Where are the racers? At the GNCCs

The most interesting thing to me is how many people are willing to race at the same time. Put more than 1 class on the gate for mx, and someone has an issue. Combine 3 to make a fuller gate and you are Hitler, combine women and 40+=world war 3

I think what is being proven here is that woods racers just don't complain as much as mx'ers. Here we are on this site debating why there are so many people go to these races, why there are so many classes, how much it costs, etc. Meanwhile, those people are just minding their own business and going racing because they like to do it. They enjoy going, so they go.

Gotta love it, man.

It's the same with GP race's. We are many different class's during a particular time slot/session but we are all on the course and in the woods battling it out at the same time.

In MX the big issue with mixing class's always seems to be because of jumps.

And the absence of jumps is also a reason many do race GP's and Hare Scrambles.

I haven't been on a GNCC course in many years, but like GP courses, they are usually wide and fast courses. But they still get some nasty hill climbs, mud pits and creek crossings (yuk).

What about flagging at a GNCC?
How's that work?

I've seen vid's where a downed rider and bike become an obstacle. Others riders just plowing past and or over in an effort to gain position or complete a section.

Then, add in the no fencing or barriers for spectating....
The more you look, the whole thing seems to be a much different mindset than the MX world.

To compare – let’s look at the RedBud Regional from this year.
I’ll drop the 4 girls classes (with 18,14,17 & 25 entries respectively)

Red Bud hosted one half of the eight Regionals ….that’s only 1/16 of the total.
They only hosted mini & C riders…

They had about 837 signed up for 16 classes.

How's that work?

I've seen vid's where a downed rider and bike become an obstacle. Others riders just plowing past and or over in an effort to gain position or complete a section.

The more you look, the whole thing seems to be a much different mindset than the MX world.
They always have a flager at the finish.

Keep in mind also GNCC courses are like 10 miles long so you can put 900 riders on the course at once.

If you watch a few of the helmet cams from Ironman you will see the one hill section is littered with spectators within inches of the lines the bikes are using! It was sketchy!

Sounds like there are multiple transponder checkpoints per lap and it says there you "can report a downed rider."

Definitely a different world than I'm used to. I've also looked at some of the results and there are a ton of racers from Ohio (some of them did really well) and I've never heard of many of them. A few names I recognize as old MX'ers.

http://gnccracing.com/pages/gncc-101

Flaggers? What are those ??? GP and scrambles seem to not need them. Everyone asks if you're ok on the way bye. I know from experience.

Read stories where people stopped help a guy having a heart attack on vital.

And the best part, the track runs through the pits.....and they don't slow down.
bruce

I've raced 12 out of the 13 rounds this year in the Vet B 30+ class in the afternoon 3hr race. The gncc racing/events are completely badass! They get massive turnouts of both racers and spectators. The events are very well organized. Kind of a no BS deal. I was a moto guy for 14 years and now the only Mx race I will do is the Redbud National weekend. The actual events themselves are cheap but the traveling and everything else gets pretty expensive. Only $20 to camp for the whole weekend. Try one and you will be hooked.

GNCC's are a blast. I have ridden the 2 Ohio rounds, Georgia, Indiana, and North Carolina. The one at Sunday Creek sucks every time I have gone. If that is your only experience with one I can see not liking them lol. Highly recommend Saint Clairesville next October if you are wanting to try one. Don't let the videos of the big creek crossing scare you. Almost all "difficult" obstacles have an easier way around them. It is just slower.

2,440, now that's more than a few racers! It will interesting to see if this trend continues. And at what point could it become too big?

But they do have classes for everyone. Even at my age I'd have one more age group class to look forward to.

Georgie, I know a young man who won the GNCC 250 C overall a couple of years ago. He just began working on his RN degree. And I believe he's currently the points leader in couple classes for the Fast Traxx GP series.

No big deal with triple digit hour numbers. I'm pretty sure that very bike I now own has that many hours. But the exceptions would be a slew of KTM's that I had years ago...

Race a few of them every year along with a few local CRA harescrambles. The woods racing is a blast! I was at Crawfordsville and Powerline this year.

Indiana was a pretty tame course for a woods race and was awesome with so many riders on the course. Didn't quite have the results I wanted but lost my front brake on the first lap, ended up just outside of the top 300, was hoping for inside the top 150. They let us run a portion of the moto track, but nothing too big or blind. The GNCC's are very well run.

I think those comparing moto to woods racing are comparing apples to oranges. I don't think formatting moto to mimic a woods format is realistic or safe considering the much shorter tracks and jumps. These hybrid GP's are a great way to get ones feet wet into woods racing.

And Georgie, just sold my 14 YZ450F with 127 hours on it. Stock top and bottom. Just oil/filters and valve adjustments. Stick to a Yamaha, the AER and 4CS forks are trash and can't run air forks off-road as the pressure builds to insane pressures over a 2 hour period.

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

Back