Cost of a National

John250

PR Founding Father
I got a card in the mail for Red Buds National weekend. I've not been to an outdoor National in years, only Supercross Indy, Detroit and Daytona. Man, I cant believe what they charge to get into a national now!!

$45 entry
$10 parking
$65 for one night camping

And if your there more than just Saturday, all those prices go up. $45 for entry into an outdoor national seems crazy to me. I don't have indoor bathrooms, I don't have a nice seat to sit in......It cost $25 for the BEST seat in the house in Daytona!!

I got the same post card in the mail, after Don Kenworthey raised his prices and then on top of that he charged to park, how in the hell are you going to get there but to drive, I swore that I would not go back but I did every year. I have been to redbud several times, one year after paying to get in I noticed new bleachers and I thought it is about time that we have somewhere to set but of course they were an extra $10. Hardly no one was in them. Anyway yes $45 is a lot of money for 1 day of racing but what else are we going to do.

Don't go. I can't wait until you open a track John. It's going to be cheap as hell. Not sure how long you'll run it, but still cannot wait. ;)

It's like this, they charge it because they can and peeps pay it. Once peeps stop going, the price will come down. You're just looking at it on the surface and from your vantage point only. A lot more goes into running a track than you care to know. It's far from prep track, midday prep, done....

Ok look at it like this.........
$45 x 30,000 = $1,350,000
12,500 cars = $125,000
6000 camp for one night x $65 = $390,000
That's $1,865,000
This does not take into account all the people paying for multiple days etc. So lets say its probably a 3 to 3.5 million dollar weekend. What's the pro purse for those privateers? Yeah, the guys that fill most the gate at an outdoor national......that's what I thought......

I have three kids and a wife. That would be a $400 day easily. So you can say what you want.......But if I go the best supercross of the year, the whole family can get in for $125 (no additional fees), free parking, and you can even take in coolers and food to Daytona!!

Scoob get your nose out of every track owners arse. Its a rip off and you know it.
I have not been to a national since I raced in one and will not until the prices come down. If it never happens, then that is fine also. I will gladly sit on my couch and watch for free.
Red Bud is a great track and has a fine facility to hold an event like this, but why not give other tracks the chance to host a national? Then other tracks can afford to make upgrades and we benefit as a sport because we have more venues.
That weekend I think I will drive 3 hours in the other direction and give my money to the Vern. Besides, I don't think I can handle hearing another drunk idiot yell RRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDD BBBBBBBBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDDDDD every 2 seconds again.

mt morris is a rip off. roll in around 10 friday night they charge you 70 they actually charge you 35 for friday when its 10 at night. then 70 to camp.

That $400 for one day at a National is going to two local races to race. It pretty much cost my son and I $200 a race or damn close to it.

John, me and my girlfriend went to high point two weeks ago, got there Friday night at 5pm. It costs us $105 a piece for the weekend. We got to camp for two nights and that included our ticket into the track all weekend, so to me $105 isn't bad because I'd pay more at a supercross race. By the time I pay for a hotel in Indianapolis, buy two decent tickets, alcohol at the stadium, and some food I'm well over the $210 for the weekend mark... So in all reality it's more affordable than a sx race. Plus at an Mx race, I can go wherever the hell I please and watch the race, sx I'm limited to my seat only. Nationals over supercross any day

You are paying for the camping atmosphere. it costs a lot of money to keep screaming drunks playing loud rap music, and runnig obnoxious generators to power their phone charger all night.

The AMA moto is "If you can't afford it, we didn't want you here anyhow."

I went to MIS for 4 days, all good food included, and watched 3 races. Also attended two awesome concerts for total of $125. And that track was a 5 hour is ride away.

And the stands were damn near empty on Sunday.

Ask mx sports to report profits.

"DC- as Id love to report on profits, and I wish I could, but until I can figure out how to afford to I guess we will just keep working at trying to report it."

From the perspective of the promoter, if I were red bud and had been in the game since the early 70s, meaning I have built my facility this long, and I'm at the top, I'm charging whatever the majority will pay, is it a shitty attitude or is it payback for all the shitty days on the past?? I don't blame them one bit. You spend that time in trenches, you deserve the reward.

Scoob get your nose out of every track owners arse. Its a rip off and you know it.
I have not been to a national since I raced in one and will not until the prices come down. If it never happens, then that is fine also. I will gladly sit on my couch and watch for free.
Red Bud is a great track and has a fine facility to hold an event like this, but why not give other tracks the chance to host a national? Then other tracks can afford to make upgrades and we benefit as a sport because we have more venues.
That weekend I think I will drive 3 hours in the other direction and give my money to the Vern. Besides, I don't think I can handle hearing another drunk idiot yell RRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDD BBBBBBBBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDDDDD every 2 seconds again.
My nose is well placed thank you. All y'all just need to stay home anyway and bitch your way into the next week. If you can't afford it or do not want to afford it as you try to say, don't go. A lot of us wouldn't want to hear you junking up this board with your whining anyway.

Now do not take that as I think it's an inexpensive transaction/trip, but I'm on the side of any business owner in business to provide a service and make some money while at it. You charge what peeps will pay. Simple as that. And so you know, I'd like to go, but am not. However, I'm not griping about it. It's good business. More power to 'em. Wish I was as smart as they are...

Well you didn't. So you can't.
But they did and are...as he said...

My nose is well placed thank you. All y'all just need to stay home anyway and bitch your way into the next week. If you can't afford it or do not want to afford it as you try to say, don't go. A lot of us wouldn't want to hear you junking up this board with your whining anyway.

Nobody is any more tired of hearing that stuff John says than they are hearing you try and talk with your head so far up JO and the OMA's ass that your voice is muffled.

Now any one can say what they want here, maybe you dont like it but plenty may not like what you have to say either. That is the freedom we have in this country. Be glad you can do it, in North Korea, China and many other countries you cant. They have sensored internet access too. Lighten up. It seems you have had the only bad attitude in the thread.

Now back to the topic at hand. It is effing pricey, no question about it. The great thing is John 259/338 is doing exactly what you told him, not going, because its too much for him. That was his point. Personally I think its too damn much also, the figures given are conservative IMO. Remember that there are track sponsors paying too. The difference between stick and ball sports is right there. The team owners pay the team with ticket sales and sponsorship money, MXsports pockets it and expects the individual teams to pay the riders or the privateers to pay themselves. So be it, they choose to ride. And I choose to attend RED BUD!!! To the tune of $800 for the weekend for a family of 4. Its the first outdoor national for my kids, their mother and the dog. Also its been 10 years or better since I have gone to one.

Worth every penny, of course we have VIP passes and front row RV parking starting Weds night.

Nobody is any more tired of hearing that stuff John says than they are hearing you try and talk with your head so far up JO and the OMA's ass that your voice is muffled.
OK Hershey Bar...you truely can be a JA...as I'm sure you know, so moot point. Although you could be right with the first part of the comment, you couldn't be farther away from the truth on the other...my head is also well placed along with my nose. JO is in Nashport and I'm in C'bus as far as I know and OMA doesn't have an ass that I know of. You're talking about the Ohio MX Assoc. right?

I just personally get tired of JA's like you thinking you know what you're talking about with your opinion. Just feels to me like your bitching. You offer very few solutions...applicable ones anywho. IMO of course. Has nothing to do where my head or nose is. It's like watching the news or afternoon soaps to me. Aggrevates me. I do not comment as much as I could. It's a no win situation with ego's like yours, etc. As far as what you think...does not matter to me though.

As you say...
Now any one can say what they want here, maybe you dont like it but plenty may not like what you have to say either. That is the freedom we have in this country. Be glad you can do it, in North Korea, China and many other countries you cant. They have sensored internet access too. Lighten up. It seems you have had the only bad attitude in the thread.
...I may. Just hate all the negative comments and whining. Does aggrevate me as I said. Maybe I am in a bad mood and comments made IMO are bullshit. Do I expect my comments to change the comments and/or the world in the future? Hells to the no. Just comments. You know where I stand is all, like it or not. I'll lighten up if you and your crew quit bitching... No one is holding their breath...hopefully.

Now back to the topic at hand. It is effing pricey, no question about it. The great thing is John 259/338 is doing exactly what you told him, not going, because its too much for him. That was his point. Personally I think its too damn much also, the figures given are conservative IMO. Remember that there are track sponsors paying too. The difference between stick and ball sports is right there. The team owners pay the team with ticket sales and sponsorship money, MXsports pockets it and expects the individual teams to pay the riders or the privateers to pay themselves. So be it, they choose to ride. And I choose to attend RED BUD!!! To the tune of $800 for the weekend for a family of 4. Its the first outdoor national for my kids, their mother and the dog. Also its been 10 years or better since I have gone to one.

Worth every penny, of course we have VIP passes and front row RV parking starting Weds night.
It's a big difference between ball sports and MX. Ball sports have a much larger pool of customers and ways to make money. Can't really compare them IMO. MX is a tough sport in that only the top few really have a "career" they'll be able to retire from. All the little guys either will have to get jobs posts MX and/or have a week job as they ride/race. Nothing you know it alls do not know already. Maybe they should quit since MX Sports takes ALLLLL the $$$ for themselves and just let the top 10 or 15 race. Then we can have basically what we have at the local level.

Anywho, have a great time! :)

Last edited:
Back