Baja Acres MX

John250

PR Founding Father
My son Matthew will be riding the regional at Baja June 22nd. He has never ridden Baja before. Anyone have any suggestions for preparing for Baja? I know it's super sandy and gets rough for sure

Go there and ride it before hand.

It's not like riding a little sand around here.

Breaking bumps more like doubles or rollers around the whole thing.

Sand tire.

Stamina.

I was in pretty good shape last time I went. It was rough. One of my biggest issues was sand in my mouth and throat. I came off the track gagging n puking two motos because of it. Ended up wrapping a bandana around my face for the last Moto..

Ride it beforehand... sand tire is a definite must. Stay hydrated. Watch out for the guys watering the track during the motos, i got taken out by them leading collegeboy in 13

Dunlop mx11 is what i ran. I have a 120/90/90 with 2 motos on it... you can have it... and i had it on a 250f and it worked ok

There are two good sand tracks to practice without making the long drive to Baja.

SuperCoop MX and Twisted MX. They are literally 1 mile apart from each other and are about 30 minutes north of Toledo in Michigan. Supercoop has not been able to open yet because of all the rain but Twisted has been running practice.

All the major players make sand scoop tires now.

Bridgestone X10
bri_17_tir_bat_x10_mud_san-1763990002.jpg

Pirelli Scorpion Soft
pir_17_tir_sco_mx_410_sor_ter.jpg

Dunlop MX12
dun_18_tir_mx12_geo_san_mud-1842080002.jpg

Michelin Starcross Sand
mic_16_tir_sta_5-san-r.jpg

Reactions: DTS
If tomorrow wasn't mother's day, I'd leave at 7am, get there when they open ride till 4, home before 10..

I have heard super coops is fun though..

I saw a few guys running regular soft tires there last time. I'd be tempted to do the same because there is some harder packed areas too.. if I go soon I may take one of each to test..

The best thing to do is ride sand before hand. Rollers all the time and carry your front wheel from top to top. Get a sand tire for sure, and don't be surprised if you get smoked by someone on a clapped out two stroke that you never heard of before because it's probably a local that rides there all the time.

Not sure how far Supercoop is for you, but once they get going they run practice all the time, and it's sand sand sand. Start planning Saturday trips there for their open practice and stay all day as the track changes from a smooth sand boulevard to a nasty sand pothole laden course over the course of a day.

Motoland in Indiana has a practice weekend on June 8-9 before then, plan to go there and ride too. It's sand and usually split into two tracks, and you ride 20 minutes on one, 20 minutes off, 20 minutes on the other one, 20 minutes off, and back to 20 minutes on the first one all day. It's great training to pound out those 20 minute motos every 20 minutes all day. It's all sand and you can check out how sand tires perform there.

Stand up and stay on the gas, I remember a regional there and rode the first practice, the track was like glass came around the second lap and was like who put the triple in the corner. Huge whoops.

I just moved to Michigan last winter. I live 20 minutes from supercoops and twisted mx. Rode Baja for the first time this year and that place is tuff for sure. I would definitely ride it before the race for sure.

When ya going up John? Id like to soon.

Still debating going to bigair Saturday evening to race Sunday and sleeping in the truck old school style. Mx sports accepted my $ as an alternate for Baja but I'd kinda like to have a for sure spot. I'm assuming though if they accepted my $ that there shouldn't be an issue. Anyone have insight? Finish was poor at BC, but like delbalso said, at least I rode and didn't pull a spoon lol..

When ya going up John? Id like to soon.

Still debating going to bigair Saturday evening to race Sunday and sleeping in the truck old school style. Mx sports accepted my $ as an alternate for Baja but I'd kinda like to have a for sure spot. I'm assuming though if they accepted my $ that there shouldn't be an issue. Anyone have insight? Finish was poor at BC, but like delbalso said, at least I rode and didn't pull a spoon lol..

We are in for sure in one class solid. Matthew had issues with horrible starts at EF and passed a ton of kids, but missed the one class by 1 spot. Then fell running top 5 at BC in the class, was 30th, and rode back to 11th. Figured 11th and what ever would not make much difference and packed up in the rain at BC. Mistake for sure, #1 was DSQ. Many others did not run 2nd moto, and scores were all over. So I am hoping they accept his alternate for the class. How do you know they already accepted you?

I am out of town this weekend in Florida, so Matthew is going to race a Buckeye Series race, then I am open to go to Baja if you want to coordinate a day to go. We will be pretty open, and looks like they have a lot of dates for practice. Its 85 miles further than supercoop for us, but I would prefer him get a day on that track for sure.

Look at results page from area qualifier. Once you send your money there is a green check mark and then for an alternate there's also a yellow check mark..

If he's got a sure spot in one, sign up now and you'll also be given a chance to register from EF where he was 1 out.. 1 out and already there in another class, they'll let him sign up and ride..

I'm assuming though if they accepted my $ that there shouldn't be an issue. Anyone have insight?

Anyone that entered an Area LLQ and received a finish position can send in their money for the Regional. Seeing a checkmark next to your name in the results just means you sent your money in.

MOST LIKELY you will be totally fine and have no problem racing the regional as an alternate in the Vet classes.

There are a couple exceptions, and YES I HAVE PERSONALLY SEEN THEM GIVE PEOPLE REFUNDS AND TURN THEM AWAY.
1. They take a maximum of 64 racers for each class at the Regional (8 areas x 8 qualifying spots). If more than 64 entries are received for a class, they use power ranking of any alternates to see who gets in.

2. They don't go over a full gate just for alternates. If there is close to a full gate showing up (40) and a bunch are alternates, they will use power ranking of alternates to complete the one full gate and then the rest are sent packing.

There is a common misconception of "they aren't going to turn your money away" and that's mostly true because you generally don't get into the above situations, especially in the vet classes. But it does happen, mostly in the mini or C classes. I've also seen it happen with the old +30B/C class because so many people thought that was their chance to win. I remember sweating out a few regional registrations and barely making the cut since I was an alternate from the Area.

Last edited:
Back