What would it take to bring you back to RACING

MX099

PR Addict
WNYRacing is doing it correct. If your not interested in end of year points and banquet don't buy the card. Just race. I don't think PAMX forces you to buy a card either.
Banquets have there place and some people enjoy them. I don't. I would rather a track hand out swag through out the race day. Which is another thing WNYRacing is doing. Are you seeing a pattern?
$10 weekend gate fee. Saturday $25 practice, Sunday race day first class $25, second $20, third $15. Do I have to say it? Another thing WNYRacing is doing.
Now here is an idea I like, offer track gear, T's, hats, hoodies, etc. as awards. It brings awareness to the track and the sport and the cost is less. Plus you can put sponsor logos on them and pass off the cost. I find it hard to believe a kid wouldn't want a backpack over a trophy.
I know this sounds like I'm a WNYR cheerleader but every time I go back I see more PA and Ohio riders. Seem like a long drive for something that isn't working.
A friend of mine finished 9th in a Vet moto and was a random winner of a pair of Scott Hustle goggles. They gave out 12 pairs that day.

JB19

PR Member
Split program like Honda Hills ran. Minis and vets practice at 11:00 am and done by 4:00. All other classes practice at 5:00 and race into the evening. Of course this requires lights for the evening program.

If you race the early program you are out by 5:00..... Or stay and hang out...... Race the night program and don't show up till 4:00pm. I think sometimes the grind of 6:00 am to 5:000pm just wears people out after they have already had a rough week of work and just want to have fun.

The sport has grown to so many classes that the day just begins dragging on by early afternoon after you woke up at 4:30am -6:00am to start your day on a weekend.

mxbigd17

PR Member
I think I'd like to race but this being my first year riding not sure about it. I've been on a track 3 times so far. With my work schedule is days are the only day to practice and that hasn't worked out well either. Besides I would probably be the only guy in 40+ riding a 250f and hardly jumping anything lol
No no no! I race 40+ on a 250F and jumping is fun, but the point and shoot technique does not work so well. You gotta keep your momentum up for sure going thru turns and on the plus side, they are easier to handle and brake way faster than the 450. It's all about having fun whether you jump, don't jump....or just roll around. Tell everybody that didn't come to watch you race, that you won. Don't let facts ruin a good story.

MOTODAD024

PR Addict
50 SHAFT REG 50 65 85 JR 85 SR SCHOOL BOY 250 ABC 450ABC SENIOR 1 SENIOR 2 OPEN PRACTICE NOT GOOD MY DAYS U WENT RACING AND WE RACED RAIN OR SHINE AND MAKE IT 2 DAYS OF RACING BECAUSE MOST PEOPLE HAVE SLEEPING TRAILERS AND DONT RACE ON TOP OF EACH OTHER AND C CLASS 10 RACES U UP TO B CLASS

JB19

PR Member
What-Does-That-Mean.gif
50 SHAFT REG 50 65 85 JR 85 SR SCHOOL BOY 250 ABC 450ABC SENIOR 1 SENIOR 2 OPEN PRACTICE NOT GOOD MY DAYS U WENT RACING AND WE RACED RAIN OR SHINE AND MAKE IT 2 DAYS OF RACING BECAUSE MOST PEOPLE HAVE SLEEPING TRAILERS AND DONT RACE ON TOP OF EACH OTHER AND C CLASS 10 RACES U UP TO B CLASS

GoFar

PR Member
No need to yell....

John250

PR Founding Father
people have busy lives. I personally think $10 entry is fine with a max of like $30 per car. that would save me $20 for my family. $25, $20 and $15 for class entry by family. if a father and son race two classes each, $75 for 4 classes. basically it is one free class for the two of them.

no one wants to hear it....but limit the classes on the LOCAL scene. if it's a qualifier or regional, fine run all the AMA classes. but on the local level, let's cut it way back.

Sent from my SM-G900V using PitRacer mobile app

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
If less than 3 people in the car give a break for coupons for cheaper class to race.like $30 car load but then first class get $5-10 off. Something.

Last edited:

MXracn746

PR Addict
I think I'd like to race but this being my first year riding not sure about it. I've been on a track 3 times so far. With my work schedule is days are the only day to practice and that hasn't worked out well either. Besides I would probably be the only guy in 40+ riding a 250f and hardly jumping anything lol
Right now I'm in about the same boat as you. I'd rather be racing than practicing, but right now I need more time practicing, and to lose about 20~30 lbs! LOL

ktrop251

PR Member
The membership thing that was brought up seems cool. One reason I don't race anymore is because I'm not in it for a points chase. The membership seems pointless for only hitting a couple races out of the season if I'm lucky.

How much is a gate fee these days? Is it $15? If so, I think that's a tad pricey. No one comes alone. That's $30 right off the bat on top of gas to get there. I can see $10 per person because you're pulling $20 a car on average.

Discount second and third classes. I know it'd lose some money but get people interested again. Get people in the door to get a taste of racing again. Hell, run a handful of events a year at cheaper prices to spike interest in locals. Try it at different tracks in different areas.

John250

PR Founding Father
dirt country had a throw back race last year with throw back prices. we were gone that weekend and could not go. not sure what their attendance for the event was.

ktrop251

PR Member
dirt country had a throw back race last year with throw back prices. we were gone that weekend and could not go. not sure what their attendance for the event was.

That's exactly what I was talking about. Do some good advertising and get people talking and there could be some money in it. Even if it's not long term, that one race might get you that 300 rider turnout you've been looking for.

Original44

PR Addict
Personally, I think that a track could offer a weekend of free racing and you still wouldn't get a great turnout. What the track owners charge isn't the problem. The problem is we just don't have the number of people riding dirt bikes anymore. That's where the focus needs to be.

We are losing tracks in north eastern Ohio. The Hands are not promoting races because no one showed up. Looks like we may be losing Malvern, OIR looks to be done. TV land join the OMA and still isn't getting any better turnout. Those are the facts.....

Original44

PR Addict
That's exactly what I was talking about. Do some good advertising and get people talking and there could be some money in it. Even if it's not long term, that one race might get you that 300 rider turnout you've been looking for.

And the track owner would still make less money than if he had 150 people showed up at full price.

Motodad23

PR Member
I think advertisement is one of the big problems. What about people that don't know about this site or get alerts on other social media,i don't have other social media so I don't know how that works. May not gain riders at first but what about bigger spectator crowds. Maybe there's just that generation gap in riders right now?

John250

PR Founding Father
I disagree people are not riding dirt bikes. Qualifiers and regionals are having record crowds. The only ones benefiting from all of this is the coombs family and MX Sports. They are the one reaping huge awards from amateur motocross.

B Gotti

PR Member
I think advertisement is one of the big problems. What about people that don't know about this site or get alerts on other social media,i don't have other social media so I don't know how that works. May not gain riders at first but what about bigger spectator crowds. Maybe there's just that generation gap in riders right now?

How would you recommend getting the word out to people who don't use FB, Insta etc?

Original44

PR Addict
I disagree people are not riding dirt bikes. Qualifiers and regionals are having record crowds. The only ones benefiting from all of this is the coombs family and MX Sports. They are the one reaping huge awards from amateur motocross.

That's part of the problem, but not a big one.

Dirtbike sales are way down and the new riders are getting less and less. Back in the 80s, 90s, and early 2000's we had a lot more people riding dirt bikes. I remember district 11, District 12, District 5 and CRA used to run races on the same weekends and get some great turnout. We just don't have the numbers of young kids riding today and it shows.

Matt Mangano

PR Member
I think timed races would be cool. I'd prefer to be on the track for 10 minutes per race rather than 3-5 laps. Timed practices as well. I know smith road still uses timed practices on race days and I can put in a solid 10-12 laps in the allotted time, much better than 5 laps (if you're lucky). Also, you'd know exactly when you'd race/practice based on a schedule.