Attn Quad riders.....

I'd say Trevor did a great job considering the circumstances of never having quad practice before and not having all the equipment lined up to put dirt back on the track. I only made it for the race but I heard practice had a good turn out. I'm sad more didn't stay to race but honestly the forecast and radar was so off. My big thing is I don't understand why more quad riders don't come together & actually show up when a track does allow quads. No offense to Jeremy but if Brian can make the 4+ hour haul to support tv land there's no reason why any other quad riders should have been at Briarcliff or Battlesburg Mx or anywhere else besides at TV Land. Only my opinion, however we all doubt Jeremy will ever turn quads away so why not venture out of your comfort zones and support a new track, giving quads a try?! Glad to see Route 62 will some day allow quads back it was such a blow to lose that track after years of sponsorship.

I guess what I can not understand is why the "procedure" is how it is.... Why do track owners do intervals of bike then quad then bike and so on during the day OR even have quads and bikes out there together?
Why not let all the bikes practice up to a certain time of the day, then start the quad practice? Or vice versa...
So I purpose bikes practice up to 3 or 4p and then shut it down, fix up the track where needed, open the track for the quads until whatever time... IMO, it can be a win, win, win for the track owners, the bike guys get their perfect track all day, quad guys get their perfect track as well. AND if NO quads show up, it's an early day for ya, IF they do show up, they pack your track good and tight until the next time the track opens. The owners then get to collect $ from both groups... (Because the bike guys will show up IF they know the quads won't be out there with them.
The other issue is: how are the quad guys supposed to know when and IF a track allows quads especially if it's not all the time. To say, if you don't show up we won't ever try it again is not fair if you only open to quads once in awhile and have very little advertising.

I guess what I can not understand is why the "procedure" is how it is.... Why do track owners do intervals of bike then quad then bike and so on during the day OR even have quads and bikes out there together?
Why not let all the bikes practice up to a certain time of the day, then start the quad practice? Or vice versa...
So I purpose bikes practice up to 3 or 4p and then shut it down, fix up the track where needed, open the track for the quads until whatever time... IMO, it can be a win, win, win for the track owners, the bike guys get their perfect track all day, quad guys get their perfect track as well. AND if NO quads show up, it's an early day for ya, IF they do show up, they pack your track good and tight until the next time the track opens. The owners then get to collect $ from both groups... (Because the bike guys will show up IF they know the quads won't be out there with them.
The other issue is: how are the quad guys supposed to know when and IF a track allows quads especially if it's not all the time. To say, if you don't show up we won't ever try it again is not fair if you only open to quads once in awhile and have very little advertising.
That's exactly how we do our split practices, bikes go first, ride a couple hours, we stop and prep than quads can join, I say join because we get 2-5 (paying) so we let the bikes stay and ride if they wish. If we got a larger number of quads than that would be their time alone but really most bikes leave the ones that stay are usually the guys that came with the quads to ride with their buddies etc. I personally message all the quad riders that ask about quad practice to let them know when we have something coming up for them.

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

That's exactly how we do our split practices, bikes go first, ride a couple hours, we stop and prep than quads can join, I say join because we get 2-5 (paying) so we let the bikes stay and ride if they wish. If we got a larger number of quads than that would be their time alone but really most bikes leave the ones that stay are usually the guys that came with the quads to ride with their buddies etc. I personally message all the quad riders that ask about quad practice to let them know when we have something coming up for them.

So why not make it this way for at least one of the days of the week instead of the quad guys always guessing whether or not they are welcome this day or that day? Make it a constant so that when the quad guys get together and wanna go ride, they know for sure they can go to a particular place instead of wondering IF they are welcome.

We tried that as well (Thursday's) we did a prepaid practice first got like 33-34 riders, next week wasn't prepaid just like a normal practice got 16, next week like 5 and then we were done with a separate day for quads. I'm not saying a quad day couldn't be built up over a lot of time and determination on the track owners part because I'm sure it could. I just know from personal experience when I start messaging quad riders about practices (that ask us to have practices for them) I get a ton of "my quads broke" "that's not a good day for me" "nationals this weekend" which is weird because most of the guys who actually do show up are the actual guys who race nationals while the ones who say they can't come because of nationals are usually the ones going to pit and watch. I'm married to a quad guy and he's even burned out on trying to do stuff with quads. It sucks because we have some really talented quad guys out our way always looking for a place to ride and they show up whenever they are given an opportunity without fail but just can't get enough numbers to make the extra prep/ irritating the bikes viable. We honestly hate shutting out any faction of the sport it's just a tough situation overall. And it's pretty consistently like that even with the way we do it now, this way the bikes make it worth opening and any quads who show up are a bonus. Once in a blue moon we get 15-20 paid quads (not including the kids that work at the track) usually we get 5 maybe 10. When I ask my dad about doing a quad split his standard reply is "how many did we get last time?" If the answer is "15-20" well that's hopeful that feels like something that could grow so he's more apt to say ok let's do another. When the answer is "5" it's like "eh maybe next month" . Glad to hear tv land got 60 that's awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

You're missing my point, when it's always a constant, i.e. "Smith Road has quad practice EVERY Saturday at 4p after the bikes" the guys/gals will not be guessing on which track is allowing quads this or that weekend and will say, Hey, we can head to Smith Road because it's always available on Saturday's at 4p....
Again, my thoughts are, if noone shows up, you had to fix the track anyway from the bikes from the day, you're done for the day. IF they do show up, you take their practice money and let them ride and pack your track until next practice day.
And on days when tracks that do not normally allow quads open up to them, you may not get many. Early day for ya. Also, make it known, Quad practice starts at 4 and unless you call ahead to say you are gonna be there a lil later, if noone shows up by 5 or 5:30 - gates close.

Last edited:
Quads want brownie mix just like the bikes. Both never coexist perfectly, but they can be somewhat together if you rip it deep, and water, mix, water, mix.....over and over till you almost make the dirt to where it will flex like pavement on a 103 degree day (not like my track yesterday, I cringe when I don't chisel due to weather). This allows the bike to make inside ruts and quads can still go wide outside. Track corner design is key, very wide, and big bowl turns help....a lot. Both like the same jumps, except quads are bit more picky about even faces. Nobody likes kickers......ever. If you get worked in deep enough, and you don't get 100 quads versus 100 bikes, the track will hold up. That ratio is important. Too many of bikes or quads will effect the other. It seems like a 10:1 is about spot on. Keeps some ruts but doesn't overwhelm the vet bike guys or kids, and keeps the quads ok with it. Heck I get asked every week if I allow quads, even during sessions. Us quad billies are lucky we get to ride anywhere. The stigma is real.
Are you talking 6 " depth or a foot or more on the ripping?

6" is like a cultivators, more like a finish pass. When we chisel and water, like the night before or day before, we are chiseling 12-16" deep.

Back