Ktm 50 e bikes

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
Press: The KTM PowerPack can provide more than two hours of riding for a beginner – or 25 minutes for the faster junior racers – and with its external worldwide charger, full power is restored in approximately one hour.

Just enough time to slam a PB&J and a Monster .....

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
The only issue I see is again, the battery. Can you imagine going to a race, run practice for 15 mins then first class, battery won't make your next moto in 3 motos. And that's the first year. Next year you're buying 1700 in batteries again.

I agree these are the future, they are great for everyone except the average 2 class racer on a limited budget. The play rider and the elite will eat these things up though. Neighbors will love them as much as the kids. Let's face it, there will be an mx track in every neighborhood that one of these bikes are in. Then the other kids in the neighborhood will bug mom and dad until they get one too. It will most certainly grow the sport.
Man for an electrician you have no hope in electricity. 70 minute charge to 100%. 40 minute to 80%. We don’t race longer than 12 minutes. Take one extra battery you’re good. Get it back on the charger after everytime you ride and I’ll bet you can Race 6 motos no problem.....

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Press: The KTM PowerPack can provide more than two hours of riding for a beginner – or 25 minutes for the faster junior racers – and with its external worldwide charger, full power is restored in approximately one hour.

Just enough time to slam a PB&J and a Monster .....
Marc monster is so 2005. It’s bang energy now. You know this man.

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
Man for an electrician you have no hope in electricity. 70 minute charge to 100%. 40 minute to 80%. We don’t race longer than 12 minutes. Take one extra battery you’re good. Get it back on the charger after everytime you ride and I’ll bet you can Race 6 motos no problem.....

Yeah most of the time its closer to 8 minutes for motocross - depressing. If you click your go pro on too early you'll have more footage of the starting gate.

Bill480

PR Addict
The only issue I see is again, the battery. Can you imagine going to a race, run practice for 15 mins then first class, battery won't make your next moto in 3 motos. And that's the first year. Next year you're buying 1700 in batteries again.

I agree these are the future, they are great for everyone except the average 2 class racer on a limited budget. The play rider and the elite will eat these things up though. Neighbors will love them as much as the kids. Let's face it, there will be an mx track in every neighborhood that one of these bikes are in. Then the other kids in the neighborhood will bug mom and dad until they get one too. It will most certainly grow the sport.

Where did you read that the batteries are only good for 1 year? And if you paid $1700 (two batteries) Why wouldn't you be able to swap your battery and make the race?

Ya lost me, from the track to the Pits?

He's saying that its somehow a problem because instead of listening to bikes on the track you will have to listen to generators in the pits to charge the batteries.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
Where did you read that the batteries are only good for 1 year? And if you paid $1700 (two batteries) Why wouldn't you be able to swap your battery and make the race?

He's saying that its somehow a problem because instead of listening to bikes on the track you will have to listen to generators in the pits to charge the batteries.

I see, but still much quieter than 4 strokes. Unless you're at Chillitown.........then you will have spooky silence.

GoFar

PR Member

I'm assuming Hershey's numbers are guestimates, but I would think it's not too far off reality.

On the other hand, it's really not hard to get $1700 wrapped up in a gas 50 engine and clutches in a year regardless of what level the kid is competing at.

4DAIVI PAI2K5

PR Addict
$1700 easy in clutches, top ends, filters, filter oil, gas, not just in 1 year but 4 years, as the KTM grows with your kid possibly from age 4-8. 1 bike to last 4 years vs the current 2 years per bike.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Race all year qualifying. And regionals. Then....New chain sprockets and suspension serviced. Swap battery and you got a fresh bike for Loretta’s. And the piston won’t seize.......

80% charge will still give you 16 minutes of race time. Again that’s only 4 minutes over a typical moto. Except for Loretta’s. Would need the full charge.

So say you have close motos.....and only get an 80% charge due to time. You push the bike to the gate or throw it in the back of one of your obscene side by sides. Keep it on the charger all the way until the 2 card is close to being put up.....

This machine is very feasible for motocross. Not for gncc or gps. But for moto it will get the job done.

Now if the kid just wants to ride for hours upon end line some do....then you’ll need a pw50 or gas powered bike to let them scream around for hours on end.....

I think the biggest unknown would be mud. That could surely drain the batteries at a faster rate if the bike gets tacky and heavy no?

Bill480

PR Addict
I see, but still much quieter than 4 strokes. Unless you're at Chillitown.........then you will have spooky silence.

just like electric cars have brought the need for more public charging stations; as the demand increases for electricity in the pits more tracks may start burying wire. i realize who i'm talking to here so don't yell at me.

i didn't comment on his post in the first place because at its core its a pretty odd comparison. a handful of 450s racing around a track is not really comparable to generators. and there's a way around generators (e.g. chilitown)

Bill480

PR Addict
I think the biggest unknown would be mud. That could surely drain the batteries at a faster rate if the bike gets tacky and heavy no?

in theory yes. depends on how they came up with that 20-25 minute at race pace metric. but more load on the same battery will drain that battery faster. how much faster is what we don't know. at least we can say with some certainty that ktm isn't going to close up shop next year and leave everyone that buys these things pissing in the wind; and we should see improvements as years pass.

hershey

PR Elite
Lol... my kid puts an hour on his bike each race day easy. 2 practices and 4 motos plus going to and from the track to pit. Easy scenario, practice is over and you're moto 1 and 3. Not enough time to charge the bike. Dead before end of moto 2. And o will absolutely guarantee you those batteries won't hold the same charge after a year of racing and will need replaced, talk to Baker. He posted the cost of a battery was $849 ×2 equals 1700. Electricians are good at math.

It's amazing a couple of you want to bash me for calling out the batteries as a weak point. Do your research, batteries are a common problem in our strive to go electric on everything. I'm all for these things and honestly believe they are the future. The Alta was a fantastic bike. I probably would have one now if they hadn't folded. I'm just a realist, everyone hates the truth.

Bill480

PR Addict
And o will absolutely guarantee you those batteries won't hold the same charge after a year of racing and will need replaced, talk to Baker. He posted the cost of a battery was $849 ×2 equals 1700. Electricians are good at math.

It's amazing a couple of you want to bash me for calling out the batteries as a weak point. Do your research, batteries are a common problem in our strive to go electric on everything. I'm all for these things and honestly believe they are the future. The Alta was a fantastic bike. I probably would have one now if they hadn't folded. I'm just a realist, everyone hates the truth.

Yea every tesla goes in for a battery replacement yearly. Guaranteed by o.

John250

PR Founding Father
I just have one question? All these people pushing green energy, and battery powered vehicles. How are they ever going to dispose of all these used batteries that makes the environmentalist happy?

4DAIVI PAI2K5

PR Addict
I just have one question? All these people pushing green energy, and battery powered vehicles. How are they ever going to dispose of all these used batteries that makes the environmentalist happy?
Im not pushing for green energy... I just think it is a better package. The enviro wienies can got talk to Asia before they come knock on my door.