Wow

My son raced the Red Bud regional in two stroke before he left to play college soccer. He hung out with all my Vet buddies. They helped him out with setup and tips on the track it was awesome. He ended up in the high twenties for results.
I got to line up next to Grewe on the start gate my second moto. By the way I'm taller than him!
Memories we will never forget my son and I.

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

My son raced the Red Bud regional in two stroke before he left to play college soccer. He hung out with all my Vet buddies. They helped him out with setup and tips on the track it was awesome. He ended up in the high twenties for results.
I got to line up next to Grewe on the start gate my second moto. By the way I'm taller than him!
Memories we will never forget my son and I.

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app
That's awesome.

I'm in the same boat just trying to spend time/make some memories with my dad and have a fun weekend before I leave for college.

Anybody hear about the guy that never qualified ,? Showed up at the regional....paid his money there. Then waxed everyone. Went to lorettas....

Anybody know who I'm talking about ??

It’s not the AMA it is Mxsports. They are greedy as hell and have no conscious when it comes to money . In 2014 I raced in 2 regionals and witness 3 or 4 riders at both that had no results at the areas sign up at the regional and race. One dad even had print outs of results and Rita wouldn’t listen. The whole process is tainted. At both regionals there were 70 -80 riders for my class and some of the other classes were way worse. I qualified in the top 8 at the regional and had a buddy that raced 4 regions and is his best finish was 17th…. Needless to say we both were on the line at LL.

Jeremy and I one day at lunch did some simple math on entry fees for the area, regional and Loretta’s.. It’s pretty sad how much they potentially make and what the payout is at a pro national.

MXsports is exactly the same as Disney, if they can find anyway to make an extra dollar they will take advantage of it.

From what I understand on Red Bud's website, if you are registered as an alternate, you show up on Friday and pay your gate fee and $25 to practice. On Saturday, the first race day, they wait until track registration is closed and if they don't have a full gate, they tell the alternates to come pay and line up. I think what is confusing everyone is the yellow and green check marks on the mxsports site. I believe one just means you are an alternate and the other means they have received your qualifying money. Red Bud's website states that the only people that can race that weekend are actual qualifiers or registered alternates, and the deadline is a week before.

As far as racing multiple area qualifiers, I can see in some instances where it is needed. I know that my son raced the Malvern qualifier and in his first moto a guy wrecked a hundred feet out of the gate, took an immediate left, and wiped out five other riders, my son being one of them and had his bike end up on the bottom of the pile. Although he made up a lot of ground, not enough to come close to qualifying. He qualified in his other class that day. We then went to another area for him to try to qualify, which he did.

I'm trying to make the decision whether or not to go to the Regional myself. I qualified in 30+ at briar only because 4 of the guys ahead of me didn't pay for the Q. ( I think some already qual'd at Chilli). It would be cool just for the experience. I raced a regional or two on 80's back in 99/2000, but it's a whole new world nowadays. I know I won't really have a chance to go to LL, I've only been on the bike 3 times in 2 years, lol, plus I will be coming back from a military trip to Alaska the Monday of LL anyway. But like others have said, it would be cool to actually be in a Vet class with a packed grid of some seriously fast dudes and just rip around trying not to get lapped lol.

Redbud 336.jpg

Jack - at the Red Bud Regional

I'm trying to make the decision whether or not to go to the Regional myself. I qualified in 30+ at briar only because 4 of the guys ahead of me didn't pay for the Q. ( I think some already qual'd at Chilli). It would be cool just for the experience. I raced a regional or two on 80's back in 99/2000, but it's a whole new world nowadays. I know I won't really have a chance to go to LL, I've only been on the bike 3 times in 2 years, lol, plus I will be coming back from a military trip to Alaska the Monday of LL anyway. But like others have said, it would be cool to actually be in a Vet class with a packed grid of some seriously fast dudes and just rip around trying not to get lapped lol.

Go to Baja - It will blow your mind...

A Baja Regional will be an event you'll never forget -

Then come back on here and we can exchange stories from the weekend.

See ya there ....and good luck!

And back to Meister’s original comment.

Yes, it’s a money grab. It needs to be.

LL is a big machine (business) that needs cash flow.

Having it set up this way insures a good cash stream as well as makes certain that the gates will be full come Regional time.

Also, (maybe not this case) if a (fast enough to qualify straight up) rider has a poor moto, think DNF or bad crash. It still gives them an opportunity to line up as an alternate at the Regional.

I’ve see it happen at Millville. Some guy that came in as an obscure alternate smoked some moto’s in one of the age classes.

He was injured earlier in the year and just rode the Area enough to get in.

Last edited:
Go to Baja - It will blow your mind...

A Baja Regional will be an event you'll never forget -

Then come back on here and we can exchange stories from the weekend.

See ya there ....and good luck!
Sounds pretty sweet! I'm going to ride Medaryville next weekend to get some sand track riding in before the 500. I'll see if I can roll up there with Mercer since he's running the 30+ as well. I'm not a fan of going racing alone.

I would consider both a sand track and if you look at previous years people that do well live close. Iron Man is the only fair track in this region. A regional should not be at a track that has open practice several times a year.

I would consider both a sand track and if you look at previous years people that do well live close. Iron Man is the only fair track in this region. A regional should not be at a track that has open practice several times a year.

I'll call B S on this one!

The fastest guys will finish up front (baring unforeseen circumstances) no matter what track it is or how many open practices they have!

In 1997 I went to Baja for the Regional. I had never been to a sand track OR a Regional before then. I am happy to say I was good enough to qualify from Baja to get to LL (Open B) on my first trip to Baja.

Was it hard? Yes, but it should be. Yes, a lot of "locals" did well but then they suffered at LL on "real" dirt.

Back