No more mudders?

40+b was the last moto at redbud before the cancelled.thirty riders signed up only twelve showed up at the gate.myself and opie(matt joslin) were two of them.i had clutch problems but opie finished.i was able to stand along the fence a cheer my buddy in a driving rain.it was probably the most fun i have had at a track in a long time.

I am not being a smart ass but if you two will sponsor my son and pay of his bike repairs, I will put him in every mud race around, no joke!!!! So let me know if your interested because we are interested in doing more racing, rain or shine but just need a little help financially from who ever will help us and I will guarantee he will be a top rider next year we just need some help!!! Please help us out.
I hear factory Suzuki is looking for a rider. My daughter and I don't have room for anyone at this time so I'd like to respectfully decline. Try Suzuki though. I hear that Stewie guy couldn't hack it with them. You could also try the Star Racing Yamaha team, I hear Cooper Webb is moving up to 450s for supercross. See how far those places get you, not trying sound like a smart ass. I'm just spit balling here.

Having always been a woods guy, I would usually only show up for MX races if they WERE going to be muddy. I always looked forward to the muddy mess that kenworthy's grass race was. Having my bike set up for the woods meant it was too soft for all the big jumps so it leveled the playing field out, so to speak.

I am planning on riding some MX next year and I will be praying for rain at every one of them.

I'm dead f'in serious, help me pay for all the stuff (parts and rebuilds) that goes along with the mudders and I will put my son and his bikes on the line every week. yz 250f and a yz 125, help a brother out and I will show you results!! I don't have the money to keep the bikes going but my son has the talent. So?????
I already am your sponsor. I GIVE you free entertainment on this site. I GIVE free riding tips to all that ask at the races and open practices. I even GIVE free tips on how to secure $ sponsorships from local and national companies. (this is a lot easier than people make it out to be). No, your not going to get a 100K budget from Jimmy Johns or Monster, but I can all but guarantee you can get a couple hundred bucks from several local business if you approach it correctly. This smells like another topic... maybe I will add some details in the Riding Tips section... I have "helped" others. Of course, you have to be business savvy.

I do rain dances, and weird pre-big-race-BRING-ON-THE-RAIN rituals. I love racing in the MUD. Problem is....races get cancelled. Another problem is, if its muddy or MIGHT get muddy. My class of 5 racers turns into 2. So much fun racing against 2 people. Not.

42 man gate at a muddy, sloppy, crappy gloomy, sheet-raining regional or battle round are dream race days for me.

Lily.....So, A "4 lap" mudder is going to cost you more money in maintenance? Tell the kid to lay off the clutch, feet on the pegs, weight on the back and hold her wide. Also, pack FOAM everywhere you can on those bikes and grease all the fenders down with WD40 so the caking mud sloughs right off. Mudd falls off when you jump a little too....So get some air time over those table tops and if the bike feels overly muddy, purposely case the table top to get rid of mud. And don't pull all 7 tear-offs with one pull. That gets annoying real quick.

Ok my mud riding tips are done for the day.

Last edited:
Ok lily, one more tip. Keep these in your Trailer at all times. A good condition old helmet, and good condition old goggles you don't care to somewhat ruin. Nobody can see all the bling in the mud anyway. Dare I say, keep a beat set of practice plastic if you're worried about ruining the $200 graphic set.

dup01-ty125s-tyvekhazmatcoveralldupontdisposableprotectivesuit-1417-01.jpg

People used to call me the Michelin man at mud races. But you know what? That tyvek suit saved my gear and MUD DONT STICK TO IT.

(This post not directed at lily only, it's directed at all the "i'll load my bike up and go home if its a mud race" pansies. These kids wants to go to Lorettas and regionals. Most regionals and Lorettas end up being mud fests. Get your practice in now, or else cry later when 90 show up to the regional, you go 38 moto 1, 25th in your consi and they only take 10. And then go home by Saturday questioning why you wasted all your money on travelling 8 hours to a mud race regional....you will one day. you will.

Mudders are the best. I ride twice as good in the mud as I do on Hardpack, I think it is the little birdie in my head telling me it does not hurt as bad when you do a big lawn Dart. LOL

I agree. When was the last time Lorettas, a regional, a national, or a Supercross cancelled due to rain or the threat of poor weather? There are ways to save money as mentioned above. I always rocked the bright yellow rain suits at mud races. Yea, clean up sucks but I never blew up my bike. Lean back, get off the clutch, shift up, and twist. I can post pictures of mud races I've attended at OIR, tv land, and malvern. I was a local rider, nothing more, nothing less. It was just the nature of the sport. It was a way for me to learn how to ride in various conditions. It made me a much more well rounded rider.

This is MOTOCROSS. DIRT BIKES. We should just hold bike and fancy pants gear shows instead. Lord knows no one wants to get dirty on their DIRT BIKE.

DSC_4358.jpg

If the date is right on my file, this is June 2008. Kevin you may have been at this race, as this was the time frame you and #1 son here used to race together. This was a TV Land race, may have been a 2 day event and this was the Sunday race. Back then he or should I say we, as his twins brothers would have done this as well if I would have let them, would have participated in these conditions all day. Now today is another story. The first 2 races we attended this year were mudders, a harescramble and a motocross. We showed up and raced but the fun factor was not as high as the next two that were not mudders. Its a personal preference I guess. As the guys I work with say "you must have some sand in your va*&#a", to which I respond "I guess I do".

View attachment 53175
If the date is right on my file, this is June 2008. Kevin you may have been at this race, as this was the time frame you and #1 son here used to race together. This was a TV Land race, may have been a 2 day event and this was the Sunday race. Back then he or should I say we, as his twins brothers would have done this as well if I would have let them, would have participated in these conditions all day. Now today is another story. The first 2 races we attended this year were mudders, a harescramble and a motocross. We showed up and raced but the fun factor was not as high as the next two that were not mudders. Its a personal preference I guess. As the guys I work with say "you must have some sand in your va*&#a", to which I respond "I guess I do".
I was at that race. I think I posted a picture of that a few months back. I have tons of pictures from that race in particular. That was one that stood out in my mind. Notice the pouring down rain. Jimmy and I raced tv land plenty of times in conditions similar. Those were the days. I remember racing western reserve the day before easter one year. Snow, rain, snow, rain all night. That was one of my favorite races.

I think this was the same corner that day. Had a blast and if I remember correctly, there was a huge turnout for this race. Freaking stupid, freaking stupidly fun.
full.jpg

I hate the mud. Never liked it, never been good in it, except one race. Lorettas regional at Red Bud 1993. Practice was awesome, and then the skys opened up all night and the next day. I qualified 3rd for Lorettas out of Red Bud. Only race that I did ok in the Mud.

At 46 now, with two blow disc in my back, riding in the mud is the hardest thing riding wise on my back. Fighting it side to side. I cant hardly walk the next day. So to keep racing with a bad back, I stay off Muddy tracks.

As for my son, he would ride in it no matter what. But I use some common sense, because as with the other peoples comments the ROI is not worth it.

I love riding in the mud. Always did well at slop fests.

However, unless it's a regional or something, my bike isn't even getting unloaded these days. My bikes I rode in the mud alot literally cost half the price of my 16 450.

So, if anyone wants me to ride their bikes in the mud, let me know. Know that I assume no responsibility for any damage. Lol

OK , I'm old , but you haven't lived until you've ridden a steep downhill , with a hairpin turn at the bottom , in a slopfest , on a drum brake , pipey , 2-stroke .

A lesson learned : A first turn pileup at a mudder harescrambles screwed up my throttle cable so I could only get half throttle . This made me have to shift early and lug the motor to go any faster . I passed guys I had never passed before .

Back