Big Decisions to Be Made at Malvern

My son has been racing Malvern since 2009. We have met a lot of good people and watched your riders grow up through the classes. Hate to see it go but in my eyes family is always 1st! With that being said I will miss coming to the track of it's sold. What about Broken Spokes?
Pretty sure Bob turned Spokes into a shrimp farm or something of that nature

I'd hate to see Malvern go away... That would be a huge lose for the OMA. Malvern makes up about 30% of the schedule. That's a lot of racing and practice that would be gone :(

Man, the past few years during race season Malvern has been my home away from home almost every weekend it seems like. Would be sad to see it go. When I first started racing and won at other tracks I always thought "yeah I won, but I haven't won at Malvern yet". Malvern was THE track everyone went to, was more challenging and there was lots of competition so it didn't really matter to me if I won somewhere else, I wanted to win at Malvern lol.

1984 Malvern.jpg
Awesome facility with a cool history. What a tough call to make.

Last edited:
I appreciate Jason for being honest with us about the situation he didn't have to come out publicly about this. Let's get out and fill the gates the rest of this season and give them a reason to keep this great track open.

Malvern ( originally Moto Sport Trails , thanks Jerry Laughlin ) , IS Ohio motocross to me and the standard by which I've always measured any track I've been to . Raced my first race there in 1974 . Probably still pieces of my hide ground into that dirt somewhere . Sure hope the amount of MX history that dwells on that land can be preserved .

The old photo location is located before the current finish line. In the early 1980's , we jumped from the top of that hill. The current track uses a left hander onto the middle of this massive downhill jump, located near the burgundy colored bush on the right side of this old photo. I remember shifting into 5th or 6th gear going down this hill. Original44 took me to watch one of my first MX races at Malvern around 1980-81. We raced Malvern and Valley View through the 1980's. Great memories.

OIR?
Good luck with what ever you decide.
yesss oir needs to come back to life like hand days...no disrespect to owners now had horrile luck with weather last yr and now with back. just miss that place when gates were full. be sad to see malvern go that was my first race and its a fun track!

Wait a minute! Maybe it is the miller lights, but this feels like the "final fair we'll tour the stones did for 20 years" to sell tickets! Ha ha...... I like the take on OIR deal even though it was a Hudat idea...ha ah

I love oir and I think nick and Chet are doing a ok job, but the township has really put the hurts on them. Only allowing 2 events a month nothing during the week as far as open practice goes.

Nick and Chet have done an outstanding job with oir. It's not easy running any track but their crew did the best they could to give us a good place to ride. You CANNOT please everyone no matter what track you open up.
To my knowledge, the Township was exactly the same when the Hand family ran it. As a matter of fact, they had one race a month at the facility at most (due to race schedule and township as far as I know). The clem family opened up for practices to open up a place for people to ride. They wanted a place we could ride frequently. They had only a two week window to get the track back in shape for the next practice. The Hand family had a month between events, sometimes less, sometimes more. They also had a much larger team of workers at the track. Practices are much different than race events as well.
Either way it's sad to see tracks come and go and events be canceled due to health, weather, or luck. All we can do as the northeastern ohio moto community is continue supporting our local tracks. Get out and ride people!

Tracks come, tracks go. Lots of history at Malvern but in the end it's just a dirt bike track and if it closes life will go on. Lots and lots of other places with huge history have closed in Ohio --- Honda Hills, Broken Spokes, Kenworthy's, Mid Ohio to just name a few.

I remember that Malvern actually DID close back in the 80's --- I don't remember the reasons, but it was called Motosport Trails and for whatever reason moved from Malvern to the location that eventually changed it's name to Spring Valley. A handful of years after "closing" it then re-opened as Malvern MX. Anyone remember exactly what that whole closing/moving/reopening was about?

Jason Rogers and family are some of the hardest working, nicest people I've ever known in my life. Whatever happens I truly wish you the best! I thank you greatly for all the hard work, hours, and money you have put into Malvern the last several years to really bring it back. Do what's best for you and we all support you in your decisions.

Jason, you and your family have countless hours bringing Malvern back to the forefront of Ohio MX and making it a premier track in the country. We had lengthy discussions about Malvern this past weekend while sitting around the campfire at Unadilla rewind. Malvern is a staple in Ohio motocross. How many times has the question been asked...."how far is it from Malvern?" hahaha. Everyone knows where Malvern is! I talked to people from all over the country this past weekend at Unadilla and when I tell them I'm from Ohio they ALWAYS mention Malvern (or Moto Sport Trails from the guys older than me).

From my personal standpoint I would hate to see Malvern permanently gone. Malvern is the heart of Ohio motocross and you have developed the track and your staff into a well oiled machine. Many local businesses and motorcycle dealers also benefit from the track. As Vet261 said motocross tacks do come and go but to me it's more than a dirt bike track. Malvern has stood the test of time through market trends, bad economies and whacky neighbors complaining of noise or dust or whatever they can think of to complain about. In a down economy when everyone else's numbers are tanking, Malvern is expanding with track changes, countless loads of sand and additional lighting.

I would love to see you keep the track and your success continue to grow and as a long time friend I support whatever decision you make.

Back