62 vintage race

Rt 62 052.JPG

Yes that is a Suzuki 125 passing a "big Maico" on the outside, shut down his line in the second corner before the line.

Rt 62 058.JPG

Rt 62 046.JPG

6 moto's 3 practice sessions on a cool track, and home for dinner and sleep in my own bed. I think the discussions this weekend that led to a decision to hold the regional events on Saturday both VMX & PV was outstanding. It will definitely take some time to develop and fine tune the series but why not push on and make it the best series we can. Spoke to Dave a few min ago, he's ok and seems determined to develop the series also.

A couple of pictures of the fast guys, & me.

I think 1 day will go a long way and adding a couple more defined newer but still older classes could work. I had a great time - between practice and 3 classes over 2 days on a 1.5 mile track I figure I am around 40 laps so lets just figure I got to ride 60 miles on a fun track! Thanks to everyone that put it together.

Ok got race weekend in the books! Overall good weekend for a start! IMO not without a little controversy along the way. With that out of the way we did make strides for the future! 1- rest of series 1 day events! I think. 2-I think race schedule to be 830 riders meeting,900 practice, racing at 10 . This will work better for everybody! Riders what's your thoughts? Good,bad and the ugly? We need to realize that we here in Ohio are fortunate to have this many races here! Dave Woolever has done a good job to put this together for US! But he needs input on how things are done,I don't think he's got much help from upper AHRMA personal . But I think he has a better understanding now. For this series to be able to continue we as riders need to try to find more guys to support these races! And I think that track owners in Ohio must realize that Unadilla is not in Ohio,1000 riders are not going to just show up! Tracks need to work on the support classes to make them more profitable for them! I've been to North Atlantic Regional races with 300 + modern bikes! Thoughts ???

Yea, a one day format would likely work better than the 2 day spread. (Then maybe at some point it could grow into a two day event.)

On the days race schedule, the 8:30/9:00/10:00 schedule is a good one. It gives the distance travelers and stragglers time to get there, and set up.

The weekends controversies can be smoothed over, and it needs emphasized that we need and appreciate all the hard work that Lonnie, Dave Woolever, and all of the Route 62 facility workers put into this weekend. It was a good start to the Route 62 Vintage Regional racing program and event for the future. We just need to all pitch in and build on it.

Agree also on getting (inviting and enticing) more people to come with us to race this program would go a long way towards it's survival. I found it very interesting while setting at staging for the gate, how many pick-up trucks with dirt bikes loaded in the back, drove past Route 62 MX park. And many actually honked their horns at us.

Route 62 is a very fun and safe track, and has some unique qualities. Most of all being it's awesome elevation change-ups and track length. Who could possibly complain about not getting enough track time this weekend?

Now does this mean that Route 62 is going to be for everybody? NOPE! The vintage racers with 4" suspensions are a tough crowd to please. For us to get more of them to come, I think we'll have some work to do here. (But I'm sure it can be done.)

I think the Support class's were a fantastic benefit of the weekend. I was stoked to get to race my 98 CR in actual motocross for a change. For the last few years, it's been GP's only. And then having my Grandson racing his PW50 was all cake icing.

One benefit of the little tikes racing was that it does give the older guys a little bit of much needed breathing room between moto's. I also feel that the little PW guys definitely don't need, or necessarily want to have the full track length for their race. It spreads them out too much and too far, and does take too long per lap. Especially if they are timid beginners like my grandson.

Thanks again to everybody.
Great Weekend... Had a Blast !

Last edited:
Reviewing the scoring info to post this morning, there were 75 entries, not as big as it should be, but not bad for the first ever Great Lakes Regional in Central Ohio, and the first ever Vintage event at RT 62, something to build on for the next race.

Certainly compressing it to one day will help the promoter and make it a fun day for all of us without spending the whole weekend at the track.

Reviewing the scoring info to post this morning, there were 75 entries, not as big as it should be, but not bad for the first ever Great Lakes Regional in Central Ohio, and the first ever Vintage event at RT 62, something to build on for the next race.

Certainly compressing it to one day will help the promoter and make it a fun day for all of us without spending the whole weekend at the track.
Thanks Mike. If you need anything else let me know
db9aebe834071d775a279dbe28703fb2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

Yes, the one day format would be a big plus for one day attendance. Between PV/Vintage and some popular support classes on one day, attendance would be filled out much better. It's hard to understand what AHRMA's motivation is for needing to split up PV and Vintage into two days for a regional?

A big thanks to Rt 62 for running an old bike race and providing a great time to the folks who like to ride those older bikes :) !

Thanks Denny Swartz for taking the time to give my rear tire a quick air fill right before the start of the 2nd moto...too bad the darn thing was leaking to fast to even make it to the starting line. Had a great time regardless of the flat tire.

Yes, the one day format would be a big plus for one day attendance. Between PV/Vintage and some popular support classes on one day, attendance would be filled out much better. It's hard to understand what AHRMA's motivation is for needing to split up PV and Vintage into two days for a regional?

A big thanks to Rt 62 for running an old bike race and providing a great time to the folks who like to ride those older bikes :) !

Thanks Denny Swartz for taking the time to give my rear tire a quick air fill right before the start of the 2nd moto...too bad the darn thing was leaking to fast to even make it to the starting line. Had a great time regardless of the flat tire.
In my opinion it defiantly needs to be a 1 day event. If it grows to where it needs to be 2 days then maybe it is justified. On a positive note we made it thru the weekend with no injuries and learned a lot about cool old bikes. Not sure what day our next vintage race will be either Saturday or Sunday but as long as it's a one day event with vintage and post vintage we are ready to do it! Thank you all who came out and all the advice too!

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

Back