Should we hit the emergency button??

I find it interesting listening to Lilly talk about the cost of Motocross all the time. And he's always bringing up chasing the Loretta's dream and the cost associated with it. All are real, and nothing he is stating is false. But....I have a much different take on the sport.

I began riding at 4 years old with my dad who always rode. As a kid and a teen, I rode motocross, but BMX consumed most my time in the 80's. My parents spent thousands on BMX, and ran me all across the country racing nationals. The last few years I raced, I raced locally and raced 20 to 27 nationals a year. The last year was 27 Nationals before I took off for college. We were dedicated to it, they were committed, and it kept me out of trouble and I spent weekends with my parents. They would not change a thing.

After not racing for a year because of college I sold my current 125 and bought a new YZ 250, I was going racing again. Rode while I went to school, and then did the Lorretta's thing in 1993. Got on the gate in two classes at Loretta's, and hurt my back for the first time......but it was a very successful year.

I have raced every single year since 1988 and never missed a year. 10 years ago, my son Matthew started at 4 and has raced every year. But we keep it in reality. We race a decent amount, probably more than most on this sight, and I assure you, we don't spend $30K a year. Each year we do the Daytona SX, a couple AX, the Battle Series and race local. We always have nice, competitive bikes and gear......and maintain the bikes. If people would take a real reality check, they could participate in this sport without breaking the bank. Not everyone is going to be the next Dungey. Most know quickly if they have it.

My son plays football and basketball and is successful at both, he is 13 and 5'11 160lbs......Depending on HS maybe...MAYBE he might get some help to a small school to play one or the other, but is he ever going to be a D1 prospect.......nope. As for Motocross, he chooses it over the other two. But at the end of the day, he knows and has heard it from me and my wife that we can not afford to do all the big races he wants to do sometimes. We have a household, and two other daughters to support and raise also.

I do not finance motocross, or motocross bikes. These guys that are financing a motocross bike for 4 or 5 years are NUTS in my opinion. And all thinking they are going to be the next Champion or the OMA champ because you hit the most races........great but what did you get for it? Keep the sport in perspective. Live and ride within your means and hopefully you will enjoy the sport for as long as I have. My parents to this day still enjoy it, and you will see my dad right there at the gate with his grandson just like he was for me. And he is one hell of a mechanic too.

Just my two cents but the sport can be a great hobby for families and does not always have to be about chasing Loretta's that will usually either make people broke or burn them out to where they would rather quit and just enjoy the sport on a little smaller scale.

Last edited:
$ is an excuse but the issue ability is the problem.
If you have graphics... If any kind on your bike, $ is not the problem.

You know. It is crazy ironic that the one guy who got more butt hurt from things posted on this site then anyone else, now is asking for idea's from the same group....

The fact that ANYONE posted (including myself) proves one of two things. We all care and are willing to "help" anyone in the sport... Or, we are just simple sheep, not smart enough to know when we are being lead down the path.

I will answer my own question. Mehhh mehhhh

Or, we are just simple sheep, not smart enough to know when we are being lead down the path.

Capture.JPG

YEP to your irony comment and I waited almost 100 posts before jumping in. For me like most of us it is probably a "not smart enough" reality. BUT when I jumped in I was in the mindset of trying to make an effort at helping.

Ability and potential ability is always an issue. However ability combines with opportunity. We want to provide our kids with the opportunity to reach the potential of their ability.

With motocross and other what I'll call "parent funded non-team" sports" the child is not "cut" from the team if they lack ability. I think every kid should learn how to handle being "cut" from something but this is a topic for another conversation. It can be hard to find where to draw this line on the seriousness, opportunity, and expense for these kinds of sports.

I like the approach that John250 outlined. It puts boundaries on how serious/expensive they are going to get and still lets them compete plus have the fun of family time together. The challenge will be when your son has a string of really, really good races and the only kids beating him have taken it to the next level of equipment, coaching, training, and investment. That is where the "what ifs" start and Lilly's dilemma kicks in hard. For us it wasn't motocross - it was full contact martial arts (so we had the big safety issue too) and the expense of better coaching, international tournaments, injuries, time, fairness with our daughter, etc.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 183

You know. It is crazy ironic that the one guy who got more butt hurt from things posted on this site then anyone else, now is asking for idea's from the same group....

Tell me what you notice in this picture. This is from 2004. The sport HAS changed definitely.

IMG_5484.JPG

From far left:
Ryan edixon, (#4 Greg Hudak?) 740 me, 23 twenty three mx, 17 tommy beckett jr.

Compare this picture from then, to this pic from recent. What do you notice ??
IMG_1672.JPG

Ck don't hog all the differences let someone else have a chance.

The fact that ANYONE posted (including myself) proves one of two things. We all care and are willing to "help" anyone in the sport... Or, we are just simple sheep, not smart enough to know when we are being lead down the path.

I will answer my own question. Mehhh mehhhh

Not nearly as ironic as the same replies the sheep put forth on a yearly basis (sometimes monthly).......cue the beat the dead horse jpeg in 5....4....3...2...

The only reason I posted is because I never know when good ideas will appear, I never get up and say to myself; "Self, this is going to be a good idea day today". That's why I ask, I guess I am forever inquisitive when it comes to thinking about stuff.

Up next, class changes, and safety gear innovations (including a discussion on neck braces)........LOL. good times ahead.

Tell me what you notice in this picture. This is from 2004. The sport HAS changed definitely.

View attachment 54242

From far left:

View attachment 54243

I thought you holeshotted Alessi, what's up with those jumps out of the gate??

Is this sarcasm, I'm not sure, help me out?

View attachment 54242

From far left:

View attachment 54243

s**t isn't going to change. Nobody want to put forth the time , money and risk to try something different. Doing the same basic thing and expecting a different result is insane.

The consumer market has changed, the gncc scene has embraced the changing market and won. MX in its current form is dead.

Practice tracks are the death of MX. That venue wasn't available when MX was thriving, GNCC racing in its current form wasn't there when MX was thriving.

First pic stock graphics. On all the bikes. At most we have pre printed backgrounds from decal works. All stock wheels. Except Hudak had fancy hubs.

The new pic everyone has wheels. And graphics for starters. The consumer is making the sport more expensive......

Last edited:
As I read some and scanned most of these comments about money and racing. It's obviously alittle different if you have a family.
But in 2010 my dad told me I needed to help pay a little of my race expense. That started out with him helping me mow 2-3 yards a week. I was 10-11 years old.
That was enough to pay for the gate and sign up as smaller expenses. And since then I've grown and grown into a small mowing business and 100% for my racing expenses. In 2011 my dad helped pay for a little bit. But in 2012 I started paying 100%.
Every bit of racing expense comes from my pocket. He still helps me do a couple yards a week, and in return for his help, all he asks is I pay his way in the gate. As a senior in high school I was doing 25 yards a week this year. Now that I'm on a "work leave program" I plan on doing a lot more in 2017 before I leave for college this winter.

But, if money is tight and it's hard to raise a family and finance motocross, mowing a few yards a week is worth it Togo racing. Work hard, play hard. This is just my experience.
I've went from racing to buying my truck so I can go racing and pay for everything myself. To be honest. I like it that way, and I've created a job for myself so I don't have to work the typical teenager job.

I'm sure everyone's got a mower of some sort and a trimmer. Start small and work your way up. I now own several pieces of equipment and hve an established small mowing business Your child can assist their motocross racing which helps you save money to support a family. And before you know it. They're 100% paying for racing
And not just that, they learn the value of a dollar and begin to treat their race gear and everything else better. I take care of all my stuff bc if it's broke, I have to foot the bill.

Last edited:
It's not broken every where... Open practices are killing the entry's. Jeremy gives you the same great track on open ride days as race days.
Personally I think GP or JDay type of races are the answer. I heard over a long weekend this past summer
Fast Traxx had 800(gp,sx,gp,gp) entries.

Back