As the season comes to an end, something the promoters need to think about.

If we can't cut the classes. Can we get everyone off the line in 18 motos ?

My track would run so good you would have to call it a happening or an Occurance. Whatever is better than an event.
Ok. Seriously can we loose a few classes? It does not have to be to my degree but atleast under 20. That way was can get a couple more minutes of track time?
Keep all the classes if you want for the big races since they are two day events.
Btw. From a rider stand point I would say the new format for the battle series was great. How did the numbers turnout and any feedback from all the others?
Oh. And for the people saying "if you don't like it, don't race". See that's not an option. We are racers. We were here long before you got here and we will be here long after your gone.

New Battle format was a home run. Just made for a super long day for staff. I think both sides really enjoyed it. I think its tough to cram all that into Saturday. Which brings up another point. If you cut classes, you will have less rest between motos. Ask the ATV racers from the Battle series.

This is what I mean by cry babies.... Get out in front of the kid and you wont need to worry about it.. MAYBE have one VET class or an OPEN class... But then youd complain about a faster VET guy then you and blah blah blah.. Cant make everyone happy. Want a safe sport, go play chess.

Says the guy that posted about how he wished motocross wasn't so dangerous on facebook a few weeks ago lol. When was the last time you raced or were at the track again? Chill, don't be a keyboard warrior. I wasn't complaining, I was calling you out for messing with the guy that didn't understand the class structure.

My point was this, A LOT of the guys supporting the local race scene and bringing their kids to the races are also racing the vet classes. The discussion is about cutting/combining classes. Would it be smart for a promoter to put a 15 year old kid going WFO, with a Vet rider that has to clock in to work on Monday morning to support his family and their weekend hobbies?

One of those two, are wise enough to know when to back it down or how to make a clean pass. It's not about complaining about who is faster, it's about maturity and experience. A smart promoter isn't going to cut the classes of the guys coming back race after race, year after year!

There are so many factors in running a motocross track I can't even fathom doing it. We should consider ourselves lucky to have the ability to jump on here and discuss our opinions with the track owners and other riders/racers.

Which brings up another point. If you cut classes, you will have less rest between motos. Ask the ATV racers from the Battle series.

Did you seriously just post that????? My god man, tell those pussies to get in shape! Its only 4 lap motos for crying out loud. I run my best when Im warmed up from my last moto......with a 1 moto break. Im out of shape this year but next year look out.

Did you seriously just post that????? My god man, tell those pussies to get in shape! Its only 4 lap motos for crying out loud. I run my best when Im warmed up from my last moto......with a 1 moto break. Im out of shape this year but next year look out.

4 laps on a live bull with a 45 minute break for one class, and less than 20 minutes for two classes is tougher than what you think. But I get it, you wouldn't understand. You and your driving miss daisy 20 minute moto pace.....

Says the guy that posted about how he wished motocross wasn't so dangerous on facebook a few weeks ago lol. When was the last time you raced or were at the track again? Chill, don't be a keyboard warrior. I wasn't complaining, I was calling you out for messing with the guy that didn't understand the class structure.

My point was this, A LOT of the guys supporting the local race scene and bringing their kids to the races are also racing the vet classes. The discussion is about cutting/combining classes. Would it be smart for a promoter to put a 15 year old kid going WFO, with a Vet rider that has to clock in to work on Monday morning to support his family and their weekend hobbies?

One of those two, are wise enough to know when to back it down or how to make a clean pass. It's not about complaining about who is faster, it's about maturity and experience. A smart promoter isn't going to cut the classes of the guys coming back race after race, year after year!

I will say that the 125 class this year was filled with respectable young kids. I'm 28 and I think the average age was 16. Ezra Hastings is a very smart clean rider. As is swope, hand, Lavan, Salisbury, Lilly, maxwell.....the list goes on. I'm not sure if we just got lucky with that isolated class....but that was a fun class, from Hastings making jokes on the line to just all out battling with someone every moto of the entire battle series. There was always someone pushing me, and I was pushing someone else. I'm not kidding when I say it's the best ACTUAL racing I've done since I was 15. It wasn't me riding around lah-Dee-dah, I worked my ass off in that class. But also, I got pushed around more in 25+ at CHILITOWN. Lol. Of course I was on a 125 against 450s.

125 class is the perfect example of a class that needs to be eliminated. A class already excisist for all those riders. I love the sound of the bikes but if I get 12 guys to show up on combat wombats do they get their own class?

OMG....what is everyone missing here???????????

Its not about cutting riders, its about cutting classes!!!!!!!!!

The same number of riders will show up and still pick a second class to ride in! Im racing 2 classes if its 450 B and +40 or if its +30 and Extra. Remember that class? Extra? It was to give people another chance to race. Cut all these BS "give me my plastic trophy or stupid wooden plaque" classes. Lets race some full gates. And if people wont ride 6 or 8 laps then leave them at 4 or 5 and the day will be shorter. And back in my hay day we raced rain or shine. You couldnt let everyone know by internet that the track was rained out so you just raced. Lets bring that back too!

If not I will still be there, lets race!
You got alot of input for a guy thats only raced 3 oma races you have to at least run 6 to hear from you your out

I'm not sure why some people seem to think that eliminating 5 or 6 classes, thus resulting in running 5 laps instead of 4 each moto will turn around the racing side of motocross. I'm sorry, but 2 extra laps during the day isn't going to draw me or at least 90% of the pro practicers to come race. And you could say "add more laps!" but that would directly contradict the whole idea of a shorter day at the track.

I don't care about the pro practice guys. I want MY monies worth. Last week at dirt country the flipping superminis class was running 1:32 lap times. And 4 lap moto's. I don't care if I am at the track until dark. 12 minutes is nuts for $25

I want MY monies worth.

Too bad, too sad. They could care less what one person wants.

You should look into the cost of other "boutique" sports, especially other ones with that involve motors. We're blessed with low costs compared to what they pay. I spend $40 for 4 minutes of seat time autocrossing my car, and I still have to spend 3 hours of my day working the course. And that's the cheapest form of performance driving you'll come across. In the amateur auto racing world to run at the national level it costs an average of $7k a weekend for only an hour and forty minutes of track time the whole weekend. That's right, as much as new bike just to run competitively for one weekend. $25 for 10 minutes of practice plus 10 minutes (give or take) of race time is a bargain compared to any other form of motorsports.

Go play some pick up basketball if you're worried about getting your money's worth.

125 class is the perfect example of a class that needs to be eliminated. A class already excisist for all those riders. I love the sound of the bikes but if I get 12 guys to show up on combat wombats do they get their own class?

Without a 125 class we would've skipped the battle races this year. The 125 is a great bike for young riders coming off of a supermini. Just wait you will be there before you know it. I talked to Bigelow this year at the Baja Brawl and he said the AMA is looking hard at adding a 125 class to some of the pro nationals next year.

That will never happen no matter what Bigelow says. Only KTM and yam make them.
"Without the 125 we would have skipped". I'm taking my ball and going home.
Schoolboy is for kids to transition to 125. After that. Tuff crap.
It's not here I am, make a class for me. Find an existing class and race your vintage bike. If you want to win get a better bike and loose the my bike is not competitive excuse
This is the EXACT mindset that got us where we are. Loaded down with classes I can't win so make another class that keeps (fill in the blank) out. All the while you are screwing yourself and everyone else out of seat time

That will never happen no matter what Bigelow says. Only KTM and yam make them.
"Without the 125 we would have skipped". I'm taking my ball and going home.
Schoolboy is for kids to transition to 125. After that. Tuff crap.
It's not here I am, make a class for me. Find an existing class and race your vintage bike. If you want to win get a better bike and loose the my bike is not competitive excuse
This is the EXACT mindset that got us where we are. Loaded down with classes I can't win so make another class that keeps (fill in the blank) out. All the while you are screwing yourself and everyone else out of seat time
How about a mini track and put all the 50's and 65's on that. It would speed up the day. Seriously get over yourself.

A 125 is all we (my son)has to race. My son is to big for a supermini and I want him to spend some time on a 125 before transitioning to a 250, he is only 14. So, the point is he should be racing against 125's or something close to that, not against 250's. So, I for one like the 125 class and the gates have been as good as most other classes. I really think if your truly looking for seat time, practice is going to be your best bet. Let these track owners make a little (or a lot of) money and just be happy that they are giving us nicely prepped tracks and a place to race and practice. They are obviously listening but based on their best judgement don't think it would be a good business decision to reduce classes. It's there money/business, not ours so, until we are willing to buy a track and do it ourselves, I think we have made our suggestions and need to move on to other subjects.

Last edited:
Back