Top 10 best racers out of Ohio

Original44

PR Addict
Are watching Aaron Plessinger this year and watching him go 1-1 at Glen Helen it got me thinking who would be your top 10 picks for all time motocross’s out of Ohio.
This is my top ten list.

1 Gary Semics
2 Aaron Plessinger
3 Brock Sellards
4 Fred Andrews
5 Jeff Hicks
6 Tom Carson
7 Denny Swartz
8 Jeromy Buehl
9 Gavin Gracyk
10 Todd Perkin

Bryan Kennedy, Jeff Gibson as honorable mention.

I only chose racers who list themself as Ohio riders. That’s why I didn’t include Tyler Bower or other racers who listed other states.

Greg Rand would need to be on that list.

6 #1 finishes at LL
3 #2 finishes
2 #3 finishes
2 other top 10s.
Out of 15 class attempts.

Probably one of the best riders from Ohio. Tons of natural talent. And his best finishes were at the end in the B class and A class, not as a mini rider.

Last edited:
I think you knocked that out of the park. Can not argue with a single rider or position. Nice work.
If it were as amateurs you could replace a few names. We have had a number of superstars that just did not transition to full pro career.

Mark Burkhart. Had he figured out a few things I think he would of landed a satellite team ride.
We used to love watching Burkhart, Gibson, Willy, and Levi battling at wild wilderness! Mages, Walker, Skaggs, and plenty of other Arenacross notables.

The only two riders that I wasn’t sure about was Aaron and Brock. Wasn’t sure who to put second and third. So I decided to take a look at the MX Vault to see who has more wins indoors and out. I was shocked that Aaron already has more wins indoor and outdoor. Plus his West Coast championship.

Also, if Aaron win the outdoor title this year he will be the first rider from Ohio to win a outdoor title.

Great list
Brock was in era of champions and change - I feel he did outstanding.

In the late 70's, Jon Leak was running with the superstars of his era like a young Bob Hannah & Mary Smith. Unfortunately he was killed in a private plane crash while in his prime.
If I'm not mistaken - Gary Easton beat out David Bailey in some amateur championships.

Last edited:
There are so many from Ohio that are fast. Some of the mentioned above were before my time. But as of the early 2000's I'd have to add a few local guys. Maybe not title contenders but national qualifiers and SX.

Chris Whitcraft
Ron Boyas
Tony Gallo
Mike Katin
Shawn Rife

Again I'm dating myself but the original list is great. As for the Bob Hannah years, 70's 80's and early 90's I'm a little in the dark. But 98-99 and further I'm good. Hard to believe that was 20yrs ago.

Great list
Brock was in era of champions and change - I feel he did outstanding.

In the late 70's, Jon Leak was running with the superstars of his era like a young Bob Hannah & Mary Smith. Unfortunately he was killed in private plane crash in this prime.
If I'm not mistaken - Gary Easton beat out David Bailey in some amateur championships.

I didn’t realize Jon was killed. He was super fast.

Gary beat David Bailey for the AMA Amateur National Championship. Gary won the Open Class title and I believe he was only 14 or 15.

Wondered if Dave Hand should be on there?

I love Dave, but I wouldn’t put him in the top 10. Dave’s best pro number was #42 and he didn’t race all of the Nationals that year. Dave had a great pro career.

All the riders I mentioned I believe all had finished in the top 10 overall one or more years in the outdoor nationals. Let’s make this more interesting. Most of us agree on the top 10, but who would be your 11th through 20th pick?

Not going to try to put anyone in order but these guys know how to twist the right wrist.
Doug Sanger (Mr. Fass Gass)
Josh Steele
Jimmy Eickel
Dave Hand
Musselman
Rand.

I could name another 100 or so fast Buckeyes.

What about todays Logan Karnow and retro Dane Liembach? Isdt champ and top 15 Daytona Supercross 2018...John Penton ????

I 2nd mike Katin!! Some other names that some may recognize or remember.

Dale spangler
Marcus Sellards for sure
justin weeks
I’ve seen all the karnows race, from Kenny to Vince and Logan! To bad the fastest karnow not many of u know! Brian karnow!! Watching him on his 98 rm125 with no practice under his belt was fun to watch! He riminded me Marcus sellards, who was Fast as hell!

Back