It's Regional Time!

John250

PR Founding Father
How about you Johnny 250....where did you race local this weekend?
Unfortunately no where. Only places racing local for me were both over 3 hours away, and was not making that trip two weeks in a row.

The local racing schedule this year is actually very sad. This time last year we had raced probably 8 races. This year one. Due to the fact the raceohiomx, and the OMA really had only a couple races this spring. Last year we had quite a few to race. I do support the local race scene, probably more so that 90% of the posters on pitracer. So blow your smoke some where else, I am the guy supporting my local promoters on race day with a couple hundred bucks.

As far as Daytona, I bring it up because people were talking about the cost of racing and MX Sports. It is the one of the few MX Sports events we ride every year. So just bringing up the facts that they continue to jack up the prices on little things every year. No complaints on the track, program or facility though, all top notch. But cost escalate. Just as you ride regionals for the experience, I do the same for Daytona.

How many local races did you support last year?

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
Unfortunately no where. Only places racing local for me were both over 3 hours away, and was not making that trip two weeks in a row.
Oh - I see.
By the way, I drove 5.5 hrs (right through Xeina ) to go to Ironman

The local racing schedule this year is actually very sad. This time last year we had raced probably 8 races. This year one. Due to the fact the raceohiomx, and the OMA really had only a couple races this spring.
No way....That must be because of those pesky LL chasers - right?

I do support the local race scene, probably more so that 90% of the posters on pitracer.
Top 10% - look at you ! How you getting those numbers?

So blow your smoke some where else, I am the guy supporting my local promoters on race day with a couple hundred bucks.
??? - ok - You're the one blowing smoke about local racing in a LL Regional post.

As far as Daytona, I bring it up because people were talking about the cost of racing and MX Sports.
Right -! and most said Ironman was a deal.

It is the one of the few MX Sports events we ride every year. So just bringing up the facts that they continue to jack up the prices on little things every year. No complaints on the track, program or facility though, all top notch. But cost escalate.
Do you expect the cost to go down with each passing year? Why would that be?

How many local races did you support last year?
That's irrelevant to this conversation .... because I'm not the one on a soapbox proclaiming MX Sports & LL is the reason local MX is not what you expect it to be.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
I have been to 1 local race this year. Which is 100% more than several people that rode the regional. I would have been to more but our local events dont start for a couple more weeks. Which i will race all of them God willing. I will save a parking spot in the pits for you.
You could make about $200 a week back in the stone age at a national. Which is not much but since my mother was a scorer I raced for free so the money i did win paid all of my costs. You know, back when bikes sold for $47.50, helmets were 5 bucks and a coke cost a nickle. Right? BUT i only hit a few nationals per year.(all the close stuff) the rest of the weekends i was supporting local stuff.
So to the people that went for fun. Real questions. How high do the cost have to go before you say your not going?
Do they still do a tech inspection at the regional?
Do any of the factories still send support trucks?

KX514

PR Member
I still can't understand why you people think that it is the responsibility of the consumer to "support" local races. It's the consumers responsibility to spend his/her money whatever way he/she pleases. This is not rocket science. But because it doesn't support your agenda, it can't be true. Hmm....[emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
I have been to 1 local race this year. Which is 100% more than several people that rode the regional.
....Yep your one entry at Malvern has kept them afloat all these years ....Thank you for that!!

I would have been to more but our local events dont start for a couple more weeks.
Sure - and the guys that have been racing after the LL areas should have just stayed home waiting for the local scene to start up - right?

Lotts24

PR Elite
I have been to 1 local race this year. Which is 100% more than several people that rode the regional. I would have been to more but our local events dont start for a couple more weeks. Which i will race all of them God willing. I will save a parking spot in the pits for you.
You could make about $200 a week back in the stone age at a national. Which is not much but since my mother was a scorer I raced for free so the money i did win paid all of my costs. You know, back when bikes sold for $47.50, helmets were 5 bucks and a coke cost a nickle. Right? BUT i only hit a few nationals per year.(all the close stuff) the rest of the weekends i was supporting local stuff.
So to the people that went for fun. Real questions. How high do the cost have to go before you say your not going?
Do they still do a tech inspection at the regional?
Do any of the factories still send support trucks?

I mean in all reality dont we all just race for fun. Last time i checked a ticket to lorettas doesnt come with a pay check. And the number of riders that leaves there signing a contract is very minimal and at that the window of people making a living riding dirtbikes is a small percentage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
I
So actually you didn't "Support" local racing at all...At that time you were involved in an effort to make money from gate fillers.....

Vet261

PR Addict
North East Amateur (Pleasure Valley) - 811 entries

North Central Amateur (Millville) - 784 entries

Mid East Youth (Chillitown) - 896 entries

South West Amateur + Youth (Pala) - 524 entries

handracing

PR Founding Father
I mean in all reality dont we all just race for fun. Last time i checked a ticket to lorettas doesnt come with a pay check. And the number of riders that leaves there signing a contract is very minimal and at that the window of people making a living riding dirtbikes is a small percentage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly Kelly!
The way I see it how many people can say they got to spend the whole weekend with their 17 and 18 year old??? Yea, we love doing it but in reality, it's about spending time with our family and friends!

stumpy823

PR Member
I am a slow old vet guy and I do a few local races. But I did an area qualifier this year beacause I love the bigger race atmosphere. Now I'll spend a lot of money and an 8 hour drive to do the regional this weekend at Pleasure Valley just to get my butt kicked but I'll enjoy every minute of it who knows when the last time you will get to do a big event. So who cares what it cost just enjoy the ride.

honda907

PR Addict
Fosnock is an Badd Ass!! He sure kept Grewe on his toes all weekend. Who is he? Got any background on him?

How about the moto with Rocket working his way past 4-5 guys in the last lap...great stuff.

Do you ever post up any of the photo's you take? if so...where may we see them.

Fosnock showed up in '89 in an old Chevy pickup truck from 1976 or so and a enclosed trailer made of plywood. He passed us on I 81 somewhere in Tenn. and I laughed to my brother, jokingly, that that dude was going to Loretta's. The trailer was coming apart. I was joking big time for 30 minutes that that guy, if he was going to Loretta's, hasn't a clue. What a hillbilly!

Well, we happened to stop at the same gas station and struck up a conversation. He was about 17, same age as my youngest brother. We went in the dinner and we sat and ate together. He just got out of Juvy jail 8 months prior.

Anyhow, he was fast as s**t on those stock bikes. He didn't have gloves for the first two motos, but the next day he had 2 sets of NEW FOX gear. He was taken care of. He went to Puerto Rico and/or the Dominican republic to race ( I don't remember correctly ). Won a couple of championships. I called him shortly before Thanksgiving in '89. He was having the time of his life and looked to make a mark in MX. He had a trip to Brazillian championships lined up. He was very talented rider and naturally strong . He came home and got in trouble big time. I never heard from him again.

Glad he turned around. That's a tough one to do, since most just mess up again. Kinda like heroine.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
I think he was forced to turn around in the slammer. He did his time, now he can enjoy moto again. one of the few that maybe actually get "Rehabilitated."

Woulda been cool to see him ride this weekend.

bruceb

PR Addict
fos.jpg
Fosnock showed up in '89 in an old Chevy pickup truck from 1976 or so and a enclosed trailer made of plywood. He passed us on I 81 somewhere in Tenn. and I laughed to my brother, jokingly, that that dude was going to Loretta's. The trailer was coming apart. I was joking big time for 30 minutes that that guy, if he was going to Loretta's, hasn't a clue. What a hillbilly!

Looks like he has a newer pickup and ditched the trailer. I wonder if the reaction will be similar again this year if he shows up at Loretta's with 2 bikes and everything else stuffed in the bed of a pickup.
bruce

Last edited by a moderator:

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Alright, I think I got it. So its more of a participation "trophy" than an actual attent to win a race...
Do you all sit around and eat orange slices and brush each other hair also?
If it's about spending time with the family then ok, that's cool. But you can do that anywhere.
And apparently it not all about quality time with the fam at the good ole races for a lot of racers because by the third moto's most of the classes when off the game with 25 or so riders.

honda907

PR Addict
Ck1, I'm with you. I don't get it either, but that's what they want. After not going for 28 years to LL's, I decided to do a qualifier and go this year. Too me, it was everything wrong with racing. 3 red cross flags in the plus 50 class and I was down both motos in those medlies with half the field each time. 50 plus gong on 15 in my book. Got 2nd and haven't raced again. Not doing a regional at PVR. My brother bagged the weekend too after winning his area . Racing to us is more than winning and being the best, in my book anyhow...

Doing dual sport riding at the National Dual Sport this weekend and a ACR grass track race. Both are low key. One gets about 1000 riders, the other about 400

I find the riders and people at these events for LL's snooty in their taj majal motor homes. They have lots of time and money invested and choose these events. They don't go like Fosnock in a truck with everything packed on a bed. Hell, they don't go and camp at the National at Hi-Point or Unidilla anymore. They don't even go to the Pro races anymore. I remember when Unifuckindilla was the place to be ALL weekend, anyhow............

I find it ironic that people bag on you for supporting local racing. I see their side, but they don't see your side. The sport will die as we know it if there isn't grass roots racing........

Last edited:

Double D

PR Founding Father
It's more fun to spend time with your kids racing then camping and making s'mores at a state campground.

So everyone that lines up at a race should want to be a national AMA champion? We can't just go race to have fun and to get some sort of exercise?

honda907

PR Addict
It's more fun to spend time with your kids racing then camping and making s'mores at a state campground.

So everyone that lines up at a race should want to be a national AMA champion? We can't just go race to have fun and to get some sort of exercise?

If you can't do that locally, I guess you need to fill up your RV and drive 5 hours.

stumpy823

PR Member
We do it locally to but sometimes you want to hit a big event. Don't understand your guy gripe people work hard for their money and can choose how they spend it. My kids are grown so they don't go anymore it's me my wife and my 2 dogs camping at least 3 weekends a month at a track. I'm the big kid now get to do what I want and have a blast doing it. That's all it's supposed to be about locally a lot of times I'm top 5 so what's wrong with racing 40 guys and trying for top 10-15. Just don't get all the negativity.