Baja Acres MX

Meister

PR Founding Father
I knew it went something like that. Being that it is the last regional, I'm betting quite a few guys will make it through other regions they've ridden and not have to show at baja.

Still debating if it's worth the drive this weekend to go to bigair for a secured spot. Or do I save the money and gamble a little.

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
What vet 261 said is gospel, they will try and get you in. They will not run a second gate for a few alternates though.
Over the next month, our group will be going to Supercoop, Twisted & Baja regularly for practicing.
I’ll post here with details.

SCHAFFERNOCKER

PR Addict
Won't they take up to 80 riders if over 41 guaranteed spots show up? I was told last year that they take up to 2 full gates, but this wasn't an official that said it, and my first regional. So total noob question here.

What about practice? Do they have the final running list before practice? Or could you practice and not get to race?

John250

PR Founding Father
Looks like Matthew has a Green check and yellow check on the class that he had the 9th in. I am sure he will get in the 64 with that. The other class was no issue at all. The kid has the speed, just needs to get a better start. At BC he was 4th, hit the kid in front of him in corner 2 and fell. Went from 30th place to 11th.

Vet261

PR Addict
Won't they take up to 80 riders if over 41 guaranteed spots show up? I was told last year that they take up to 2 full gates, but this wasn't an official that said it, and my first regional. So total noob question here.

What about practice? Do they have the final running list before practice? Or could you practice and not get to race?

64 is the total, not 80.

You run practice, etc. Then before the first moto any classes that may be an issue are reviewed and alternates seeded.

motomatt19

PR Member
I went to baja this past Sunday, my first time there... all i can say is wow! Southwest ohio boys don't even experience anything like that place. It's soooo fast and the jumps are pretty much gigantic and blind... it's a nice place, well groomed, flaggers evenly spaced it's just not often you're letting a 450 EAT in 4th gear while swapping around if you're from ohio. It's kinda like monster mountain only 12 to 18 inches deep sand everywhere. It got rough with 150 riders and can't imagine 5 to 600 or whatever a regional gets.

john lilly

PR Addict
I went to baja this past Sunday, my first time there... all i can say is wow! Southwest ohio boys don't even experience anything like that place. It's soooo fast and the jumps are pretty much gigantic and blind... it's a nice place, well groomed, flaggers evenly spaced it's just not often you're letting a 450 EAT in 4th gear while swapping around if you're from ohio. It's kinda like monster mountain only 12 to 18 inches deep sand everywhere. It got rough with 150 riders and can't imagine 5 to 600 or whatever a regional gets.
How you describe it, is on point. It can be scary fast and the uphill triple, 3 wide can get real sketchy. I plan on taking my son up at least once before the regional. Deep sand and will probably use our sand tire. It does get real rough and can wear you out real quick (so my son says). I get real nervous watching him on this track but it makes for some great racing. Let me know when some of you are planning on heading up.

Last edited:

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
Typically, I believe a track sees the most abuse during an Amateur Regional weekend. They get hammered for three days -
The roughness at Baja will be a thing to behold.

Meister

PR Founding Father
4th wide up a set of 3' tall sand whoops launching the face of the ski jump was definitely an adrenaline rush.. That and coming up to the first table after the start. Super sketch!

Romanyak256

PR Addict
4th wide up a set of 3' tall sand whoops launching the face of the ski jump was definitely an adrenaline rush.. That and coming up to the first table after the start. Super sketch!

I got the holeshot in 14-24 in 2013 at the regional, only to get landed on off that table top they call “Kong”