As the season comes to an end, something the promoters need to think about.

A 125 is all we (my son)has to race. My son is to big for a supermini and I want him to spend some time on a 125 before transitioning to a 250, he is only 14. So, the point is he should be racing against 125's or something close to that, not against 250's. So, I for one like the 125 class and the gates have been as good as most other classes. I really think if your truly looking for seat time, practice is going to be your best bet. Let these track owners make a little (or a lot of) money and just be happy that they are giving us nicely prepped tracks and a place to race and practice. They are obviously listening but based on the best judgement don't think it would be a good business decision to reduce classes. It's there money/business, not ours so, until we are willing to buy a track and do it ourselves, I think we have made our suggestions and need to move on to other subjects.
John. I love 125's and they are best for kids like your son. In every lineup I have ever suggested has alway and will always include a 125 ONLY schoolboy class. And with the reduction of "extra" class it would give your son more laps in that class. The schoolboy 2 class is another example of the extra classes that need to go away. If you can handle a 250f then you don't need your own schoolboy 2 class.

Too bad, too sad. They could care less what one person wants.

You should look into the cost of other "boutique" sports, especially other ones with that involve motors. We're blessed with low costs compared to what they pay. I spend $40 for 4 minutes of seat time autocrossing my car, and I still have to spend 3 hours of my day working the course. And that's the cheapest form of performance driving you'll come across. In the amateur auto racing world to run at the national level it costs an average of $7k a weekend for only an hour and forty minutes of track time the whole weekend. That's right, as much as new bike just to run competitively for one weekend. $25 for 10 minutes of practice plus 10 minutes (give or take) of race time is a bargain compared to any other form of motorsports.

Go play some pick up basketball if you're worried about getting your money's worth.

I have a buddy that bracket races (drag races) Went with him once. Once. We were at the track for 4 hours and he made 4 passes. In a car that he has about $28k in and it is a low 12 second car. 48 seconds of "track time" BORING.

Never again. Race day motocross is a deal compared to drag racing.

Last edited:
John. I love 125's and they are best for kids like your son. In every lineup I have ever suggested has alway and will always include a 125 ONLY schoolboy class. And with the reduction of "extra" class it would give your son more laps in that class. The schoolboy 2 class is another example of the extra classes that need to go away. If you can handle a 250f then you don't need your own schoolboy 2 class.

Totally agree with this comment. No need for schoolboy one and two. Schoolboy class should be for big wheel 85 - 125 bikes only. No 250F. If your on a 250, go race B or C class. Then you would not need supermini. Just run 85 jr and sr and schoolboy. Worked when I was a kid.

It worked when you were a kid because there were no 4 strokes coming out of Japan.

I think that stupid 125 class and the battle series pulled me back into racing. Otherwise I'd just practice. I wonder how you do that to the rest of the pro practicers...?

Why should MX be any differnet than any other sport? Practice during the week (seat time/skill improvement) race on the weekend (compitition)! What other sport thinks you should only play games on the weekend and accomplish everything there? Sports => practice to compete.

Practice for seat time and measure your performance against competition at the races just like everyother sport.

I absolutly agree with your statement 100%. but most people don't have the time or money to practice during the week because of school and work usually. and motocross costs a lot of money,but I personally wouldnt know how much it costs for a weekend of racing because my mom, dad and brother support me and im very thankful for all that they do. moral of the story people don't have the time or the money to go to a track every day of the week and then race the weekend. but it honestly would be cool if it was added as a school sport.:D:D which will never happen.:(

Our local High school just started a Moto cross club. All you need is a motivated individual to get the ball rolling at your local school and the rest will be history!
Can you provide a little more information on this program and your thoughts on how to get the ball rolling.

Our local High school just started a Moto cross club. All you need is a motivated individual to get the ball rolling at your local school and the rest will be history!
How do we get a club started when you only have 5-6 poeple who actuall yrace in our school ? lol

Can you provide a little more information on this program and your thoughts on how to get the ball rolling.

I tried this in 2002. Funding stopped it. School doesn't want to be responsible. I did everything through here and had a formal letter and all. Met with superintendent. No. Flat out. Take care now. Bye bye then b

There has been many good points brought up here. Every one is a discussion in itself. We have raced at many different tracks, including 6 of the tracks on the National schedule, and Loretta"s. In different areas, the protocol is very different than in others. Some tracks had it down, others, mass confusion every time we were there. With discussions about eliminating classes, combining them, and staggered starts, and separate gate drops, I thought of one track. Efficiency in running the race day, can save a lot of time. Red Bud had it on. One track owner here said he depends on his core people. I believe that, and I'm sure Red Bud had it's core also. The first race of the day they had the first 3 races at staging. First race at the gate, 2nd staged in order of gate pick, (determined by computer), and 3rd waiting outside the staging area. When the gate dropped, the next class was on the gate, the next one staged by gate pick, and the next one, ready, and waiting to be staged. They didn't waste time, and got it done. They raced all those classes, and at 5pm, I'm having a beer in my pit. Some places can get thru the race day in good order, and some can't. But it does take that good core of people to do it, and they are very hard to come by. Things always happen on race day, like accidents, or equipment malfunctions, but you can't predict those. Riders need to be ready, and the tracks need to get things started on time, and keep it moving. Practice starts at 8am. Sign up should be closed. Get there in time. Riders themselves cause disruptions to the race day program, that can be avoided. Everyone can have their class, but be there on time, and be ready 2 races before yours. It always amazed me how some tracks get thru it all in good time, and others barely get thru it.

Says the guy that posted about how he wished motocross wasn't so dangerous on facebook a few weeks ago lol. When was the last time you raced or were at the track again? Chill, don't be a keyboard warrior. I wasn't complaining, I was calling you out for messing with the guy that didn't understand the class structure.

My point was this, A LOT of the guys supporting the local race scene and bringing their kids to the races are also racing the vet classes. The discussion is about cutting/combining classes. Would it be smart for a promoter to put a 15 year old kid going WFO, with a Vet rider that has to clock in to work on Monday morning to support his family and their weekend hobbies?

One of those two, are wise enough to know when to back it down or how to make a clean pass. It's not about complaining about who is faster, it's about maturity and experience. A smart promoter isn't going to cut the classes of the guys coming back race after race, year after year!

There are so many factors in running a motocross track I can't even fathom doing it. We should consider ourselves lucky to have the ability to jump on here and discuss our opinions with the track owners and other riders/racers.

LOL keyboard warrior, anyone that knows me knows im far from that.. Last time at the track? about 2 weeks ago, as far as motocross being dangerous and my facebook post... I really don't care about breaking bones, broke the biggest one in the body twice already.. Not afraid of that, its the losing my job part and living in a box that scares me.... Racing, gave that up. My point was you cant cater to one group and not another. Maybe one vet class but to have 5 difference vet classes is just overboard.. I am in the category now and even I wouldn't mind if I were ever to race again.. Then again that wont happen, only time im getting up early is for work or when im hit in the face with a pillow by my kid..

There has been many good points brought up here. Every one is a discussion in itself. We have raced at many different tracks, including 6 of the tracks on the National schedule, and Loretta"s. In different areas, the protocol is very different than in others. Some tracks had it down, others, mass confusion every time we were there. With discussions about eliminating classes, combining them, and staggered starts, and separate gate drops, I thought of one track. Efficiency in running the race day, can save a lot of time. Red Bud had it on. One track owner here said he depends on his core people. I believe that, and I'm sure Red Bud had it's core also. The first race of the day they had the first 3 races at staging. First race at the gate, 2nd staged in order of gate pick, (determined by computer), and 3rd waiting outside the staging area. When the gate dropped, the next class was on the gate, the next one staged by gate pick, and the next one, ready, and waiting to be staged. They didn't waste time, and got it done. They raced all those classes, and at 5pm, I'm having a beer in my pit. Some places can get thru the race day in good order, and some can't. But it does take that good core of people to do it, and they are very hard to come by. Things always happen on race day, like accidents, or equipment malfunctions, but you can't predict those. Riders need to be ready, and the tracks need to get things started on time, and keep it moving. Practice starts at 8am. Sign up should be closed. Get there in time. Riders themselves cause disruptions to the race day program, that can be avoided. Everyone can have their class, but be there on time, and be ready 2 races before yours. It always amazed me how some tracks get thru it all in good time, and others barely get thru it.

Oh boy, dont bring up Red Bud on here...... you will start a pissing match. Thats just taboo

Our local High school has a class called "Power Sports Repair", much like Auto Shop, Welding, Machine Shop, and so on. The class was called "small engine repair" but it has since evolved to learn and work on almost anything with an engine, including MX bikes. The new instructor is a MX guy and the kids can see that. The kids start asking about riding/racing and he says, we need to get the principal on board and call it a club (loosely associated with the school) and he will meet them at a riding spot and oversee the club and riding for the day/time. It just so happened that the principal's kid has a dirt bike, she was easy to convince. Now she even allows them to run fund raisers (and helps with them) at school to pay for track maintenance and so on.
Basically the kids need to group together and start the process. Tell them to ask the girls how they started the pep club. Like any club in the school a responsible adult will need to be a major voice and better yet a teacher stands up for the club would be a big help.

I will say this new instructor was a key factor in making this happen. As far as the kids like ours, the only real benefit would be for them to hang out with like minded kids from there school that they may normally not hang out with.

The majority of kids that he has in the club have never ridden a dirt bike before. He as a variety of beginner bikes to teach them and they are loving it!

The club may never grow and it will just be an extra curricular activity those kids get to do because their parents don't spend enough time with them, or it may turn into something huge, like the school having it's own MX play ground and our tax dollars going to support MX. How cool would that be?

Back