2018 Local Moto Changes

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Its that wonderful time of the year again. We get to start guessing and attempting to plan for next year. Most of us are all on a sugar high from what I would call the best single race of the year at CTMX, but we can not forget about the rest of the year. Some things need to change, and with PitRacer being about the only place for the riders... I should say, RACERS to voice there wishes. Lets start the discussion.
1. Everyone should know what I am going to say first... WAY too many classes. We have seen low numbers in several classes all year across the acronym board. Added downside, when there are a lot in every class, Like this weekend, then we run out of time in the day to run them all. Of course all the "extra" classes have to go first. I like watching the kids but the PW class needs to go away also. 50Jr and Sr is enough. ONE schoolboy class. 15+, 25+, 35+, 45+. How about 1 A class, 1 B class? Forget the D thing. Inforce the advancement rules.... wait I am getting off topic... Just reduce the number of classes.
2. Sorry quadrupeds, but those have to go. Even in the big races there are not enough to justify the existence. Maybe 2 classes, youth and adult... If they are going to stay.
3. Multiple sanctioning organizations. If we are going to keep this crap then at least make an option of "limited" don't keep my points, I don't care. No I am not going to the awards thingy so I don't want to pay for that. AMA should be enough. (I personally would like to see that abolished as well)
4. Transponders / RFID. If an organization is going to use one of them, then all of the tracks MUST use it. This $25 rent for each time is a ripoff. Buying one is also a ripoff considering you paying $200 for a beeper I had in 1997. I say RFID. Its proven and cheap.
5. Electronic signup. We all have computers and or a phone. Signup before you get there. Pay with a credit card. Racers arrive at the track, walk to sign-up, sign the release, grab a practice sticker, DONE.
6. Pay $ to the vet classes. None of us want a trophy. I don't care if its 50% payback.

Anyway, others please add to the list or blow mine up. I do know several track owners / promoters read these things so lets try to give actual feedback.

Oh yeah, when are the 2018 schedules coming out?
Good job this year promoters. At least to the tracks I went to this year.

Our last season racing for local points was 2008 and seems like the same things then as now. To many classes, not enough track time.

2,5 and 6 should be at the top of every promotors discussion for 2018. All really valid points.

Does there really need to be a race every single weekend?

Okay I'll play. I try to be as active as I can on here giving credit where it's due and throwing in my .02. This is my first full year back racing and riding since 2003 (I was still on a 65 the last time I raced) So I came into this season completely unbiased with no real expectations. So here's what I can say about my season and what I plan for next season.....

1.) More GP's/Moto X Country (EROC Sanctioned) - EROC puts on an amazing show, cheap transponders and great tracks to race. I'd race these once or twice a month without a doubt anywhere in OH, these races are fun and pool from two crowds (woods guys and moto). Also gives newcomers (or those returning to moto) a series to ride, not crazy competitive, just fun, quick and most seat time for your money. Maybe we can get a couple southern OH tracks in contact with EROC? Oh and If you haven't raced one come to beans on November 5 you won't regret it.

2.) Less classes - I really don't think there would be a meltdown if we did some serious class slashing. I love being at the track, I love racing but I don't love spending the whole day at the track watching 3 people in a class make 4 laps. Plus nobody wants to race a class with 3 people. EROC Class list is great if you ask me. Night races should really use the EROC classes. Love night races but I don't want to sit around all night, wish more tracks would hold night shows too.

3.) Where's the hype for the battle series? - Michigan state championship gets all kinds of hype. Big name photographers (motoplayground, evergood etc.), huge industry sponsors , tons of social media coverage, pro's there giving facetime, blah blah blah. I say try and market the battle series way harder next year. Every round should be as hyped as chillitown. Promoters have contacts and I think the battle series is where you need to call in favors. I'd want to go to a battle race and feel like I'm about to race a national.

4.) Schedule - I'm going to say less is more on the schedule, less events, higher quality events. Try to miss big dates too like Redbud Vetfest and High Point DC Homecoming etc.

All of these can fall on the riders shoulders too. Do your part, support local companies as much as you can and go race once in awhile! Tracks - Take some tips out of MX Express's playbook they have some cool races (eudrocross, 2 stroke shootout, C shootout etc) It's a bummer that some of the greatest tracks in Ohio aren't on board with the whole racing scene. Beans is the closest thing to a professional racing facility as you could find but doesn't get nearly the support it should. The track prep is perfect....Every single time! I've never been to beans and left feeling robbed. BJ made the best dirt for motocross and years of hard work make for an epic track. Elevation change? got it. Jumps? got it. Safe jumps? got it. Sand? got it. Ruts? got it. Hard pack? got it. Vet friendly? for sure. A rider friendly? without a doubt. Then YMX, exact same story, one of the best facilities in Ohio that isn't involved in racing. I have no answer on why or how this is. I don't think it's time to raise the white flag on Ohio MX/racing yet, it's not broken. Racers need to quit whining so much too, remember that racing motocross is FUN,in fact, its the most fun you can have in your life. That being said......online sign up like CK said is good for all - do that more. Transponders - please find a way to make them work I would rather buy at a good price than rent. Lastly I don't know how much longer we should hold on to quad classes at local events. TV Land did the no quad thing this year and I got to have two practices, two motos and loaded up by 3:30 with a whip contest at intermission. Sorry quad guys it's a numbers game. I agree with the guys above, I don't think most people want to race every weekend, but they still want to go race and want a good time for their money.

The Buckeye Series is working on next years schedules and streamlining classes, we hope to have everything firmed up by our banquet in December. Now the more track time debate, the pros at East Forks Midwest shootout stayed the same from lap 6 to lap 10 in the first moto, and requested the second moto to be shortened to 6. The amateurs are typically the same position from lap 2 or3 to lap 4 with little to no change in position. From what I personally see the longer a average rider is on the track there tends to be a few more mistakes and or accidents as the result of longer motos. This is different from a national event rider that may attend Baja Brawl, Mini O's, Millcreek, Ect. where the top level riders are more conditioned to run 4 laps at full speed, these events typically have the average riders mid pack after two of the four laps, this most of us locally. . This is my 2 cents and not of any promoter or event, and most will not agree but this is what I have witnessed at these events.
Rick

The Buckeye Series is working on next years schedules and streamlining classes, we hope to have everything firmed up by our banquet in December. Now the more track time debate, the pros at East Forks Midwest shootout stayed the same from lap 6 to lap 10 in the first moto, and requested the second moto to be shortened to 6. The amateurs are typically the same position from lap 2 or3 to lap 4 with little to no change in position. From what I personally see the longer a average rider is on the track there tends to be a few more mistakes and or accidents as the result of longer motos. This is different from a national event rider that may attend Baja Brawl, Mini O's, Millcreek, Ect. where the top level riders are more conditioned to run 4 laps at full speed, these events typically have the average riders mid pack after two of the four laps, this most of us locally. . This is my 2 cents and not of any promoter or event, and most will not agree but this is what I have witnessed at these events.
Rick
Rick, you are correct. BUT that is why we need more laps, to get better. I personally fall apart like a Chinese watch after lap 2, but forcing myself to go more laps each moto will increase my endurance and make me better overall. Number of racers in the state and surrounding area are strong, but our result on a national level are... well lets be nice and say, less than desirable. Sure, there are a lot of racers that do not care about LL, Mini o's or the other events. Looking at the entry list of the regionals, they only say they don't care after they try to make it and don't.
I say this on a Tuesday morning while my legs are still sore from only 4 laps moto's on Sunday... Maybe I need to get my fat arse out for a run through the week.

I see positive changes for racers looking at what you have now vs how it was when we were racing. If you could limit the classes and shorten the day that would be great, but fact is after two races I was never done riding. I would want open practice after, but when you just paid to get in plus racing I don’t want to pay another 25$ for practice. How about ten more bucks depending on how much time is left. I would love to race Malvern this weekend, but I would like to practice as well. My numbers may be off but 25$ for the A.M practice, 10$ to get in, 25$ for my class and 35$ for my OMA cars x2... not happening. Not for one or two races per year in D, I would love to line up with my boy but that money is better spent on 2-3 ride days.

Rick, you are correct. BUT that is why we need more laps, to get better. I personally fall apart like a Chinese watch after lap 2, but forcing myself to go more laps each moto will increase my endurance and make me better overall. Number of racers in the state and surrounding area are strong, but our result on a national level are... well lets be nice and say, less than desirable. Sure, there are a lot of racers that do not care about LL, Mini o's or the other events. Looking at the entry list of the regionals, they only say they don't care after they try to make it and don't.
I say this on a Tuesday morning while my legs are still sore from only 4 laps moto's on Sunday... Maybe I need to get my fat arse out for a run through the week.
And I thank you for falling apart after lap 2 cause you still have speed

No one wants more laps. Everyone talks tough online but I’ve never heard anyone on the starting gate for the second moto say “man I wish they would run more laps”.
The days are way too long no matter how efficiently a track thinks they run. The biggest time waster is practice. For Christ’s sake how many laps do people need to learn the tracks? Hell most of these people ride the Saturday practice. The tracks are so simple that this overweight/out of shape 35 year old jumps everything on the first or second lap. Mid-day track prep is a time waster at most tracks and is usually a waste because the track does a half ass prep. Make race day practices muddy as hell so the track stays nicer longer.
I don’t understand the all the classes on the local or national level. There seems to be way too many classes that overlap each other. Get rid of all the classes underlined and double gate / double drop all the classes in bold. This would certainly shave off a few hours.

50 JR (4-6)
50 Oil Inj (4-8
)

50 SR (7-8)
50 Open
60-64cc (7-9)
60-65cc (10-11
)
65 Extra (7-11)
80 Extra (9-13)

80 JR (9-11)
80 SR (12-15)

Super Mini (12-16)
Schoolboy 1 12-16
Schoolboy 2 14-17
125cc B/C
14-24
Girls 11-16
Women 12+

25+
25+A
30+
30+A

40+
50+
250 A
250 B

250 C
Open A
Open B

Open C

Last edited:
No one wants more laps. Everyone talks tough online but I’ve never heard anyone on the starting gate for the second moto say “man I wish they would run more laps”.
The days are way too long no matter how efficiently a track thinks they run. The biggest time waster is practice. For Christ’s sake how many laps do people need to learn the tracks? Hell most of these people ride the Saturday practice. The tracks are so simple that this overweight/out of shape 35 year old jumps everything on the first or second lap. Mid-day track prep is a time waster at most tracks and is usually a waste because the track does a half ass prep. Make race day practices muddy as hell so the track stays nicer longer.
I don’t understand the all the classes on the local or national level. There seems to be way too many classes that overlap each other. Get rid of all the classes underlined and double gate / double drop all the classes in bold. This would certainly shave off a few hours.

50 JR (4-6)
50 Oil Inj (4-8
)

50 SR (7-8)
50 Open
60-64cc (7-9)
60-65cc (10-11
)
65 Extra (7-11)
80 Extra (9-13)

80 JR (9-11)
80 SR (12-15)

Super Mini (12-16)
Schoolboy 1 12-16
Schoolboy 2 14-17
125cc B/C
14-24
Girls 11-16
Women 12+

25+
25+A
30+
30+A

40+
50+
250 A
250 B

250 C
Open A
Open B

Open C

Come out to our race this weekend and I will double gate the 30+ A Class with the Open A or B class and run 8 laps sound good?

25+, 25+A, 30+ and 30+A have shown the lowest turnout all year. Even this week with nearly 700 entries there was only 4 in 30+A.
I have not done the numbers yet this year, but that has to be the key when talking about reducing the number of classes. Some will not like it if you cut their class, but if the number just are not there, then that would be justification...if its really needed.
There are several that should be on the chopping block

One Problem with this..... If they pay money to the vet riders, all of the vet riders that take the money will now be A riders. It sounds like a good thought in theory but it just will not work. Sorry to burst that bubble.
So what? It does not matter. A, B, C or D as a vet your all the same, even at Loretta's Only thing that matters there are Pro points.
Now if you got an old dude that wants to try to make it in a B or C class, then yeah that will be an issue. But I highly doubt anyone in 40+ is trying to make it in 250B limited.
Takes a lot to burst this bubble. Better sharpen that needle.

Svr, delta and most Michigan tracks pay vet classes. It's not 100%, maybe more like 40%. 2 good motos and I basically raced for free which im very happy with, or at least covers my entry fees.

Back