Scenic Highlands...

You guys say that place was rough with rocks, evidently they never used the rock picker that was sitting in the weeds lol

Wow. I never rode there in all the years. But man, if someone looked at that rocky ass soil, they would laugh and say no way I am putting a track here.

You guys say that place was rough with rocks, evidently they never used the rock picker that was sitting in the weeds lol

I remember them using the picker and it would be good for a couple rides. Then the disc would just bring more rock to the top. I think the place was strip mined years ago. So basically neverending battle with the rocks. Place was real good first couple years, then pretty terrible the last years. Didn't someone on here come close to losing an eye there?

The root of the problem is that the land is reclaimed mine land, or least that's the story. Given that, the company that was in charge of restoring it only needed to place 12" of topsoil. All of that is now in the pond, or worse, gone off the site. You are talking about draining a pond, mucking it out with a serious set of dozers, probably D8s. Possibly a large excavator at some point in there. Spreading out material for a few months to dry, then either scraping it back up, loading it in trucks, or using scrapers to get it back on the track. It might be cheaper to just haul in new dirt.

I never got to ride there, but the rocks make that property a lost cause for MX. There is nothing better than a motocross track on a hillside though. Kind of reminds me of 330, which is also tragically gone. Would be sweet to have some tracks in Ohio with actual elevation change that is properly used (off-cambers).

I've got some decent photos from riding Scenic as well.
Liked the track a lot.

I also recall that Rupert got a photo shot of a riding gear track banner hanging on a fence, with one of the sweeping turns winding around behind it, and the photo showed up as an advertisement in Motocross Action Magazine, giving the photo credit to RupertX. I don't recall the gear brand, but I know that I still have the magazine. Thought that was pretty cool at the time. I was taking a lot of MX photos back then and immediately recognized the track in the photo.

If I can get some free time I'll dig and see what I got in pic's and video.

Wow... They didn't even remove the starting gate.

Back