BC Battle round PW class issues

Run the pw50 on quad day. It was a 4 lane highway Saturday evening!
NO!! They need to learn on rough tracks. Hey, look at it this way. Its Tuesday and we are still talking about it. No one is talking about schoolboy 7 or 2 stroke adults with blonde hair that ate chicken parm last night or whatever name you came up with this week to call it.
The 50 classes supply tons of pub for a track. I think they should get to race for free.

The funny thing is, in other classes (at least twice) there were other complaints (rolling starts, etc.). But those people actually came up (me working the gate) and said "hey this guy was seen doing this first moto" or "this guy is know for this or that" So then I would go warn the guy or call for the referee for clarification prior to the gate drop, heading off and potential conflicts. No issues afterwards.

It seems that this guy may have had a personal issue with Dave and wanted to make it public? There were A LOT of ways this could have been handled before shooting a video to post online. Even taking the video to the referee (which may have been done? I don't know either way). I don't know either of you guys, just an opinion on the situation.

If you want to stop the rolling starts put a 4x4 about 4 foot behind down the entire length of the gate.

They need to learn rough tracks? Ok I thought they wanted to have fun? How about take the kick stands off those bikes so they don't get hung up then ? A beginner peewee class should have the luxury of going after quads so they can get around. Jr/Se peewee.....totally different story. Run them on the big!

NO!! They need to learn on rough tracks. Hey, look at it this way. Its Tuesday and we are still talking about it. No one is talking about schoolboy 7 or 2 stroke adults with blonde hair that ate chicken parm last night or whatever name you came up with this week to call it.
The 50 classes supply tons of pub for a track. I think they should get to race for free.

Seriously considering that for next year, pw's on Saturday. I brought that up at round 1 in Ctown......Just trying to grow the SPORT!

Well the kids would have more fun. Some if them are crying their way around the track. That's a great way to keep their Interest ain't it ?

Some of those poor kids are just their competitive parents living youth through their kids again. Screaming. Yelling. Makes sense.:confused:

Anytime I have been in a competitive environment they only thing I have hoped for is a level playing field and the same rules for everyone. Based on the responses here I guess I have a better idea of where the boundaries are for pw50 racers on the starting gate.

I'm probably guilty of following the rules to a T. In all my years of racing it was stated that once the 1 minute sign went up the rider was on his own. Maybe Don Kenworthy just made that up because it doesn't appear to be in the AMA rule book.

Jeremy may remember me from the AQ in May. My son's pw stopped running and Jeremy and I stood about 20 feet away and watched him try to start the bike for about 30 tries. Jeremy then tried himself. They only time I stepped in was push it off the track.

Like I said, maybe I'm too literal with the rules, but if my kid wasn't capable of leaving a starting gate on his own I would be scared to death to send him out on a track like Briarcliff.

I think the kids would have more fun on a smoother track. Allow more break for quads. Beginner kids only on pws (with beginner parents more than likely) only need to be there 1 day. I think it should work out. Definietly keep Jr & Sr on Sunday, no doubt.

Hershey I think this guy would smoke you, I did some digging and found his results in the vault.

Joey Ballinger
Marion, OH
Individual Race Results
Overall
Class
Date
Machine

19 51cc Stock 4-8ll51cc Stock 4-8 1987 Yamaha
37 65 (7-11) Stockll65 (7-11) Stock 1989 Kawasaki
19 65 (7-11) Stockll65 (7-11) Stock 1990 Kawasaki
30 85 (14-15) Stockll85 (14-15) Stock 1993 Honda
31 85 (14-15) Modifiedll85 (14-15) Modified 1993 Honda
26 85 (14-15) Modifiedll85 (14-15) Modified 1994 Kawasaki
41 85 (14-15) Stockll85 (14-15) Stock 1994 Kawasaki

and watched him try to start the bike for about 30 tries

I've been a flagger before and had to pick up about 50 little dudes in just one corner. You can hear about half of them balling in their helmet. If I see anyone's kid kicking his bike 30 times I'm going to hop the fence. I get following the rules JB but man why are there any rules for little dudes riding pw50s?

I couldn't make this race because I had to coach my granddaughters U6 (under 6) soccer game. The score was whatever to whatever and they're favorite part is running through the parents after the game. I'd love to see this happen at the finish line in a mini race.

splash-10.jpg

Anytime I have been in a competitive environment they only thing I have hoped for is a level playing field and the same rules for everyone. Based on the responses here I guess I have a better idea of where the boundaries are for pw50 racers on the starting gate.

I'm probably guilty of following the rules to a T. In all my years of racing it was stated that once the 1 minute sign went up the rider was on his own. Maybe Don Kenworthy just made that up because it doesn't appear to be in the AMA rule book.

Jeremy may remember me from the AQ in May. My son's pw stopped running and Jeremy and I stood about 20 feet away and watched him try to start the bike for about 30 tries. Jeremy then tried himself. They only time I stepped in was push it off the track.

Like I said, maybe I'm too literal with the rules, but if my kid wasn't capable of leaving a starting gate on his own I would be scared to death to send him out on a track like Briarcliff.

Again, I didnt balance him or push him off the gate. Its just the coach in me having a hand on the fender. It wont happen again, trust me. We both handled the situation incorrectly and I hope we can leave it at that. I would rather have our kids be able to have fun together at the track rather than be worried about friction between two Dads. Hopefully we have years to come racing together.

As for the track and PW 50 kids. Since I now know Woody was at the box I can laugh! Anyway, Austin went down 10' out of the gate in the second moto. Was crying and wouldnt get going. I got frustrated with him but didnt yell, scream or cuss at him. He wasnt having fun so I took his goggles off and let him and I calm down. His mother came over and talked to him for a second and off he went. Rode very well in the rough stuff. When he came back the first thing I asked him was "did you have fun?" He was excited and said "YES!". I was one vote for the PW kids on sat with the quads but now after the second 2 rounds of the battle Im not so sure. There are kids that should possibly but what are we teaching them? Austin didnt go down once out on the track, some kids did but it didnt seem to be a huge issue. In my son's case I think he is happier to ride the same day and track I do.

Izzi and Austin are both part of those happy kids on the track, trust me. But I do agree that I dont understand how some of these kids must feel heading to the track to race knowing they are going to be yelled at all day. Its got to suck. I see it too much already.

I totally see why JB is upset, but neither of you handled it well in front of your kids. We are all competitive or we wouldn't race. Heck I was racing motohomes up 77 coming home Sunday night because neither of us wanted to be passed haha.

In hindsight, if you suspected this was going to be an issue, you could have asked for clarification at the riders meeting while track and AMA officials are present with all the parents and riders in attendance to hear. "Can a parent/mechanic be toughing the rider or bike once the 2 card id up in any class, including PW?" Then based on the answer back, I would ask what the penity would be for violating. Now everyone knows.

We need to have rules in place and hold to them or people will cheat. Not saying anyone here was trying to cheat, but people will if not kept in check at any level. We can't be selective or dismissive based on the bike size or class.

I agree that no one should be touching the rider or machine once the 2 card is up. If you want to stand close behind the little guys/girls and give verbal instruction I think all would be ok with that as coaching. (LL stuff excluded, that's a whole nother level of crazy)

I've been a flagger before and had to pick up about 50 little dudes in just one corner. You can hear about half of them balling in their helmet. If I see anyone's kid kicking his bike 30 times I'm going to hop the fence. I get following the rules JB but man why are there any rules for little dudes riding pw50s?

I couldn't make this race because I had to coach my granddaughters U6 (under 6) soccer game. The score was whatever to whatever and they're favorite part is running through the parents after the game. I'd love to see this happen at the finish line in a mini race.

splash-10.jpg
It was a Qualifier for Lorettas. People drove from half way across the country to be there. You follow the rules at those races.

My kid has never cried on the track. If he did we wouldn't be there because that would tell me he isn't having fun. He tells me when he wants to race.
I didn't let him race Chilitown because I thought the mud would make it a disaster. It turned out good and he was bummed about it, which made me feel bad.

I witnessed parents screaming at their kids when I grew up. Some kids were personal friends that I grew up racing with. I watched them cry on the track and back at the motorhome.

I had my fun racing as a kid. It's my kids turn if they want. If they don't we will build ramps in the yard and jump bmx bikes like they love to do.

I came out of retirement last year to hit a few races. Had the pleasure of lining up with Gibson and Willy and get my ass kicked and had a great time. Hit a few more and raced the AQ at the Cliff this year and also had a great time.

Everything I do is all the way. We prepare and go all the way if we are going to do it. That's one of the great things I get to teach my kids with racing and how it applies to living life in a competitive world. One of the reasons I take rules so serious.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-01-11-01-53.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-01-11-01-53.png
    297.4 KB · Views: 227
This sport should always be about fun noooooo matter what age. It should also be fun for the parents. There is a lot of time, money, effort and worries that go along with this sport and the parents should be having fun as well. I have yelled at my kid at the track but it's about him not helping me unload or keeping our stuff organized or just helping out but as far as, the racing goes let them ride and have fun. I think a referee should be watching the 50 & 65 classes (i know all classes) and DQing the riders who's parents are screaming and yelling at their kids. I'm not talking about encouraging them, I am talking about the parents who run from one end of the track to the other screeeaaammming at there kids. I know people are going to say why punish the kid, right!! Well, I think it might send a message to the parents that are acting like fools to calm down and let the kids do their thing. Not to mention the parents that are screaming are doing more harm to that kid than DQing them from one race. Shoot, that would kill most of these idiot parents that don't know how to raise a 5 + year old if you DQ'ed their kid. I don't know who the dad was that went crazy on the start of the 50 race but what is wrong with you. Your daughter obviously went on the wrong gate drop but did you need to yell and scream at her because she made a mistake, you didn't shut up until the gate dropped and than you ran over to where she would be riding by and continued your rant. You should be ashamed of yourself. First off she's a little kid, secondly she could barely even ride through the ruts and was dead last on the start so, what is your yelling going to accomplish. Are you really enjoying yourself?? Do you think she is having a good time? I don't normally call people out on this site but you really should rethink how your handling this racing thing. Btw, I think her # was 13 and believe her bike was orange. So, if you are reading this sit back let her have some fun and she might actually stick with this sport. Do you want her remembering you screaming at her or would you rather have her look back and remember how her dad encouraged her and helped her develop as a rider and more importantly as a person????

This sport should always be about fun noooooo matter what age. It should also be fun for the parents. There is a lot of time, money, effort and worries that go along with this sport and the parents should be having fun as well. I have yelled at my kid at the track but it's about him not helping me unload or keeping our stuff organized or just helping out but as far as, the racing goes let them ride and have fun. I think a referee should be watching the 50 & 65 classes (i know all classes) and DQing the riders who's parents are screaming and yelling at their kids. I'm not talking about encouraging them, I am talking about the parents who run from one end of the track to the other screeeaaammming at there kids. I know people are going to say why punish the kid, right!! Well, I think it might send a message to the parents that are acting like fools to calm down and let the kids do their thing. Not to mention the parents that are screaming are doing more harm to that kid than DQing them from one race. Shoot, that would kill most of these idiot parents that don't know how to raise a 5 + year old if you DQ'ed their kid. I don't know who the dad was that went crazy on the start of the 50 race but what is wrong with you. Your daughter obviously went on the wrong gate drop but did you need to yell and scream at her because she made a mistake, you didn't shut up until the gate dropped and than you ran over to where she would be riding by and continued your rant. You should be ashamed of yourself. First off she's a little kid, secondly she could barely even ride through the ruts and was dead last on the start so, what is your yelling going to accomplish. Are you really enjoying yourself?? Do you think she is having a good time? I don't normally call people out on this site but you really should rethink how your handling this racing thing. Btw, I think her # was 13 and believe her bike was orange. So, if you are reading this sit back let her have some fun and she might actually stick with this sport. Do you want her remembering you screaming at her or would you rather have her look back and remember how her dad encouraged her and helped her develop as a rider and more importantly as a person????
That (13) family has been a problem at EVRY race they have attended, the mother is just as bad......

Back