Cost of a National

If I wanted to go, I would spend the $400. And consider myself lucky that I could do it. I had two points. What about the casual viewer on TV that sees Red Bud is racing. They have two or three kids, a wife, etc. Those are the ones we want to try to get to go, and that is pricey. But yet I paid about $35 for an arenacross in the middle of the winter...........So Red Bud is a deal compared to that.

My second point was, WOW..........follow the money and count it up. But yet this week I read about two more riders pulling out of the remainder of the nationals because they cant afford to continue on this summer. These guys filling up the 40 man gate are not making enough to even get to the races! It is the only MAJOR motorsport that they are not even paid enough to get to the next race. But yet, to the eye, a lot of money is being made.

I am gonna save my $400 and spend about $300 of it the following week at Chilitown, and help the local racing scene.

I'd say the price is fair. For Sunday(the big day) of the Indy 200 at Mid Ohio, it is $50 for general admission or $60 for grandstand. If you want admission for the whole weekend it is $75 and $80, respectively. If you want in the paddock it is another $30. Parking is free unless you want to park on the track infield. Camping prices are also about on par; $60 for a tent, $125 for an RV. As far as I know it seems like the cost to attend motorsports events are pretty much equal across the board, with the except of Formula 1.

If you want to beat the horse about putting in time and money to participate and getting nothing out of it, open wheel(or any road racing for that matter) puts motocross to shame.

The fans surely arent funding the sprint cup cars. Too many empty seats the track owner is paying taxes on.

Michigan just tore down thousands of seats and grand stands because they don't fill up like they used to.

Nothing wrong with overcharging if you are filling the event with participants, and filling the stands with spectators. I'm sick of all the whining about declining participation and empty stands as justification for overcharging for something less and less people want to go to because of the high cost.

That's kind of my point, have you ever been to the Red Bud National? People are paying it, lots of them. Maybe not you people, maybe the market has shifted or is shifting to a new group, who knows? They would be fools not to charge that, IF people are willing to pay it. Now if Tim was right and the place is empty, that's not working. But I bet he's way up there on spectator count, I could only guess 25k?? Regardless, that team works its butt off, does it right, loves the sport, who would you rather give your money to? They aren't a mega corporation like DMG or whoever does Daytona, or Feld Motorsports group, they're a family with motocross roots, I'm happy for them. Sounds like an awesome event, I wish I could go.

Ok look at it like this.........
$45 x 30,000 = $1,350,000
12,500 cars = $125,000
6000 camp for one night x $65 = $390,000
That's $1,865,000
This does not take into account all the people paying for multiple days etc. So lets say its probably a 3 to 3.5 million dollar weekend. What's the pro purse for those privateers? Yeah, the guys that fill most the gate at an outdoor national......that's what I thought......

I have three kids and a wife. That would be a $400 day easily. So you can say what you want.......But if I go the best supercross of the year, the whole family can get in for $125 (no additional fees), free parking, and you can even take in coolers and food to Daytona!!

Plus the money brought in by Amateur Racing. He has amateur racing like Friday Night, Saturday Night, and Sunday. Im all about numbers, sorry, last post here.

In a couple weeks they will run the Kings royal at eldora. That's the red bud of dirt track. At that race they will have 18,000 fans that will buy a $32 ticket. ZERO tv money and no Lucas oil money. The purse for that race is OVER $100,000. And that's not even the biggest purse of the year. At that track. By far.
And what is the purse for a pro national? After 20,000 show up and pay $45 each (oh yeah. At eldora you actually get a seat)

And never forget the best part of the pro motocross purse. ALL racers have to pay taxes on that money and are ONLY paid by check or direct deposit. both of course leave a paper trail. ZERO tracks accept checks or credit cards for fans to pay admission. So no paper trail. Ain't that handy? But I'm sure mx sports is reporting every dollar they make. Yeap, they would never lie

That was kind of my point with the whole post on the original one. Each week we read that someone else is not racing the nationals because of lack of funds. The pro purses are a joke. A three digit guy is better off finding a smaller pro am money race somewhere where he can make more money. But yet Red Bud is making millions off that one weekend.

Back