Sometimes 2nd place can win a championship.

I know Eli is whipping the 450 class like your Mom did you when you broke her favorite Disney figurine when you were a kid, But to see Dungey go from near last place at the start, to 2nd place all the while getting smacked around by almost the entire field, I thought was quite impressive. Eli may be faster but Dungey knows how to win a Championship.

Dungey never seems to over ride, and is the most consistent rider on the track. That is why he is a Champion. In the last three year how many fast laps did Bubba throw down, and how many heat races did he win......and how many Championships did he win? Dungey knows how to win when it counts.

Yea I thought it was impressive how Dunge came through the field too. Shows he wants another one. Last week it was the opposite with Eli chasing him down. Makes for good racing. Yes I agree it would be better to have more winners but still fun to watch. I'll be in Indy, hope it's a good race like last year. Tickle had a good run too. Glad to see him on the podium. Anderson and Seely are killing my fantasy picks. Moosecan was sick with the flu they said. Must have been a tough night for him but still got some points. Glad to see Bagget and Milsaps in the top few. Bagget did a nice face plant, glad he's ok.

Dungey is a polished champion. It's absurd to think that anyone else will win this title. Same goes for outdoors. He's so smart and STILL, people don't want to give him credit for that. As Chad Reed has said over and over again, "you gotta be in it to win it".

Funny how everyone always says Dungey is not the fastest rider. But yet they always line up behind the same gate, and after 17 races he has the most points. So he is the fastest rider over the course of the season for sure.

And to the guys that talk crap about Dungey away from the track. Man, I've seen him interviewed a lot away from the track at home, etc. seems to be a pretty genuine guy. I am sure he gets tired of some people hounding him at times, just like anyone would.

This is a MUCH smaller example for sure. But being on City Council, I would have people stop me in Lowes, Kroger or walk up to my table at a restaurant in the city and start talking to me about city issues, or their issue with the city. 20 or 30 minutes later, when my wife and kids are waiting, or your food shows up at the table and they are still talking, your like hey....I have to run. So I can only imagine how a guy like Dungey, Reed, Bubba, etc. might have people hounding them in public.

A bomb could go off in any of those stadiums and dungey would walk out without a scratch on him With everyone else dead he wins the championship again. Imagine that!

Im sorry but this is all Dungey has, its NOT riding smart! Lmfao. You will all be eating your words when Tomac, a FAR superior rider, comes from behind and uses race WINS to win the championship. Its what racers do, they WIN races. You Cryin Grungey ball sack swingers crack me up, its like trying to talk to a liberal.

I can hear DeCoster right now..... Go out and get a 2nd or 3rd place, 4th is OK too!!! Thats how you win the championship! ......

SAID NO TEAM MANAGER EVER

I'm a huge fan of both Tomac and Dungey but when it comes to this debate I have to look at the number of championships Dungey has and how many Tomac has. If I had to put money down on who's gonna win the 2017 SX championship, I'd go with Dungey. Tomac has shown great speed in the past but not the consistency needed for a championship. Speed, consistency and riding smart has been Dungey's strength.

Dungey
RC

Tomac
Roczen
JS7

One of those groups have achieved the optimal speed/level it takes to win multiple championships with ease. Another one of those groups have achieved the optimal speed/level it takes to lead championships, get dnf's, and land on their heads. No one is arguing that Dungey is faster. He's not. He can be, but he's not. He's also not going out there to get 4th on purpose. However, when he gets buried off the start, he doesn't ride over his head. He's polished. He's calculated. He very rarely takes risks. That's why he's a multi-time champion in this sport, along with his exceptional corner speed that everyone forgets about. Eli may get lucky here and there. He may even get lucky for an entire series (Roczen '14 and '16 outdoors). All of that said, Dungey is still the clear-cut favorite. Not to mention he is the points leader after 10 rounds.

Im sorry but this is all Dungey has, its NOT riding smart! Lmfao. You will all be eating your words when Tomac, a FAR superior rider, comes from behind and uses race WINS to win the championship. Its what racers do, they WIN races. You Cryin Grungey ball sack swingers crack me up, its like trying to talk to a liberal.

I can hear DeCoster right now..... Go out and get a 2nd or 3rd place, 4th is OK too!!! Thats how you win the championship! ......

SAID NO TEAM MANAGER EVER
You are such a dick. Would you feel better if I gave you my Dungey and DeCoster signed number plate?
Did you lose your blankey, shnookems?

Idk about you guys but dungey put on a championship winning performance at Daytona. That being said, Tomac showed he has the patience (stalking Martin) to win a championship. Can't wait for the next round and hope they come out 1-2 in the holeshot of the main!

Ok, lets talk consistency and speed. The last 7 rounds CG (cryin grungey) has posted 1 win, 2 seconds, 2 thirds and 2 fourth place finishes. Tomac has 5 wins, one second and one mechanical DNF for 6 points that was out of his control.

Overall add 2 seconds and a win for CG and a 5,6,8 for Tomac. I understand mechanicals are part of racing and not arguing that Tomac should be closer. But mechanicals dont count against a riders speed and consistency per se. Looking at the numbers minus the mechanical, Tomac is a superior rider in those categories.

My money is on Tomac for the title for that reason alone, not for my thoughts on him as a person. I still admire him as a rider contrary to what you all think. He is with out a doubt one of the greats. But had he raced at a time when Reed was in his prime, JS7 was , MC and RC, we wouldnt be having this conversation.

how much money we talkin' here?

But had he raced at a time when Reed was in his prime, JS7 was , MC and RC, we wouldnt be having this conversation.

This is everyone's go-to argument regarding Dungey. If they would do a chase format for supercross Dungey would never win a championship. That's basically what you're saying.

If the series is 17 races long, and you have the most points at the end of the series. You're the fastest guy. The stats will show it as well. You'll have the least amount of clocked-race time on the track. And you'll have the least amount of off-track injured time. So no matter how much you want the Hare to win.....that Tortoise crossed the line first.

Back