New track in 2017? Maybe...

ck1racerx

PR Addict
I have looked at no less then 2 dozen properties and none of them came close to this one. It just looks like a track in waiting. Parking is the #1 concern. What is for sale is all rolling. It is surrounded by trees on 2 sides and corn fields on the others. The whole deal depends on the ability to at least rent one of the fields for parking. The pond is not big enough so another will have to be dug. Not a bad thing since I can use the dirt for the track or tracks...
The word MAYBE is a big part of this post. A lot of things have to fall into place for this to happen. So I am trying not to get ahead of myself but it is very hard to do when you walk the property. I wasn't and probably shouldn't have posted yet since its not mine but I had to share the pix. It is just so damn beautiful. The farmer that owns it has used it for hay the past 15 or so years. Again not sure if that's a good thing or bad? I assume it is because crops don't grow well on this type of terrain? I have no idea. Or maybe it is all rock and the only thing that will grow is grass??? There has to be a farmer in the crowd that can answer that?
And yes, full DETAILED business plan has been complete for a long time. IF, and that is a huge IF, this happens it will just be a practice track for the first year at minimum. Having a family that has owned and operated a race track for decades, I do know what goes into it. Have I over simplified the process in past posts? Sure. But the ideas have been solid and based on fact, not guestimations from just a racer standpoint.
I called the realtor last night and told them I wanted to dig some holes and he said "sure, take a shovel and have at it" not sure he understood my request... lol. I think his idea of a soil test is slightly different than mine.

I think I am in the dreamer stage. You know when you go buy a lotto ticket and start planning what you would do first after you win? I have already laid out 3 different tracks from satellite imaginary.. Too soon?

For sure, IF this happens, I will invite several racers from all skill levels and ages out to give some ideas on the layout. That way if it sucks I can just blame them. :rolleyes: No, really, I will seek suggestions from many people. Will they agree? Of course not. but I will ask. Maybe PitRacer members only?

When I was 4 years old, my Grandfather built a track and started having races on his property. I have wanted to do the same since then. Really cool to see the dream starting to take shape. If it doesn't happen here, it will happen somewhere.
But, it will happen here... For once in my life I am trying to think positive.
Shocking, I know. Fingers crossed.

Here is the top half of the property. Too hilly for parking?
IMG_1614.JPG
IMG_1615.JPG
IMG_1616.JPG

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
Shoals is not the greatest draining soils, which could be good or bad. Silty soils typically erode quickly, my place is epically bad at this. Its a constant fight to keep the dirt where it is. This means that you will need to devise and design some sediment traps and ways to prevent the dirt from getting too far away during rain events. Here is the soil bible for your general vicinity: http://soilandwater.ohiodnr.gov/portals/soilwater/pdf/soil/surveys/miami_supplement.pdf

another thing to look at is the Hydrologic soil group, A-B-C-D.....D doesn't drain, hardpan, A is sand or gravel. You can see it in the websoilsurvey. Click on soil explorer data explorer tab at top, then soil properties and qualities (next row of tabs below soil data explorer), then in the left pane click on soil qualities and features......tons of info. But just look for hydrologic soil group. Also look at the physical propertys, %clay, %sand, %silt, organic matter....I could go on for days.....Still this is guesswork, proof is digging.

k01

PR Elite
Surveyed the neighbors yet? Important consideration?

In the one photo the field on the other side of the fence looks similar. If that has been recently tilled, could be helpful?

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Surveyed the neighbors yet? Important consideration?

In the one photo the field on the other side of the fence looks similar. If that has been recently tilled, could be helpful?
No I have not talked to the neighbors. Not many houses around. Closest one is about 1/3 mile north of the property. This is good given the prevailing west to east wind.
I did look at the fields next to it. The one to the south had one area that I could see rocks. But it was up by the road and over 2 - 300 yards from the to-be-track area. The field to the north (between the track area and the closest house) the guy was actually on the tractor tilling when I was there. I did not see any rock but I also did not walk the field. Nothing that would raise a red flag. I am thinking about driving back up there this weekend and taking a really good look around. Just don't want to get shot.
Hindsight being 20/20, guess I should have talked to that farmer to see if he would be interested in selling or leasing some of his land for parking... duh. Blinded with visions of braking bumps dancing in my head

HUD22

PR Member
From the pics I see the ultimate grass track!!! Put a couple of putting greens and golf flags out on the property and every mx rider that ever dreamed of racing on a golf course will show up.

If you build it they will come!!!!!

GoFar

PR Member
The farmer that owns it has used it for hay the past 15 or so years. Again not sure if that's a good thing or bad? I assume it is because crops don't grow well on this type of terrain? I have no idea. Or maybe it is all rock and the only thing that will grow is grass??? There has to be a farmer in the crowd that can answer that?
Ask a farmer why another farmer puts what he does in his field? Million dollar question..
Lol
You are probably 200+ miles away from me, I wouldn't even begin to guess how deep the dirt is.
I would have it to a hay field for the reasons mentioned above. Prevent erosion, not real conducive to running big equipment on.
Row crops will grow on any terrain as long as there is dirt for them to grow on and equipment to put them there. Look all over the state of Ohio, I've seen plenty of fields that I wouldn't farm because of the slopes.

J.O. seems to have the scientific part of the soil figured out, I wouldn't know till it gets ripped and can put my hands on it. And I still wouldn't know if it's what you are looking for in a mx track, just whether or not I could farm it. Regardless it will be a challenge to keep the good dirt where you want it but it can be done if done right. J.O. definitely has some great ideas in that department as well. You may want to check with your county FSA or NRCS office to get it unenrolled in any conservation programs it may be signed up for. If you start ripping HEL land they may jump your sh**. But then you may lose your CAUV tax break, so what they are telling you taxes cost them, may cost you 2x as much. Food for thought...

My $.02 from a flatland farmer in northern Ohio.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
That's exactly what I did with my house. They came back with a NO. And that's it. Was on market for almost 2 years. Told them I would offer $2500 less each week until they agreed to sell. They sold! Lol.

Bass 67

PR Member
Not a whole lot of people wanting to buy a big piece of property so hopefully you get it under asking price so you have extra to put towards your goals! We just moved an hour and 45 minutes south and I must say we actually was offered more than asking on our house. I was going to ask one of my farmer friends about the soil, but I think you have all the info you need. Good luck!

beenridin

PR Elite
Watch gold rush? Tony Beets says drill holes drill holes drill holes. Rent a backhoe and dig everywhere, down to about 6'. This is the most effective testing I've found. On our property the soils changes drastically and quickly. Believe it or not,I have found gray clay, sand/gravel bank run, shale, and Peet bog. Right where the tracks sit is the only good damn dirt on the place.
Getting the Gold!!!

ck1racerx

PR Addict
If you need riparian border details or design I would be glad to help ; as well as leed credit offsetting.
not up on the terminology but I think riparian borders are just for rivers??? No river border on this property. Please fill me in on the details.
Now, the LEED???? no clue on what that is? I have already learned more about dirt than I ever thought I would from J.O. links (Thanks by the way, pretty interesting read) If this LEED thing is something I need to know about, point me in the right direction.