2017 Class for LL. Oh yeah!!

Oh right. Sorry. Here goes :

IMG_5487.JPG

So it is schoolboy for kids who did not make it to LL on the 50, 65, 85 and superminis in the 30 classes for them, so now the parents complain saying it is for the "transition" to the big bikes and my kid needs a class all to them self
Yeap, 250 C 12 -17 would look better on the trophy and cost MX Sports less since they are not paying for all that ink.

But it is ok because "everyone else is doing it". Or. "Those are the rules and I am just following them"

No. It's not OK. John, your son is not a C rider and you know it. Therefore YOU are supporting and have been lobbying for another sandbag class

Fast forward A few years and then we will be hearing about a Schoolboy D class that needs to be created so the new guys have a chance to make it to LL

Where does it end?

Georgie, cue the "everyone gets a championship" thingy.

I totally understand your point. Personally I would be ok if MX Sports did not have a C class at Loretta's. Is my son a C class rider if you consider the C class a true beginner class.....no. But in todays motocross world that is the exact class he belongs in. He is 13 (so he can not race a 250F), under powered in the class, came off 85's 3 years early because of size (mentally he is a 13 year old, not16). So where does a kid like that go? The kids he is racing against, most have 3 more years experience on 85s and superminis, etc.

So playing by todays rules, like it or not, I am placing him in the class where he should go. The schoolboy class at many races has some of the fastest kids at the track in that class.

For example I signed him up in the 125 class at Daytona. It is a 12+ class. Do they need this class and schoolboy 1? probably not. OMA has one schoolboy class that allows 250Fs. My opinion, schoolboy should be a 125 class, no 250Fs. Promote these kids coming off 85s onto 125s for a season or two before getting them onto 250Fs.

I get it. But we will see how you feel about it when Gunner is 12 and might have to jump off 85s early into big bikes. Like I said, until the rules change, and you look at who is running the class, skill set, age, etc....he is where he should be for now.

Schoolboy is where he belongs. Why create a new class? One already exists and has for decades.
Not that they are not already wide open but I can see the flood gates being ripped out... So this a C class for youth racing... So why not 85 12-13 limited C ? You see where I am going with this right? Soon every crazy 50 and 65 parent is going to be clambering for a C classification on those size bikes... And how can you tell them NO when you do it for schoolboy?
When my son steps up to a 125 then he will race schoolboy. That is why we have so many damn classes now. Guys talk about cutting classes and want more laps and to get home early.... BUT don't cut MY class....
Suck it up snowflake and let your son race schoolboy like the good Lord intended

He does race schoolboy! He also rides 250 C. Only reason we ride 125+ at Daytona over schoolboy is that we looked at the schedule and liked where the 125+ class was in the schedule over the schoolboy class. Listen, I am all for less classes and will find a class for him to ride in. But under the CURRENT class structure and where kids are riding, 250 C Jr. is the right class or him.

I am not arguing for another class, just following the classes that are on the books.

Can somebody tell me the difference between Schoolboy1, 125B/C, and 125C ? Are any of them a stock class (limited ) or all modified classes. Who is allowed in what class? Thanks

Schoolboy 1 (12-16) 86-125cc 2-Stroke/75-150cc 4-Stroke. Min. Wheels: Front 19"/Rear 16"

125cc (12+) 100-125ccc 2-Stroke; No Minicycle or Supermini

Both of those classes are B/C classes. Schoolboy 1 is a AMA class and allows no 250Fs. Schoolboy 2, allows 250Fs. OMA runs a straight schoolboy class that is more like schoolboy 2. There is no 125C class. But a C rider (novice rider) can run a 125 in the 250C class that is for any ages. At the national level they run a 250 C Jr. class that is the same bikes, but age limit is 12-17.

so the schoolboy 1 and the 125 B/C class are the same class ( youth classes with the same age no restictions)?
the 125 C class (not the 250 C jr) is a kid/adult class with no upper age limit and nobody that has made it to LL before all 125cc bikes?
Are all 3 classes just a bore /stroke class ( good to run pipe, reeds, port work and all that good stuff)
I have not been keeping up on the LL stuff sense we left 85s they had all the different classes with different rules.
We run the 125 class in the OMA
Thanks

so the schoolboy 1 and the 125 B/C class are the same class ( youth classes with the same age no restictions)?
the 125 C class (not the 250 C jr) is a kid/adult class with no upper age limit and nobody that has made it to LL before all 125cc bikes?
Are all 3 classes just a bore /stroke class ( good to run pipe, reeds, port work and all that good stuff)
I have not been keeping up on the LL stuff sense we left 85s they had all the different classes with different rules.
Thanks
Only difference in schoolboy 1 is you can run a supermini. There's no restriction on mods for either class other than bore/wheel size.

Thanks

Yes, all three 125 classes are a mod class. I know for a fact some guys have even run big bore kits in the Schoolboy 1. :mad: Personally I wish the 125C class was a limited class only. That class should also be 12 to 16 and make the 125 B/C class an open age class. Personally, I don't believe there should ever be a mod class for the C class.

Last edited:
I totally understand your point. Personally I would be ok if MX Sports did not have a C class at Loretta's. Is my son a C class rider if you consider the C class a true beginner class.....no. But in todays motocross world that is the exact class he belongs in. He is 13 (so he can not race a 250F), under powered in the class, came off 85's 3 years early because of size (mentally he is a 13 year old, not16). So where does a kid like that go? The kids he is racing against, most have 3 more years experience on 85s and superminis, etc.

So playing by todays rules, like it or not, I am placing him in the class where he should go. The schoolboy class at many races has some of the fastest kids at the track in that class.

For example I signed him up in the 125 class at Daytona. It is a 12+ class. Do they need this class and schoolboy 1? probably not. OMA has one schoolboy class that allows 250Fs. My opinion, schoolboy should be a 125 class, no 250Fs. Promote these kids coming off 85s onto 125s for a season or two before getting them onto 250Fs.

I get it. But we will see how you feel about it when Gunner is 12 and might have to jump off 85s early into big bikes. Like I said, until the rules change, and you look at who is running the class, skill set, age, etc....he is where he should be for now.

Spot on John! That's exactly how I feel.

Back