Qualifier question

Just had a question to all of you. Have any of you ever had a Moto cancelled (for no reason, weather etc) at a LL Qualifier? My son was at BC this past weekend and the last Moto of the day 125 B/C class was cancelled. They said it was a unanimous decision by the riders but there were three riders that wanted to ride including my son. We contacted the AMA and I guess an official can cancel if they want. I mean we paid $50 just like everyone else to race to qualify and it was the last moto. Just wondered what some of you guys thought about this.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Just had a question to all of you. Have any of you ever had a Moto cancelled (for no reason, weather etc) at a LL Qualifier? My son was at BC this past weekend and the last Moto of the day 125 B/C class was cancelled. They said it was a unanimous decision by the riders but there were three riders that wanted to ride including my son. We contacted the AMA and I guess an official can cancel if they want. I mean we paid $50 just like everyone else to race to qualify and it was the last moto. Just wondered what some of you guys thought about this.

My opinion is not worth $.50, but I think it's total BS.

For the record, I was not at the line or staging, So what I know is second hand accounts by staging and the referee. Due to the conditions after the second downpour, lightning, hail and high winds, we gave the last three motos the option of voting to run or take their first moto scores. In hindsight we should have never let them vote. (25+ and 40+ did run their moto)

Adam (the ref) took each kids vote 1 by 1, in confidence, meaning not in a big group where they could be pressured or influenced. So privately each kid voted no. There were roughly 11-13 kids, age 12-16, that ultimately voted no. 2-3 waivered and said "I'm good with whatever the group decides". The Adam asked them again what they wanted to do, because everyone had to vote yes or no. On the second response it was No from the 2-3 wavering. All it would have taken was 1 solid yes, and the moto would have happened.

We had riders concerned about the track, so we thought why not give the riders a chance to have a say, I mean if 11-13 kids all vote no, how do argue with that?? I can tell you this for certain. That is the last time riders will get a voice in this type of thing. Next time it will be line up or go to the trailer.

I understand about being concerned about the track, but this was a QUALIFIER if you're that concerned don't run. The option to cancel motos shouldn't be given unless weather or something major. Would regionals or Loretta's cancel because the track was muddy due to rain just because some of the riders were worried about running?

My daughter was at the line with my son and they did not vote 1 by 1. By the time he and the boy from Marietta reached the group to vote the others were heading back to their trailers. My son and husband made a resource ding yes but was too late.

Multiple area qualifiers per region... Handful of regions... There's plenty of other opportunities to have qualified...
ANY race, big or small has the chance of cancellation due to rain, often times without the option to vote...
I'll always aire on the side of the track owner and event promoter as many know, as they run the risk of losing a lot of money in their investment and put in much harder work and longer hours than most imagine. However, this seems as if it's a no brainier. Apologies to you and yours whom didn't get to ride a ruined track in severe weather. Better luck and planning next time.
No such thing as a bad / wrong opinion. But that is both bad and wrong. Saying you had other options to qualify is just stupid.
So a couple more moto's would have ruined the track? I think not. Of course weather can happen but if a race is started then it should not be stopped unless lightning in the area. I was not there and ofcourse don't know the whole story but asking riders if they want to race or not because of mud is not the correct answer. As J.O. Said. No more asking again. lightning it's done. Muddy, game on.

For the record, I was not at the line or staging, So what I know is second hand accounts by staging and the referee. Due to the conditions after the second downpour, lightning, hail and high winds, we gave the last three motos the option of voting to run or take their first moto scores. In hindsight we should have never let them vote. (25+ and 40+ did run their moto)

Adam (the ref) took each kids vote 1 by 1, in confidence, meaning not in a big group where they could be pressured or influenced. So privately each kid voted no. There were roughly 11-13 kids, age 12-16, that ultimately voted no. 2-3 waivered and said "I'm good with whatever the group decides". The Adam asked them again what they wanted to do, because everyone had to vote yes or no. On the second response it was No from the 2-3 wavering. All it would have taken was 1 solid yes, and the moto would have happened.

We had riders concerned about the track, so we thought why not give the riders a chance to have a say, I mean if 11-13 kids all vote no, how do argue with that?? I can tell you this for certain. That is the last time riders will get a voice in this type of thing. Next time it will be line up or go to the trailer.
Make em draw spoons next year. I've seen that bs before. Usually factory kawi kids pull the top 7 spoons anyway. Weird how that happens haha.

I understand about being concerned about the track, but this was a QUALIFIER if you're that concerned don't run. The option to cancel motos shouldn't be given unless weather or something major. Would regionals or Loretta's cancel because the track was muddy due to rain just because some of the riders were worried about running?

Was at Pleasure Valley regional in 2003 and they canceled all of the 3rd set of motos because of mud/running out of time. So, yes, a regional will cancel motos if they have too.

Was at Pleasure Valley regional in 2003 and they canceled all of the 3rd set of motos because of mud/running out of time. So, yes, a regional will cancel motos if they have too.
I was there to. Got hosed. (I was at pleasure valley in 04)

Last edited:
Georgie were u at BC? We called the AMA and talked to Kip Bigalow. My husband didn't know who else wanted to race that day by name but if u called too maybe they might care, maybe not. Who knows but just in case 614-856-1900 ext 1345.

Yes, it's not the first time it been done and it won't be the last .
Is this about the money or do you think your rider would have improved his score if the second set was run?

Georgie were u at BC? We called the AMA and talked to Kip Bigalow. My husband didn't know who else wanted to race that day by name but if u called too maybe they might care, maybe not. Who knows but just in case 614-856-1900 ext 1345.

Georgie was not at Briarcliff, he's talking about something that happened 14 years ago at a different race track.

Red Bud cancelled the 3rd set of motos at the regional in 1993 because of rain and mud.

I was curious about this topic as well(I ran in the last 25+ moto).
I wasn't sure if it had to be a unanimous decision or not for that last moto not to be run. All it should take is one guy to line up and race, if everyone else wants to DNS then that's on them. That one guy would also take the overall for the day regardless of his moto1 score.
However I don't know who said what, or how it was handled anyways, was just curious that no one wanted to race to nab a qualifying position that may have had a crap moto 1 finish.

I would of voted to race. One guy says race, everyone races. Muahahahah. I pray for rain and mud at qualifiers and regionals. Always have. Always will.

Now I just need to finish school so I can get into vet racing life.

Back