2018 Local Moto Changes

ck1racerx

PR Addict
What about the battle of Ohio vet 30+ C class? all the guys that took money in the vet 30+ class can now not compete there...... of course no 40+ rider is going to race 250 B limited, but you go to a race that has a 30+ B/C and a 40+ B/C and they cant race because they are A riders now.... I am totally for paying out the A classes but if its an open class it will cause too many problems.
Good discussion. I like it.
The Grand Poobah a.k.a the AMA does not recognize Vet anything a an A,B or C class. Those are "at the organizer's discretion". Don't advertise cash is paid and BAM. You are good. Don't want to risk it? Fine, that the paper weight. If your willing to live on the edge, then take the $12.25 you get for second and sneak away into the shadows.
Or, another loophole that even the AMA uses. Call it "Contingency".
upload_2017-10-24_15-59-40.png

Kawasaki even pays kids with a Visa card that can be used to buy anything. Kinda sounds like cash to me....

I can say honestly this is why we race so much off-road woods an gp racing show up race when an what we choose to race just seems to be to many classes.Pw an jr -sr 50 classes to me should always stay this is where a lot kids get their start a lot times fills the gates mores times than any other classes

tank166

PR Addict
I think if someone is winning cash while racing a vet class then they probably don't belong in the vet c class anyways.
The tracks that pay vet money usually give you the choice of trophy or cash, sometimes a t-shirt. Point is no way to prove if someone took cash or not.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Yes Kawasaki gives them a prepaid Visa but the difference between contingency and cash is simple. Contingency is money from an outside source AKA a dealer or a brand, that is only given to specific riders that qualify for it, AKA a Honda rider cannot take Kawasaki contingency, A dealer check can only be spent at that dealer, and so on. Cash is offered per position not per brand and can be spent anywhere. That is the way the the Poobah looks at it. If a promoter gives you a prepaid visa for getting second place you are an A rider, but if Kawi gives you a prepaid for riding a Kawi that is contingency, because it is contingent based on certain qualifications.
Yeah, that entire system has more loopholes then.... well I cant think of a good analogy for loopholes...
Anyway, how difficult would if be to set it up in the same manner. Oh you rode a Honamazuki... They are a sponsor and pay $25 for your third place. In contingency, of course.

All of the "contingency" programs are based on finishing position. You win you get a lot of $. You get last you get nothing. No matter what you want to call that, that is PAYING racers.
How can you get arrested if you give the whore the money in a birthday card???

But again, Regardless of any of that. Vet class classification is not determined by the AMA. You can not be disqualified for an unwritten rule. If I want to ride 30+C this week. I can. Now I would never, and if I did I would expect others to shame me out of it as we seen earlier this year.

Several tracks still offer the "Trophy buy back" program. However you want to swing it. Just pay the Vets and they will come. Heck, we will come no matter what, because we love the sport. But 7/11 will not take my 5th place plaque for a sixer of PBR.

mblair

PR Founding Father
One Problem with this..... If they pay money to the vet riders, all of the vet riders that take the money will now be A riders. It sounds like a good thought in theory but it just will not work. Sorry to burst that bubble.

don't know if its still fact or not but it used to be over the age of 32 you couldn't be forced into the A classes. I don't feel like looking it up but Knox can find out if that's a fact or not. :)

NQ1965

PR Elite
25+, 25+A, 30+ and 30+A have shown the lowest turnout all year. Even this week with nearly 700 entries there was only 4 in 30+A.

Seems there was a discussion on this a year or two ago, and somebody showed some stats that showed that this age group just don't have the racers and riders like it had in the past. Kind of a generational fall off?

I don't personally know how anybody that age can financially afford riding and racing, particularly if they aren't living with parents anymore. From all those of that age group that I know personally, most of what they do own is financed. Not starting a discussion about the costs of our sport, but 25 to 35 years old is usually your struggle years. I see this firsthand with our 4 kids, youngest being 27, and the oldest 34 this December.

Last edited:

Mosher

PR Founding Father
don't know if its still fact or not but it used to be over the age of 32 you couldn't be forced into the A classes. I don't feel like looking it up but Knox can find out if that's a fact or not. :)
I don't see that rule anymore in the AMA rule book.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Yeah I think the age thing is gone from the rule book. But again, that does not matter. 40+ is not an A or B, or C class. The "rules" say only A riders can get cash. If you take cash then you are advanced to the A class... OK, fine. 40+ does not have an A class... so now what?
Don't over think this. This is an all cash business. How can it be proven that ANYONE took $? PLUS, its contingence, remember...
The entire classification process is a crock of crap anyway. That is why I don't want it in Vet classes. You make 30+C class, people will cheat. B/C class... people will cheat. We are old dudes that go to work the next day. No one is going to take someone out because they can get a 2 sticker on their plaque over a 3 sticker. And no one is going to get cleaned out over $5. If so, they will be buying $200 worth of parts after the next moto.
This is motocross. The only think that I know is that no matter how "good" someone way claim to be, they still cheat. If they say they don't, then they are a liar.

MX955

PitRacer Pro

Didn't a few of the Ohio Vet guys get bumped to the A Class after doing well at LL in to 40+ class a few years ago??