Where are the racers? At the GNCCs

Vet261

PR Addict
Ironman GNCC just had 2,440 racers for the weekend. Think about that. Almost 2,500 racers for one single weekend event.

GNCC's used to be super gnarly survival races like the Blackwater 100. They have quietly shifted and evolved into less gnarly courses and more emphasis on the fun factor and bringing out the amateurs.

http://gnccracing.com/2016/11/02/am...ry-of-the-grand-national-cross-country-series

32035_img_3481.jpg

Weird. A fun, short day. Can't believe that's working. Good for them and good for the people out there having fun!

Definitely not a short day at a gncc. The last couple I did the top three and we where all less then a minute apart after more then 3hrs of racing. The weekend is fun but you better be ready for that 3 hrs all out on the bike!

Did anyone on here go to that race? What is the draw?
I tried one at Sunday Creek in 2000 on a Husaberg 600. Fell in the first turn and bent the bars. Took what seamed to be 6 hours to make one lap. Loaded up and went home. I assume like stated about, they must have made it much more user friendly.
2500 is amazing.

When they list Sportsman B as "Not scored" - what's that mean?

Looking over the lists, I do see quite a few names that I've seen at MX ..

I see $40 to sign-up after the purchase of a weekend pass.
They all look to be scored by transponder...so factor that in too.

Bunches of folks from out of state at every round you look at.
Some pretty far distances too... So they are experiencing traveling costs.

Most classes have 8-10- maybe 15 guys.

One of my co-workers races the GNCC series. (Quad rider).
He won the championship in his class in 2014. Took 2nd place overall last year, and looks like will do the same this year. They attract a fair amount of pro and ex-pro riders and there is always really good competition.

But.... It's very costly! Guessing between $10-$15K per year, with all the travel expenses and bike work.

He and I were just discussing it this morning. We run the numbers and estimate the event drew in $500,000. give or take a little.

Not sure how you are counting classes Sharc, but if you count all Bike, ATV, and UTV classes I see 101 available classes. UTV don't race every round though.

I'm also seeing way more than 8-10 guys per class for Ironman, not sure where you are looking at results.

Aha. So number of classes doesn't matter after all. It's just the 4 lap two Moto format that grinds everyone's gears.

Saw this on their site & made the post here. I haven't had time read it all, that's why I asked...

GNCC has over 84 total classes to compete in, ranging from the youngest youth groups to the Pro XC1 levels. In between, there are various skill level classes, i.e., “A” Expert, “B” Intermediate, and “C” Novice. It is important when competing in a skill level class that a rider select the proper class in accordance with their official AMA classification. Some riders wrongly assume they can compete in a higher classification locally, then “ride down” at the national level, i.e., race “A” in their local series and “B” at the nationals.

Ok so it's 101 - looks like cutting classes is not part of draw here...

This thread is about Ironman being the biggest to date. I get that.
My comment about entry's per class wasn't specifically about Ironman's # .....we already know it was the biggest to date.
So I looked at some of the other events because with 84 classes, that big number of total entry's makes the math change quickly.
And it's so often mentioned that folks don't like it when they line up with only a handful of others.

I'm just comparing and contrasting out of curiosity.

Last edited:
Back