Baja Acres MX

DelBalso28

PR Addict
I’m planning on heading up Sunday. Like others mentioned, last practice before regionals.
If you haven’t been here yet you really need to consider making the trip to give yourself time to prepare for a few adjustments to your program before regionals. See how the track hits you. It’ll be tougher for regionals.

It gets rough, your biggest competition will be surviving the track and not gassing out in 2 laps. That being said, if you are physically ready you can pick off positions pretty easily the last lap. A big key to riding the track is paying attention to body position, especially your core. Stay with the bike or it’ll drain you. You won’t be sitting much.

Tire selection, I’m going with the mx12. You’ll want a sand tire with beefy knobs, the couple hard pack sections can shred off the sides of the thinner knobbed sand tires(don’t run the Michelin starcross sand, wouldn’t suggest the pirelli either). Another good tire was the Bridgestone x10. Front tire isn’t too noticeable. I’ve tried sand fronts, but a tall knob like the Dunlop mx33 is great.

stumpy823

PR Member
Love all the information I suck but love doing big races going up this weekend with two tires mx 12 and 33 looks like mostly caring momentum no matter how rough

Meister

PR Founding Father
Planning on leaving Canton at 7. Got room for a bike and a couple people. Any takers? Shoot me a text. 3308060082

Last edited:

Meister

PR Founding Father
Brutal. First couple practices I felt like a goon. Hardly jumped any of the larger ones. Next couple practices I started to come around. Then my hands were done for. Lol. I think I'll give the regional a shot. Lack of seat time and physical fitness will definitely lower my expectations, but at a regional, part of it's luck of 3 solid motos. I'd rather be lucky than good sometimes. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_20190609_160120.jpg
    IMG_20190609_160120.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 249

John250

PR Founding Father
Meister and Jonathan Lilly both looked good. Matthew struggled getting used to all the sand for sure. I doubt too many in his class will be hucking a few of those big leaps. I told him to worry about his momentum and just keep it going straight.

As for me.....I can say I rode Baja, and have no desire to ride that SOB again!! Not my style at al .

It was amazing to see those fast guys act like it was not a foot deep sand and launching a couple of those huge jumps. Video does this place no justice.

stumpy823

PR Member
Awesome place definitely wish I would have got paddle tire mounted mx52 does not get job done rode like a complete turd. Definitely a wake up call glad we went up will be more prepared for regionals. Still had fun

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
Meister, Lilly & Delbalso were tearing it up.
Very light crowd - Still a good showing but nothing compared to two weeks ago when we went for drops.
Track was dry and scraped - Watering still as we got ready to go out.
Nothing was fluffed anywhere, so it was pretty hard pack, for Baja.
The top 6" got loose , nothing deep. Jumps stayed fairly comb free.

We had a great time.

Only got two sessions in before packing up and taking one of the group home for surgery on his broken arm.
He was riding the high line around the left hand turn after Kong and blew through the top of the berm.

Stumpy - was that you and me that went at it for a lap & half in the second session?

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
It was amazing to see those fast guys act like it was not a foot deep sand and launching a couple of those huge jumps. Video does this place no justice.

I feel under powered on my 350 - Ha!
Then to watch them on 250-F's and 125's hucking & scrubbing that stuff - humbling ....

stumpy823

PR Member
Good to hear nothing broken yea that was me definitely a wake up call was gassed in 2 laps really struggled to put in 4 laps got lots of work to do in the next 2 weeks lol

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
Yeah, Too Funny - that track beats the sheet out of ya - yet you aren't going anywhere fast.
I feel like some goober that just started riding 3 weeks ago......

DelBalso28

PR Addict
Meister, Lilly & Delbalso were tearing it up.
Very light crowd - Still a good showing but nothing compared to two weeks ago when we went for drops.
Track was dry and scraped - Watering still as we got ready to go out.
Nothing was fluffed anywhere, so it was pretty hard pack, for Baja.
The top 6" got loose , nothing deep. Jumps stayed fairly comb free.

We had a great time.

Only got two sessions in before packing up and taking one of the group home for surgery on his broken arm.
He was riding the high line around the left hand turn after Kong and blew through the top of the berm.

Stumpy - was that you and me that went at it for a lap & half in the second session?

Bummer to hear. I blew through that same turn one of my sessions, the line seemed to just run you off and over the berm unexpectedly. Pretty much how the lines at the track go.

The track itself was pretty tame to what I’m expecting for regionals. No doubt still tough, was definitely a good day for practice to feel out the track. Very low turnout and the moisture/rain kept it packed in a little better than usual.

I was able to dial in the bike a bit, and start to dial in sand technique, I definitely have a few things to work on there. So the plan is to stay in the sand until the regional. Planning on heading to Twisted MX this weekend for some racing and hopefully MX Express for a mid week practice day.
Twisted is a great safe track to dial some sand riding technique, nothing like Baja in the gnarly department.