Dirt Country this weekend

MX_Implements

PR Addict
I couldn't care less about a trophy. My LL bib is about the only thing like that I care about and I got that a few years ago.
I only care if the track is handing out dealer checks or gas cards. One of the reasons for wanting those classes is for contingency.
In all aspects , racing is a complete waste of money for most us. So if I can get my day day paid for by winning some contingency it makes it somewhat worthwhile.

A few weeks ago I raced Treaty and won 3 out 4 motos. Between the dealer check and contingency from Yamaha I received $185.
My simpleton math calculations said my day was paid for and I put about 70 bucks in my pocket. If JO doesn't offer those classes that's fine , I will continue doing what I have been doing and pick and choose where I go and keep doing open ride days.

I am not the only person that wants these classes.

MX955

PitRacer Pro
Of course I would, Im a B rider, I cant sign up for A class because then I would have to for large AMA races like the battle series. But how many 30A riders will you get to justify a gate for them? 2 or 3 normally? They have the split perfect right now for the crowd, Vet 30 , 40 and 50 and a Vet C class. That split gives entry level riders a chance to race without feeling in the way of fast guys.

I literally have hundreds of trophies at home. Like I said, come to Chillitown for the Battle race. If you dont have fun I will pay your gate fee AND give you a really cool First place trophy from Chillitown from my collection. You have to be honest, no lying about it either.

B rider,hmmmmm.....lol

DHDS01.png

ck1racerx

PR Addict
A few weeks ago I raced Treaty and won 3 out 4 motos. Between the dealer check and contingency from Yamaha I received $185.
My simpleton math calculations said my day was paid for and I put about 70 bucks in my pocket. If JO doesn't offer those classes that's fine , I will continue doing what I have been doing and pick and choose where I go and keep doing open ride days..

So you only want to race if you get paid? but you want a 30+B/C class? If you want paid, then race the A class. You have a chance to win cash every time you throw your leg over the bike. That is simpleton moto.

NQ1965

PR Elite
So you only want to race if you get paid? but you want a 30+B/C class? If you want paid, then race the A class. You have a chance to win cash every time you throw your leg over the bike. That is simpleton moto.

I remember Diedre Caldwell from Honda Hills telling us way back in the beginning for us, "If you wanna be fast, then you're gonna have to race with the fast boys, and it will happen." That always stuck with me.

hershey

PR Elite
B rider,hmmmmm.....lol

View attachment 52674

Haha.... I have the Birch Creek SE area qualifier to thank for that one! If you werent qualifying for LL they signed you up in 40 B/C, if you were you got stuck in 40 Masters which I later found out was A class. Real effing nice.

View attachment 52675

Screen shot from Red Bud thread on Vital......

Thats so last year Weasel, you're going to have to do better than that. I think this thread has run its course judging by this post.

Dano762

PR Addict
I don't even race anymore because it wasn't fun for me after a while. I'll be old and be a practice privateer.

Might have an answer. The Regional AHRMA is changing up traditional thinking about what Post Vintage racing can be. Take a look in the Old Guys and Bikes section under 2016 AHRMA 2016 Regional schedule post - good races at nice tracks on the still on the schedule this year.

If we market the Racing Experience more than the bike (have a few classes that are much more inclusive and try to group riders more by speed than bike technology)
  • the 30 second board and gate drop (nothing like that feeling - NQ1965 calls it a racer high that lasts for days and is right)
  • race for fun but you are still racing (the racing is what differentiates this from just riding on practice days)
  • race what you have (it will likely be a older bike anyway - probably one in the shed or garage from the era the racer stopped racing)
  • get back to a track (you forgot how damn cool it is)
  • more relaxed and less uptight (riding a dirt bike is fun and we are all way past it being serious or having a future glory filled profession)
  • supportive and friendly (I argue enough at work - this is supposed to be my escape from reality)
  • bring you son or daughter (same racing experience philosophy and not 8 different classes for under 10)
  • more affordable
  • safer less injury risk
  • tamer track jumps
  • not getting landed on
  • judgement free and less intimidating (with my speed if I am not laughed off the track - I promise nobody else will be)

ktrop251

PR Member
Might have an answer. The Regional AHRMA is changing up traditional thinking about what Post Vintage racing can be. Take a look in the Old Guys and Bikes section under 2016 AHRMA 2016 Regional schedule post - good races at nice tracks on the still on the schedule this year.

If we market the Racing Experience more than the bike (have a few classes that are much more inclusive and try to group riders more by speed than bike technology)
  • the 30 second board and gate drop (nothing like that feeling - NQ1965 calls it a racer high that lasts for days and is right)
  • race for fun but you are still racing (the racing is what differentiates this from just riding on practice days)
  • race what you have (it will likely be a older bike anyway - probably one in the shed or garage from the era the racer stopped racing)
  • get back to a track (you forgot how damn cool it is)
  • more relaxed and less uptight (riding a dirt bike is fun and we are all way past it being serious or having a future glory filled profession)
  • supportive and friendly (I argue enough at work - this is supposed to be my escape from reality)
  • bring you son or daughter (same racing experience philosophy and not 8 different classes for under 10)
  • more affordable
  • safer less injury risk
  • tamer track jumps
  • not getting landed on
  • judgement free and less intimidating (with my speed if I am not laughed off the track - I promise nobody else will be)
I'm going to check that out for sure. I never thought I'd see the day when that would seem enticing. (I'm 26 and I'm in an old guys forum lol) sounds like it might be fun though. I do have two decade old bikes too. 05 and an 06 both 2 smokes.

Original44

PR Addict
Big difference is the top 2 pics the parking lots were full.
Third pic is clearly first thing in the morning with a very low turnout.

Chris can you tell me why people showed up to DC in 90's early 2000's ?

I'm pretty sure I'm hidden somewhere in that second pic.

Have you been around the Motocross scene lately? Moto is dying. There are nowhere near the riders that there used to be in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. A lot of great tracks with great prep are not racing now. Perfect example was when the Hands ran Big Game the last 2 years.

Last edited:

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Have you been around the Motocross scene lately? Moto is dying. There are nowhere near the riders that there used to be in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. A lot of great tracks with great prep are not racing now. Perfect example was when the Hands ran Big Game the last 2 years.

No s**t. Especially when you got 30 year old guys winning the local the 125 class. Kids should be blowing the doors off the old farts. The gates should be full.

ktrop251

PR Member
Have you been around the Motocross scene lately? Moto is dying. There are nowhere near the riders that there used to be in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. A lot of great tracks with great prep are not racing now. Perfect example was when the Hands that ran Big Game the last 2 years.
Pretty wild how different it is just from the early 2000s. The amount, the caliber, and the amount of tracks out there. I remember it being a weekly debate of where we were going to ride on the weekends. Now it's maybe two tracks to choose from. I remember racing wr, broken spokes or malvern saturday nights, go home sleep for a few hours, then off to another track in the morning sunday. Gates SHOULD be full. People just aren't racing like the used to anymore. Even practice tracks don't have turnouts like they used to. What's the cause? Money? Time? Laziness? Video games consuming our nation's youth? Oh and I remember full gates saturday night and Sunday morning. Most of them I didn't see both days in a row. Craziness how many people have hung up their boots.

ktrop251

PR Member
Time. Cost. Safety. Many things starting to happen. Cost and Safety are both huge.
I get that. I guess I never took in to account the safety factor and hospital trips ain't cheap. Lol.
In all seriousness, it's sad seeing where it was to where it is now locally. The tracks that once flourished now have double digit turnouts. In the 2000s I never thought I'd see it this way but money plays a huge roll. The economy is another topic but it bums me out to see things the way they are. Everyone get out and support your tracks!

ck1racerx

PR Addict
You reap what you sow. Its not time, or cost, or safety. Its the wussifaction of a generation. As soon as they stopped keeping score in little league, that was the death blow of moto. Little Johnny cant possibly have his feelings hurt by finding out that he LOST. The C class is full of sandbaggers and really crappy riders. The B class is... well, pathetic.
The 85 classes in this state really has me considered for our future. They are terrible. Outside of a few...no... a COUPLE... they are S - L - O - W.
Oh, I forgot the A riders. I have seen 3 good ones. The kid that wears the flannel shirt. The kid on the 2 stoke (I think maybe both are on 2 stokes this year.) and Gibson. The rest are purse builders.

Yes, there are a few exceptions to this. And I mean VERY few.
Here is a test to see if you are one of the few.
upload_2016-7-5_9-46-20.png

Now, before you get your panties in a bunch, its OK if your not one of the few. It can be fixed. (If you want)
Start by going to RACES and not just open practice. Again, nothing wrong with open practice but if you want to get fast then you MUST race. When you practice then ride hard. Work on sections (corners) and not scrubbing every damn jump. Don't run one lap at speed then cruise around looking down at the shifter like something is wrong for 2 laps.
If you are content with "just having fun" then that is fine also. Just keep going to RACES and supporting the sport. Supporting the sport is going to races and NOT open practice. If you only go to practice then tracks will completely stop holding races. Then this site will have to change names to PitPractice and no one wants that.
Life is moto. There are winners and losers. Take that away and you may as well register as a democrat.