Anybody go to Smith Rd. today?

Vet261

PR Addict
The stuff I saw on FB just came across my newsfeed. Like one of my FB friends replied to a thread and that made me go read it. They were not on the Smith Rd FB page I don't think.

Stuff about the grass not being mowed, the track only being half prepped or something, I don't remember all the exacts but a lot of what has already been said. I was reading the stuff and just thinking oh boy here we go...

Same thing happened like a month ago or so with Western Reserve --- I didn't even know they were having a race, but suddenly all this stuff on FB was showing up with people blasting them about the event. I don't think it was on the WR fb page either, just comments and threads that would show up on my newsfeed and then later I'd never see them again.

I've seen a few threads about CRA stuff explode on FB this year too.

I've been riding Smith Road longer than most of you on here save for Rocket Robin and some other of us old guys. I'm glad they are still around and will enjoy going there now and then. I'm glad the whole pipeline thing didn't force the track to close down.

jj584

PR Addict
So Lucky asked what everyone thought ..... you dont like what Stonewall had to say so you call him a hater.

People like YOU are the problem. The entire point of this board, social media in general and America is being able to voice your opinion. Only butt hurt people get upset when they hear an opinion they dont like. Next youre going to be calling for banning members who dont meet your standards!! Lmao.

As for the negative comments....Ive said it a million times, a smart track owner would use the info and address it as they see fit. Social media is by far the absolute BEST market research tool for any business owner!!!

Ill check it out the next weds I can ride for sure!
Everytime smith road is brought up its beating a dead horse. If you don’t know by now that the prep is going to be hit or miss than there’s no help for you. Everybody expects redbud 10 minutes from home for 25$ per ride. It’s not redbud, but it’s not your backyard either. Be happy they’re open. Be happy they’ll be open any chance the weather allows all winter long. Way after everybody else put their equipment away for the year you’ll get to go riding because of that track owner.

Last edited:

jj584

PR Addict
Hahaha! I took a lap at 5 O’clock after the other riders were off. I was on my C track cruiser trail bike. I just wanted to see the layout. I guess if you look at it like that- there were some guys checking out the C track on 450’s too. They weren’t making a day out of it. They were just checking it out. Maybe they wanted to see if their kids or GFs could ride it?

Anyway- I asked for opinions, and yours is as good as any. If somebody asked if I ever went to Applebee’s, and if I liked it? I’d tell them yes, and I didn’t like it. So I don’t think you’re out of line at all. —L*64
I should’ve clarified I was referring to stonewall.

LuckyStar64

PR Addict
You’re fine. Yep. I think the first time I rode there was ‘88? Pit IS right about expecting the world right up the (Smith) road for $25. Could they improve? Sure! Did the long grass in the pits hinder our fun? Definitely not!

I really like the Plas’s myself, and I’m glad they’re making a go of the ‘Road. I’m sure they’ll read this and take any criticism in stride. Based on the comments- I think most of the riders are on board.

I’ve had a lot of convy’s with Apple/X-mas Frank over the years about trying to please every rider (not to mention ‘Ol George) and you just can’t do it. Post up here if you go tomorrow night, and how you liked the new layout and all. I’ll go back when it’s open on a Sunday again. —L*64

captainfishpond

PR Member
How they can fence off a whole "new" track and still not fence the pee wee track from the big track is beyond me.

Let's just put some cones where a 4 year old is heading straight at the pull off spot for the 450's.

To those who say "talk to Larry" I have mentioned it several times over the last several years

jj584

PR Addict
We rode it tonight. I was expecting some mud from all the rains but there really wasn’t anything horrible. For me I feel like the track is tight and doesn’t flow as well as last year. I have yet to learn how to seat bounce so the one table just before you go back up is tough. You really have to nail that corner or seat bounce it. It was slick, and tight, as usual some nice ruts were forming. My 180 degree corners need some work and def time to install that new tire I’ve been starring at for 2 months. I liked last years layout better.

premix

PR Member
Rode it again tonight as well. It was ten fold better than what it was on Sunday. That being said, they still need to dig it deeper, especially in the turns. I’m sure it will continue to improve.

Also please get rid of the 55 gallon drums as track markers. It’s a matter of time until someone cleans themselves out on those.

jj584

PR Addict
Rode it again tonight as well. It was ten fold better than what it was on Sunday. That being said, they still need to dig it deeper, especially in the turns. I’m sure it will continue to improve.

Also please get rid of the 55 gallon drums as track markers. It’s a matter of time until someone cleans themselves out on those.
It’s one of those tracks that in order to clear the obstacles and turn a good lap you’ll have to keep your intensity up. Get lazy for two turns and your lap falls apart.

Bill480

PR Addict
I have yet to learn how to seat bounce so the one table just before you go back up is tough. You really have to nail that corner or seat bounce it.

go way wide then square up with it, running over the ruts if you have to. much easier and you don't need much speed at all to downside it. hit 3rd in the air and you can clear the uphill as well.

(im assuming youre talking about the table right after the sharp right hander in the middleish area of the track)

Andy105

Noob
Was there last night and liked the new layout a lot. Definitely agree with premix's comment about getting rid of some of the drums. I clipped my bars on them a couple times when taking the inside lines.

mawilk6

PR Member
Was there last night and liked the new layout a lot. Definitely agree with premix's comment about getting rid of some of the drums. I clipped my bars on them a couple times when taking the inside lines.
i did it on sunday good thing i got hand quards

four26stroker

PR Member
A simple dot 1" sticker for the $25 rider to place on front plate or helmet. Simple code # in sharpie for specific quick reference allows all access. You don't have a day dot on you, fine charged $10 or told to park it back on your truck. No exception no testing the Big track out. You come to run mini or C Class tracks respect the discount given. You abuse the the gift you deserve no slack no matter your local promonance. We can all walk it for Free on two feet.
Let's face it we ALL know cheap out types, who would gladly cheat at a chance to save $5.00. At the expense of a $10 or park it rule...I believe a cheap dot peel off marker will clear it up. Also clearly post rule and sign the main track with a small board with a circle painted on it, to indicate pass only track.

Last edited:

jj584

PR Addict
go way wide then square up with it, running over the ruts if you have to. much easier and you don't need much speed at all to downside it. hit 3rd in the air and you can clear the uphill as well.

(im assuming youre talking about the table right after the sharp right hander in the middleish area of the track)
I was talking about that table, I’ll go wide like that once or twice to get a fee for the correct speed. After that I feel like it’s cheating lol. I also clipped a barrel with my bar.

DelBalso28

PR Addict
Went Wednesday. Had fun and got my motos in.
Barrels need to go. It’s not just a matter of don’t get close. There’s not many line options as is, and the barrels eliminate the inside line for anyone that leans properly into a corner. Safety issue for sure.

Very slick, what I’d consider unsafe slick. I chalk it up to good hardpacked practice, but it’s not enjoyable. This seems to be hit or miss at Smith in general, I have seen it rut up good. Rip the main track deep, get as many ruts as possible. There’s a c track now for hard packed riding.

I don’t understand the c track thing. They are both c tracks. But it’s a shame the best part of the main track is gone now and shortened up so much. Hopefully some length can be added back in somewhere.
I will add that traffic flow was better though, so the additional track holds merit in that regard for sure.

I had fun, any practice is good practice. I appreciate a nice weekday ride and am expecting to see some nice improvements as they get back into the flow of things. Hoping for some winter motos.

LuckyStar64

PR Addict
426- If you mean the 2nd gear sighting lap I took last Sunday after the other riders were off the track? I was basically too lazy to walk around the whole track. I’m no spring chicken you know!

I agree. Both tracks ARE C rider friendly tracks. The smaller track (as I believe to be correct) is in place with the intention of separating the riders that are moving along at a good pace, from those that could get in their way. I think the C track title is a generous name for the riders that will ride the track, more than it is a description of what obstacles are found on it.... if that makes sense? —L*64

jj584

PR Addict
I’m thinking the “C” track is supposed to be more like the pitbike track at apple. Glad somebody else thought it was slick, maybe my tire will live to ride again. 37 hours on a mx3 lol

four26stroker

PR Member
Lucky no worries here mate...not here to point out individuals. As a thumb rule you can't show much in the way of favoritism as to enforcing rules. Just like expecting everyone to be honest the gate. The need for such a rule in itself is the gauge to our social behavior at the track. Your either the guy who brings his own garbage bag and respects the property owner or your the guy that fills the site can with the entire collection of fast food bags and drink containers you've been stashing since last practice. Act as you like, I'm nobody to tell anyone what's wrong with what's going on in their pit.