2016 LL Classes and Rules

I'm in my 50's now so I forget from time to time, but what bike did Dave Jones win LL +30 on?
Now stop crying! You weren't going to race qualifiers anyway. Just looking for a way out.
As I like to say, it's easyer to complain than train.

Davey Jones qualified on a KX250. Raced LL on the 125 because he knew he could ride it faster, longer. At the qualifier and regional events it's too much of a sprint to even consider "training." And Davey himself explained that the starts on the 125 would of probably prohibited him from qualifying for the big show that year--hence why he chose to qualify on the 250. You can't do anything buried in the pack at a regional on small bore. If you recall, I said I'll have to buy a 250 or try a 4 stroke. The sprint racing is pretty difficult for the guy on a 125 lined up to all you fatty's on the 450s. Give it more than 5 laps and you might hear those weed wackers go by you.

I Just took a selfie in the mirror:
cry_baby_1_-_iStockphoto.png

Guess that means I need to make an executive decision on a new bike purchase.

So, not having a open 125 class is the reason? Are you a vet racer? Plenty of good classes for the vet races. If not, you've got your choices between A, B, and C class. Plenty of choices.

You guys have alot of choices. You can race a 125, 250, 250f and a 450f. The kids coming off a 85 should start on a 125. That's the difference and that what the AMA is trying to do.

Did i say 125 open class? no i was talking about getting rid of the 2 stroke class. You know what you guys are right, there is plenty of other choices. HOWEVER, 2 stroke class didnt seem to attract the guys that spend all year at a training facility like A, B, or C class does! Im upset because it was the best shot i had at qualifying. And the kids coming up have plenty of classes to choose from too. They dont hae to go from 85 to 250f thats the parents decision, most of them ride superminis that are 110cc-115cc anyways! Heres a idea for ya, when little johnny is moving up from a 85/supermini buy him a 125 instead of a 250F and make him run that in the B class instead of a 250f if you dont think he can handle it. Problem nowadays is too many parents just buy little johnny whatever he wants and if you dont he cries, and then gets it anyways!!!!

100% correct! Stop crying!

I'm 45 and classified as an AMA B racer. I own a 2006 RM125 bored to 144cc.
I just did a quick count and I found 8 classes that I would be eligible for.

Your eligible for 8 classes, but how many you legitimately feel you could qualify in? Seems like MOST (and i say again MOST!!!!!!) vet riders on here just complain and dont show up to the local races anyways! you guys always talk about growing the sport yet you guys only race the battle series.

END MY RANT!

Did i say 125 open class? no i was talking about getting rid of the 2 stroke class. You know what you guys are right, there is plenty of other choices. HOWEVER, 2 stroke class didnt seem to attract the guys that spend all year at a training facility like A, B, or C class does! Im upset because it was the best shot i had at qualifying. And the kids coming up have plenty of classes to choose from too. They dont hae to go from 85 to 250f thats the parents decision, most of them ride superminis that are 110cc-115cc anyways! Heres a idea for ya, when little johnny is moving up from a 85/supermini buy him a 125 instead of a 250F and make him run that in the B class instead of a 250f if you dont think he can handle it. Problem nowadays is too many parents just buy little johnny whatever he wants and if you dont he cries, and then gets it anyways!!!!

I did just that. 85's, supermini's then 125's. Oh and by the way how did you know my son's name was Johnny. LOL!

I didnt say i wanted a class slow enough, But at 24 years old, working a full time job, and having to pay bills, i cant afford to ride like all these kids who have mommy and daddy taking out second mortgages just so they can go train every single day! Will i ever win a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP? not at lorettas i can guarantee that! Sorry im not your typical "C" rider sandbaggin just to go

Isn't that really the point, you don't just get to go to the national championships by just showing up to race. You need to ride more then the weekends, have enough money to pay for it, and have the time to commit to it. JMO.

You really have no idea what your talking about. Original 44 is making total sense about these 12, 13, 14 and 15 year old kids. They are NOT read (most of them) to come off an 85 to a 250F. Take my son for example because of his height and weight, we are going straight from Mini Jr. to a 125. He is 12 years old, and does not belong in the C or B class with the kamikazes in the C class, and the super fast guys on 250Fs in the B class. A 125 B/C class and Schoolboy is where he should be. When he is about 15 he will be ready to got to a 250F and go race B class.

Your 24. You can race C, B, 16-24. Plenty of classes for you to choose from. My guess is the way your talking, your not fast enough to qualify for Lorrettas anyway, so go run the quailifers and regionals and have run.

CLEARLY you need to learn English and spelling. and secondly your son will ride whatever you decide to go and buy him! THATS MY POINT!!! IF the arent ready for it then dont put them on it plain and simple! The AMA doesnt need to cater to kids because they cant handle the bikes they are riding. They have 2 schoolboy classes why do they need a 125cc B/C 12-16 year old class?

For the record.. TeamMMR is not what I would consider "slow".. o_O

..and the elimination of the two stroke class is a bummer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not say he was slow, he did. I have no idea who he is. But to Original 44's point, that would give the young teenagers two classes to continue honing their skills in on 125 motorcycles. Georgie posted a article in another thread about kids and 250Fs. The sport needs to do what they can to get kids to go to 125s for a few years before they move onto the B class on 250Fs. As the example of my son, he is not ready for racing with 250Fs in teh B class. And in my opinion, should never be allowed in the C class. He has raced for 8 years and is 12 years old.

image.jpeg
For the record.. TeamMMR is not what I would consider "slow".. o_O

..and the elimination of the two stroke class is a bummer.
He can't move out of his own way. I actually have to take the insides on my 125 to pass him on his 250.

Now I'm joking! I guess the gripe is there really isn't a class for a working class 20 year old. But then again, most people 20-30 are in the process of setting themselves up for the rest of their lives. We gotta pick and choose what we race. However once you and I are in the 30s and stable, I don't think we will have any problems finding a vet class to race and have a legit chance of qualifying while still living like we are now. (Working, house, bills, getting married....) the 20-30 are a very busy time, and there aren't many of us that would actually fill a lorettas gate.

Hell they should give the 50+ a full gate and give my age group/skill a 20 man gate. Now the 2 stroke class makes it easier on our young pocket books. Without it, it just makes us have to get more creative on ways to save money to go racing. (I just cut cable tv. 107 a month savings.) with gas this cheap that's a local weekend race.

But also mmr we are at the age where we aren't growing the sport. We will always be here, we are addicted. So in a few years we will fall back into a qualifable class. Atleast with offering kids another class (125 BC)it grows the sport.

Last edited:
Back