No more mudders?

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Think it needs its own topic.
Yes, it's another "back in my day" reply. BUT... I am a little surprised about the lack of willingness to race in a mud fest. Yes, they had rain outs back when we had drum brakes and power valves, but now that everyone is riding tractors that can easily make it through deep mud, no one wants to do it. Riding in mud does take a different kind of talent (like sand) and since tracks in Ohio cancel when it starts to get a little cloudy, no one around here has that skill any longer. This was one of the few skills that Ohio (Midwest) riders had over the Cali boys when it came to Loretta's. Every year atleast one moto is a mud bog at the ranch. Now Ohio racers suffer just as bad in the muck as the westcoasters.
The video of RedBud this past weekend reminds me a lot of a day at the ranch in the 80's. Basically rivers flowing across the track. So much watch that the bike really is not that muddy at the end of the moto cause it was like racing in a carwash. I always thought that kind of mud was fun. Just keep your feet on the pegs, set back and hold it wfo!
I know "bike are so expensive". Blah blah blah. It motocross. Mud is part of it.
Don't you have fun in the mud? Then why not race in it? Let's hear your mud stories.

For me. And my son personally. It's a maintenance/cost of a mud race. And for what?? We don't get paid to race. It's expensive enough. We did a few last year. And each one despite my son having a blast. And doing well. Cost me a lot of money.

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

I had a blast riding in the rain and mud at vet fest however the clean up sucked. I hate cleaning that crap up and i hate that its hard on our bikes and gear. We normally dont ride in mud because of those reasons listed. We spend to much money doing this for 5 laps of trashing everything for a plastic trophy. Yes it is motocross and we choose not to participate in that aspect of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it's another "back in my day" reply. BUT... I am a little surprised about the lack of willingness to race in a mud fest. Yes, they had rain outs back when we had drum brakes and power valves, but now that everyone is riding tractors that can easily make it through deep mud, no one wants to do it. Riding in mud does take a different kind of talent (like sand) and since tracks in Ohio cancel when it starts to get a little cloudy, no one around here has that skill any longer. This was one of the few skills that Ohio (Midwest) riders had over the Cali boys when it came to Loretta's. Every year atleast one moto is a mud bog at the ranch. Now Ohio racers suffer just as bad in the muck as the westcoasters.
The video of RedBud this past weekend reminds me a lot of a day at the ranch in the 80's. Basically rivers flowing across the track. So much watch that the bike really is not that muddy at the end of the moto cause it was like racing in a carwash. I always thought that kind of mud was fun. Just keep your feet on the pegs, set back and hold it wfo!
I know "bike are so expensive". Blah blah blah. It motocross. Mud is part of it.
Don't you have fun in the mud? Then why not race in it? Let's hear your mud stories.
THANK YOU.

I don't know about the younger crowd but I ride for fun and to me, there's nothing fun about mud. I'm not out to win a title and at this stage in my life it's not going to make me a better rider because I'm as good as I'm ever going to be. It's hard on equipment and a pain to clean everything up. Just my personal preference. Call me a fair weather rider. I'm good with that.

i have had plenty of mud races in including this week end...i race once a year if i am lucky any more, so i am not chasing points... to me its not worth destroying my bike for nothing... i just spent 2 days cleaning my new bike that had 2 rides on it...the older i get the nicer the weather needs to be for me to ride...

Emergency reply from a cell phone as I'm testing the new one.

Mud is fun. And you'll be a way better rider if you can get the hang of it. Everything slows down so that those big moves don't hurt as much when they go wrong.

You get really dirty though.

I sucked in the mud when I was younger. It wasnt until about 2010 when i got my rm250 that I really enjoyed mud motos... I learned you just have to be loose and hold it wide open and just let the bike do as it pleases... Honestly I think it's easier to ride a two stroke in the mud vs. a 4 stroke...

Best memory racing in mud was cocr in spring of 2014
image.jpeg

THANK YOU.

I am not being a smart ass but if you two will sponsor my son and pay of his bike repairs, I will put him in every mud race around, no joke!!!! So let me know if your interested because we are interested in doing more racing, rain or shine but just need a little help financially from who ever will help us and I will guarantee he will be a top rider next year we just need some help!!! Please help us out.

Last edited:
And you Debbie Downers call me negitive... Man, get in touch with your inner child and go out and ride some mud. Get dirty. It's fun. Yes it is going to cover up your $380 500 color custom graphics (that only you think looks good) and it my stain your gear (but you have 12 sets) and it's a little hard on the bike but you are going to sell it anyway when you see the wingding (that you don't need and or can't use) they added on next years model.
You all say your in the sport for fun. Well, with the proper mindset you can not have more fun than in the slop

Oh, and it give you an excuse to use that $500 pressure washer that you had to have because Little Johnny had one ($2 at the carwash each time you go. Ride 25 times a year. That's a 10 year pay off. Odds are its not going to last that long). So use that darn thing

i have 0 fun in the mud, and im terrible in it, which makes it less fun... but thats because i never did it growing up more than a hand full of times. dad didnt want to deal with the mess and we didnt have the $ to fix whatever i broke in the process.

if im at the track and it starts to rain, im still riding. might suck but wasnt raised a quitter! happened once this year, starting pouring 2 motos before me, sat on the line in rain for 10 min waiting for it to stop lightning. I was OK with that despite how awful I knew i was going to ride.

but no chance im signing up knowing its a mess...

And you Debbie Downers call me negitive... Man, get in touch with your inner child and go out and ride some mud. Get dirty. It's fun. Yes it is going to cover up your $380 500 color custom graphics (that only you think looks good) and it my stain your gear (but you have 12 sets) and it's a little hard on the bike but you are going to sell it anyway when you see the wingding (that you don't need and or can't use) they added on next years model.
You all say your in the sport for fun. Well, with the proper mindset you can not have more fun than in the slop

Oh, and it give you an excuse to use that $500 pressure washer that you had to have because Little Johnny had one ($2 at the carwash each time you go. Ride 25 times a year. That's a 10 year pay off. Odds are its not going to last that long). So use that darn thing
I'm dead f'in serious, help me pay for all the stuff (parts and rebuilds) that goes along with the mudders and I will put my son and his bikes on the line every week. yz 250f and a yz 125, help a brother out and I will show you results!! I don't have the money to keep the bikes going but my son has the talent. So?????

Oh, and by the way knox I don't call you anything... so the debbie downer comment is from someone else... not me

Lol
Knox didn't you drive all the way to Red Bud just to leave when it rained all day?

Best line in weeks on here!!! That has to hurt!

if im at the track and it starts to rain, im still riding. might suck but wasnt raised a quitter!

LIAR!!! Ive personally seen you load up your bike because it was sprinkling, then pulled it out when it stopped! Lol

Personally I love riding in the mud, on my 125. On a 450 it just plain sucks ass. Some of my best, favorite races were mud races. Now Im not saying they are all fun, those thick goopy sticky nasty ones suck no matter what. But a good summer rainy mud race is the cats meow.

Last edited:
That was alot of people views, if we ran the numbers i would say every single person at Red Bud had almost the same exact view. However some people still went out and rode their motos....

I love riding in the mud, but the clean up sucks. If it's raining at my house we stay home. If it starts raining at the track we race. It's just motocross and you better get used to it, but eventually you're going to have to race in it. (qualifiers, regional, or Loretta Lynn's)
By the way this photo was just practice not a race day.
image.jpeg

Back