Attn Quad riders.....

7f593da3fbb9e13c75743f13a0d6bd22.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

Quads want brownie mix just like the bikes. Both never coexist perfectly, but they can be somewhat together if you rip it deep, and water, mix, water, mix.....over and over till you almost make the dirt to where it will flex like pavement on a 103 degree day (not like my track yesterday, I cringe when I don't chisel due to weather). This allows the bike to make inside ruts and quads can still go wide outside. Track corner design is key, very wide, and big bowl turns help....a lot. Both like the same jumps, except quads are bit more picky about even faces. Nobody likes kickers......ever. If you get worked in deep enough, and you don't get 100 quads versus 100 bikes, the track will hold up. That ratio is important. Too many of bikes or quads will effect the other. It seems like a 10:1 is about spot on. Keeps some ruts but doesn't overwhelm the vet bike guys or kids, and keeps the quads ok with it. Heck I get asked every week if I allow quads, even during sessions. Us quad billies are lucky we get to ride anywhere. The stigma is real.

Quads want brownie mix just like the bikes. Both never coexist perfectly, but they can be somewhat together if you rip it deep, and water, mix, water, mix.....over and over till you almost make the dirt to where it will flex like pavement on a 103 degree day (not like my track yesterday, I cringe when I don't chisel due to weather). This allows the bike to make inside ruts and quads can still go wide outside. Track corner design is key, very wide, and big bowl turns help....a lot. Both like the same jumps, except quads are bit more picky about even faces. Nobody likes kickers......ever. If you get worked in deep enough, and you don't get 100 quads versus 100 bikes, the track will hold up. That ratio is important. Too many of bikes or quads will effect the other. It seems like a 10:1 is about spot on. Keeps some ruts but doesn't overwhelm the vet bike guys or kids, and keeps the quads ok with it. Heck I get asked every week if I allow quads, even during sessions. Us quad billies are lucky we get to ride anywhere. The stigma is real.
With the addition of the bigger tractor we can now go thru the mix and water process The 2 wheel drive tractor just couldn't get it done. It's a new learning process. Now I can make track get very rough and rutted at will. A huge factor in any tracks prep is the weather. We have started track prep on a Friday morning and looking at weather and 10% chance of rain. 6 hours into prep and the weather changes to 80% chance of rain.. The struggle is real...

With the addition of the bigger tractor we can now go thru the mix and water process The 2 wheel drive tractor just couldn't get it done. It's a new learning process. Now I can make track get very rough and rutted at will. A huge factor in any tracks prep is the weather. We have started track prep on a Friday morning and looking at weather and 10% chance of rain. 6 hours into prep and the weather changes to 80% chance of rain.. The struggle is real...

My dad always says its like baking a cake when you never know the temperature of the oven, Suns out put down a bunch of water so it doesn't get dusty, oops there goes the sun now you've got slop, haul the disc out to fix that issue and oops Suns back now dust issue has returned... Fun, fun

So how was the quad turn out? We try to do the split format here and there to give the local quad guys a place to practice but rarely get more than a handful, just curious what kind of quad turn outs other tracks that don't have a regular quad practice get.

So how was the quad turn out? We try to do the split format here and there to give the local quad guys a place to practice but rarely get more than a handful, just curious what kind of quad turn outs other tracks that don't have a regular quad practice get.

We get a few local quad guys when we open for quads. Our problem is the history we have we quads. A few quads came out and intentionally tried to destroy our place. Im sure I could have handled it better than I did but I banned all quads because of the actions of a few. But we are willing to give them another try Now the ball is in their court so to speak.

41 at tvland. That's quite a few. And they all loved the track.

Joel hetrick was there. Practiced all day then went home. Mark Baldwin showed up to watch. We have a decent quad following up here but they all complain there's no place to ride. Shouldn't be that way. I still always tell them to buy a dirtbike. But as I have no interest I quads. They have no interest in bikes. There's a place for all of them.

My dad always says its like baking a cake when you never know the temperature of the oven, Suns out put down a bunch of water so it doesn't get dusty, oops there goes the sun now you've got slop, haul the disc out to fix that issue and oops Suns back now dust issue has returned... Fun, fun

Lol I use the same analagy, it's like baking with a water truck, tractor and dozer! You gotta get mix the right consistency, too dry-add water, too wet- flip it and add some dry dirt, or disc it to dry it up some, but always keep working it to "proof it" as I call it. See whatcha got.

You are right about the oven, our oven has been jacked up for over 10 years. And it's leaky at all the wrong times, ha ha

41 at tvland. That's quite a few. And they all loved the track.

Joel hetrick was there. Practiced all day then went home. Mark Baldwin showed up to watch. We have a decent quad following up here but they all complain there's no place to ride. Shouldn't be that way. I still always tell them to buy a dirtbike. But as I have no interest I quads. They have no interest in bikes. There's a place for all of them.
I heard they had closer to 60 for practice, but rain scared some away for racing

Last edited:
Honestly the one track feature that seems help the most are bowl turns. Quads like to carry speed around the outside leaving the inside to develop deep ruts for those who like them and the old bike dudes have a smooth line if they choose. There were a few berms at TV that worked. I would have loved a big bowl turn right before the big table coming back towards the bleachers. That thing was a serious leap without much of a run on a couch.

Sent from my SM-G900V using PitRacer mobile app

Can a quad rider explain what they need as good prep? I'm being serious.

I don't speak for the all the couch riders, but if the faces of the jumps are square and a clean approach to the jump, that's all I need. For everywhere else: the rougher, the better! You could never prep the straights, I wouldn't care. I don't want a paved highway. It's what separates the sissies from the men. Although I may not be able to hang on for more than 3 laps, at the end of the day, I like a rough track.

Thanks Trevor for allowing the quads this weekend. Hope we made it worth your while.

I was happy to see all the quads that came and had a good time. I really enjoyed how smooth and fast a few were and it was cool to watch you guys dial in this track. I think I will leave it this way for the remainder of the OMA events. Quads can come practice on Saturday with everyone in rotations on Saturday prior to racing. Bike guys shouldn't worry I'll prep it right and rip it deep again after the quads so Sunday will be prime. For open practice days I'm still going to be bikes only, sorry but it does take a lot more prep and it does different things to the track. I learned so much over the weekend by having them here and of course the weather is always teaching lessons on prep. It rained here all day Friday (not forecasted) and we got more water than i was expecting but Saturday was just about right. It would be hard for me to do that on a regular basis with how dry things get sometimes. Sun and wind would have dried things out much faster Saturday but we had fall like conditions so the dirt got nice and tacky. I wish I could always provide those conditions.
I do want to have a few quad only practices. I know many are too far to come but if a group of you want to come practice mid week or after a scheduled practice we can try to put it together. I think maybe if the conditions are right I can give you a good track. I can see you like the same type prep and a few of the sections I can get shaped even better. Thanks again for coming out!

Can't wait to get to TV land and check it out, hopefully soon. My brother and I have been to a couple bike/quad practices at Malvern and Beans. Never had any issues and everyone played nice. I don't mind riding with bikes at all.

Back