom line is, you either wanna race or you just like to ride. I am going to try some of these ideas though. When we go to Cedar Point this year I am going to ask them if I can just try the place out for the day.

Point taken. No need to try and grow the sport.

I give up.

Last week at Dayton:
Gate admission for 2 = $20
Signup for one class = 25
2 hotdogs and 2 cokes = $3
Total = $48 for 8 hours of fun with my son. Or $6 per hour
Tuesday we went to a movie
2 tickets = $22
a bag of pop corn and a coke = 8.50
Total = $30.50 for 2 hours of setting next to my son and never talking. Or $15.25 per hour.

I have no idea why some people spend so much money when you don't have to.
Oh, and don't say "You forgot about the $4500 for the bike, gas, gear and the rest" You get money back when you sell the bike at the end of the year. How much can I get for the used movie tickets at the end of the year?

And when someone is just coming into the sport, you can come in much less than some do. Its all about how much money you want to spend. Like I said, I race alot more than probably most that post on pitracer, and me and my son spend no where near what some people spend in the sport.

I give up too!

LOL! Hence my reluctance to post anything.

We need to grow the sport by having existing racers with sufficient income to have more babies as that is the only option left open.

People need to be content with the way things are if they are unwilling to make changes.

You can't love your business into black ink year after year. You can't fix a declining customer base by increasing the burden on the ones that remain.

Our group scheduled 4 OMA races the first year. Of those 4, two actually happned when they were scheduled. Of those two there was one we would consider going back to. I'm not going to buy a sanction card to run an unsanctioned class once a year. I feel I got hosed by buying one for my son and I the first year for what I was expecting, and what was actually delivered, but I chalked it up to the infancy of the enterprise. I've seen nothing that compels me to try again.

If nothing is better than the whole enchilada in somebody's business model, it probably works well when your focus is established racers.

My mission is to bring riders off the trails and onto the tracks. I select tracks and organizations that are most condusive to getting (mostly adult) reluctant people started, as smoothly, least costly, and uncomplicated as possible, and I don't make a dime promoting anything.

I'm trying to imagine a car dealer demanding a down payment before allowing a test drive.

Last week at Dayton:
Gate admission for 2 = $20
Signup for one class = 25
2 hotdogs and 2 cokes = $3
Total = $48 for 8 hours of fun with my son. Or $6 per hour
Tuesday we went to a movie
2 tickets = $22
a bag of pop corn and a coke = 8.50
Total = $30.50 for 2 hours of setting next to my son and never talking. Or $15.25 per hour.

I have no idea why some people spend so much money when you don't have to.
Oh, and don't say "You forgot about the $4500 for the bike, gas, gear and the rest" You get money back when you sell the bike at the end of the year. How much can I get for the used movie tickets at the end of the year?

You are right, I said you can do it cheaper than I do. Most times I do not spend a ton, But when my non-moto kid comes, I spend a little on him for being a good sport and burning a whole weekend at something he couldn't care less about.
There was a time I could not afford a bike let alone go riding.

Sharc remembers the day I built a bike stand out of aluminum lawnchairs for my bikes! wish I had a picture of that!

Well this past weekend definitely brings many things into perspective. May 9-10 we have people arguing with us, cussing us out over a $10 refund for Saturday practice on a 347 entry weekend. This past weekend we have 819 entries that paid roughly $70 a pop (on average) to ride and be here. They rode the same track, same dirt, but too entirely different experiences. My question for the geniuses on here, how detrimental was the Area Q at BC to OUR SPORT? The original topic is about growing our sport, so do races like this grow our sport, spark interest?

Well this past weekend definitely brings many things into perspective. May 9-10 we have people arguing with us, cussing us out over a $10 refund for Saturday practice on a 347 entry weekend. This past weekend we have 819 entries that paid roughly $70 a pop (on average) to ride and be here. They rode the same track, same dirt, but too entirely different experiences. My question for the geniuses on here, how detrimental was the Area Q at BC to OUR SPORT? The original topic is about growing our sport, so do races like this grow our sport, spark interest?
Yes...duh.

The OP is about grass roots which make the Pro's and National level possible.

Congratulations on a successful national.

Nearly all the racers at your facility this past weekend used to be knee high to a grasshopper on two wheels. Their parents most likely started in the grass first too.

Ask Tim Ferry!?

The only reason I ask this question is because in other threads many people have suggested price/cost as a limiting factor to the growth of the sport......I'm playing devils advocate and possibly his friend too here.

The only reason I ask this question is because in other threads many people have suggested price/cost as a limiting factor to the growth of the sport......I'm playing devils advocate and possibly his friend too here.
The folks on the national level are committed...chips are all in.
Grass roots...well poker players have to make their first bet sometime.

Hardly any parker player puts all their chips in on the first hand...each table has a different level buy in and players all come with varying amount of chips to start with.

Excpet this ain't poker...its motocross... and your draw of longevity is grass roots. The National level needs the grass roots. The grass roots don't need the national's to exist...But the National's are the pinnacle of motocross...not the chief cornerstone.

Saw some pics...place looks real good. Whoever was in attendance was loving the racing.

Yes the big races draw attention for sure which makes the grass roots stronger, then the ball rolls...started back in the 50s.

Again...good job.

To the parent that doesnt have a chip to spare but still wants his child to play...thats the backbone of our sport.

The people are the backbone.

You choose your market. If it were me with what you have...Keep the grass growing, mow the lawn, water the grass...then enjoy the sunshine with a good breeze.

Detrimental? Not sure anyone said a qualifier was detrimental. Biggest complaint about a qualifier is the fact you have to send money to mx sports just to race one.
So did your race for the sport? I guess you are the only one who can answer that. How many of those 819 paid entries also bought an AMA card at this event and was making it their first race? If the answer is zero then you have the answer.
Answering the question of did it spark interest is not possible to answer since no one at the AMA will be asking. A question not asked is never answered and the sport suffers for not knowing what brought the new racer to the track.

Exactly as has been said in above posts. No one ever said LL events were to costly. It is what it is and if you are going for that you are all in. Price isnt the determining factor generally. Although I have heard some say it is.

You want to grow the sport from the ground up then give first time and new racers a reason to check it out. Give 50cc tracks that require zero and minimal track prep a discount on practice days. If you spend as much effort on the peewee track as the main track then charge the premium fee.

That isnt the crowd you had this weekend.

You want to grow the sport from the ground up then give first time and new racers a reason to check it out. Give 50cc tracks that require zero and minimal track prep a discount on practice days. If you spend as much effort on the peewee track as the main track then charge the premium fee.
Pay it for forward right hershey?

Honestly Knox, I was kinda shocked at how many rookie racers we had. Some of the kids looked as though they had ridden much, let alone raced before. I do know they we sold a ton of qualifier forms. Which is somewhat surprising being that we are the last in the region.

I do think the qualifier and all the bigger race events do help grow the sport, I was just being a smart ass about the cost, because some of the cheap a***s in the room.

There were around 650 qualifier forms sold out of the 819 entries. (Technically you don't have to send any money to MX sports to race a qualifier). And I would guess 10 or so new memberships sold.

$40.00 per class is the most I have ever paid for a qualifier. Or any race.

Hershey. No discount for pee wee track. I would rather have better pee wee track. ( not singling out any track)
Next year I want nick on all the main tracks anyway, so maybe the pee wee market is too small to support.

We paid 25 or 30 for red bud. Full price , give us a better track.

$40.00 per class is the most I have ever paid for a qualifier. Or any race.

Hershey. No discount for pee wee track. I would rather have better pee wee track. ( not singling out any track)
Next year I want nick on all the main tracks anyway, so maybe the pee wee market is too small to support.

We paid 25 or 30 for red bud. Full price , give us a better track.

Yes we did ($30), doing it again this weekend for that very reason. Im not cheap and would rather have the better track too , but entry level first timers are usually not understanding of this. And lets face it, most of the pee wee tracks are given little to no attention when it comes to up keep. Im sure this will be the only year I will have Austin on them too, but Ayla will be there a couple more years I bet.

I get it... thats why I said make it better not cheaper. maybe 5 bucks cheaper.

I am considering Red Bud for the weekend. I am so tired though........

I guess I'm supposed to reply as one of the "cheap ass geniuses".

"Growth of the sport in Ohio" is the total number of active MX racers in Ohio this year as compared to last which should not be confused with growth of turnout at BC events.

How many of these were first time racers? That's your growth OF THE SPORT for this event.
How many were first time racers at a BC event this year? That's your growth OF THE SPORT as a promoter.

Again I'll refer you back to my initial posts. Cliff notes version - Costs are not out of line for racers who love the sport. Costs are the greatest obstacle in getting luke warm interested parties into the sport in order that they may learn to love it enough to spend their money freely later.

Back