Should we hit the emergency button??

difference in the pix is graphics. For some reason now everyone feels like stickers make you better... fyi... they don't. All you are doing is advertising for some company that makes a crap ton more money then you do. Graphics are the goofiest thing I have seen in this sport in a long time.
Not to mention (but I guess I am) no one can read the graphics with the 4000 different colors on those shrouds.
What happened to the rule of NOTHING on the number plates but your number? Those things are a scorers nightmare.

First pic stock graphics. On all the bikes. At most we have pre printed backgrounds from decal works. All stock wheels. Except Hudak had fancy hubs.

The new pic everyone has wheels. And graphics for starters. The consumer is making the sport more expensive......

That's a problem I mentioned at the beginning of the thread. It's a " precived expensive" thing.

If we had cheap brand new bikes, nobody would buy. They say they would, but they don't.

We had a shop till about 10 years ago. Kids want a GXSR 1000. Not a 500. If they don't qualify for the 1000, they get nothing.

Same way with quads. We had cheap 250 and 300's. 10 years ago. Back in 1988, a 300 was BIG! 10 years ago, if the guy had bad credit and didn't pay his mortgage, all he could get was a 300. He would pass and buy nothing since it wasn't bigger and badder than his camp hunting buddie's quad.

The MX community thinks they need a 50K truck to pull a 40K toy hauler and then go race. No wonder you think it's expensive.

BTW, we have inexpensive bikes. They are used bikes. Next time you hear your buddy talk about building bikes for $4K, you think he would buy one without disk brakes front and rear, water cooling, the latest greatest suspension and FI? Na, he wouldn't unless he wanted a CRF150.

My rig is a used service van I bought from the electrical contractor I work for. Paid $1 for it and it has brand new tires and the trans was recently replaced. Looks like s**t but gets me to all my races. Cost is an excuse.

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

difference in the pix is graphics. For some reason now everyone feels like stickers make you better... fyi... they don't. All you are doing is advertising for some company that makes a crap ton more money then you do. Graphics are the goofiest thing I have seen in this sport in a long time.
Not to mention (but I guess I am) no one can read the graphics with the 4000 different colors on those shrouds.
What happened to the rule of NOTHING on the number plates but your number? Those things are a scorers nightmare.

I never questioned they graphics, makes the bikes look cool, and what not. But.......when you buy a brand new $8000 or $9000 bike, and then the first thing you do is buy hubs, rims, colored radiator hoses......$1000 pipe, its like what the hell? Those things all come with the bike! And no one racing locally can ride so great that any of those things need changed before you even turn a lap on the bike. Many of these people are racing the C class.

Actually my wife and I agreed not to get him into motocross... not worth it... it's a money pit, you destroy your body for no reason... I'm not taking the chance of him ending up in a wheel chair or dead. I'm gonna build him a dirt jumper and him and I will shred rays mtb park. That's good enough for me nowadays

Have you seen the kids in the rhythm room at Ray's? Saw one carted off a couple days ago. If your objective is to keep him out of a chair, there's better choices.

Note our choice was let him race and do Ray's and whatever other crazy thing comes into his head
so I'm not criticizing your choice really. Just that Ray's is only marginally safer, if at all, than MX.

bubblewrap suit.jpg

Agreed. People can get hurt in any sport. Football, baseball, basketball. There is no way to wrap a kid in bubble wrap.

I never questioned they graphics, makes the bikes look cool, and what not. But.......when you buy a brand new $8000 or $9000 bike, and then the first thing you do is buy hubs, rims, colored radiator hoses......$1000 pipe, its like what the hell? Those things all come with the bike! And no one racing locally can ride so great that any of those things need changed before you even turn a lap on the bike. Many of these people are racing the C class.

Yea, then turn around and bitch about a $25 membership, or the fact that its good for the season, and not pro-rated from the time of purchase!!!!

i'll bite.. because everyone loves to comment about me on that subject lol! I do it..cuz i can! And because im smart about it. I get products cheap enough that most times I can pull them off a bike that I've used parts on, sell the used parts, and buy the new ones for what I sold the used ones for.. everybody knows you dont make any extra $ by leaving that crap on the bike when you sell it. i find it easier to sell a clean stock bike anyhow

so, thats why i do it, because i can, because its not rocket science. now if it came down to bitching about having $ to go ride, or having bling on the bike, i would be on a stock bike but at the track.

with that said my 17 has almost 19 hours on it and NO exhaust yet..lol!

WE ride/race for fun.....The kid likes the graphics....so what.

Crute not talking about your or anyone that can. Talking about the ones that complain its too much to race.

WE ride/race for fun.....The kid likes the graphics....so what.
Point is, people bitch and moan about $ then blow $200 on stickers. Yes, SOME make the bike look somewhat "finished". Kids like them and that is great. But I don't know why 99% of the riders feel like they have to have them.
But im just a grumpy old man who had to "act nice" through the holidays so I have some angst issues I have to work through. This topic is helping.

How are people that have exhausts, stickers, and a nice pickup truck getting blamed for not helping. Sheesh. And I'm not sure I've ever heard someone say they don't race cuz it's expensive. I have heard racing is just a waste of time from just about everyone i know. Is they're any places that have 2 tracks or a trail loop that you could ride while waiting for your moto?

Point is......With what people do to their bikes, $500 boots, $600 helmets, $400 gear, cost is not the reason for not racing. They bitch about $25 for a OMA card (you get $10 back), $25 registration (you get $10 back), then pull up in a lifted truck with wheels and tires, drinking a $4 monster energy or starbucks, wearing $180 Oakleys. Money is not the reason they don't race, just the excuse they use.

I've been reading these posts, year after year. I really don't understand all the complaints about being at the track all day. You are there to be part of the scene, to be part of the action. Me and my son have been involved in the local Motocross scene for several years. Okay I understand more seat time, I get that. When we go to the track, its not just about us. We have friends that race different classes and friends of friends. So it's not just about us, it's about the time we are there.
How to bring new riders in: I really liked the approach that Dano had. Have a Expo of new riders, with a small clinic. Then a show case, at one of the big races. With them as part of the big show. Ask around for help, I'm pretty sure that you would get the backing and support you need. That there is the grassroots of our local scene. Just saying.

I agree with you Rowe. People are different today with a short time span. We know people that flat track. They would show up to the track in the morning. Practice in the afternoon. Timed qualifying, heats and then heats and mains during the night show. Definitely at the track longer than a motocross.

Back