Ktm 50 e bikes

hershey

PR Elite
Yea every tesla goes in for a battery replacement yearly. Guaranteed by o.

Lol, you know as well as i do these bikes don't have tesla technology batteries in them. But even tesla batteries dont last forever. Anything rechargeable sees a diminishing return on the life of a charge each time. Cell phones Don't hold a charge like new in far less than a year. Many ev cars have had issues with batteries not lasting. The average life of a lithium ion battery is 3-500 charges. So the ktm could easily use that up in a year. Not to mention after 100 cycles the battery will only last about 80% of the original charge time. By 200 cycles probably only 60%. My kid put 100 hours on his 65 in less than a year. Do the math.

Yes the truth hurts.

jj584

PR Addict
The key to the long life of the lithium polymer and lithium ion batteries is to not drain them completely. Taking them all the way down or "deep cycling" will diminish their capacity. As I walk the pits I usually see mini kids with two bikes anyway, why wouldn't they have two of these? I think they're great especially for the modern day dad who cant wrench very well. I had a pro senior for my kid at one time and I can easily see the learning curve costing the non mechanic dad a ton of money. If they make a KLX110L type thing that's electric soon Id probably be interested in that. I would guess that's coming next. Also these just came out, the aftermarket world hasn't had a chance to add to the market. Your factory CRF250 battery is $300, your firepower direct replacement is $100. The market will have options for cheaper backup or "practice" batteries. Now if we could only make lithium mines eco friendly HAHAHA! Electric is not more environmentally friendly, its just the new Black.

Last edited:

Bill480

PR Addict
Lol, you know as well as i do these bikes don't have tesla technology batteries in them. But even tesla batteries dont last forever. Anything rechargeable sees a diminishing return on the life of a charge each time. Cell phones Don't hold a charge like new in far less than a year. Many ev cars have had issues with batteries not lasting. The average life of a lithium ion battery is 3-500 charges. So the ktm could easily use that up in a year. Not to mention after 100 cycles the battery will only last about 80% of the original charge time. By 200 cycles probably only 60%. My kid put 100 hours on his 65 in less than a year. Do the math.

Yes the truth hurts.

You know an argument is sound when it's based on 0 experience (your grandpa's rechargeable drill does not count) and many uses of the word "probably" and a couple unsubstantiated "guarantees".

If the average life of a lithium ion battery was 3 charges your argument would make a lot more sense; but it isn't. If that was the first yahoo result, maybe scroll further down next time.

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
Now if we could only mane lithium mines eco friendly HAHAHA! Electric is not more environmentally friendly, its just the new Black.

Oh - man, this is the BIGGEST problem with batteries.
The Cobalt mines in Africa are a true disgrace to humanity

hershey

PR Elite
Zero experience with the new ktm, years of experience with batteries. I've literally replaced batteries for hundreds of battery operated tools, dozens of cell phones, an unimaginable number of battery operated toys and a $1200 Oset 10" electric trials bike. Far less experience than you I'm sure. Batteries simply don't last very well. It is a fact that the only reason we havent seen a revolution in electric vehicles boils down to the only major limiter ....Batteries. They don't hold a large enough charge, the life of the battery isn't long enough and the charge cycles ruin the battery. In the near future batteries will improve immensely and solar power will also. When those 2 happen, almost every vehicle will be electric. I honestly believe we will see that happen in less than 20 years.

And I'm not saying these electric bikes are bad, like I said I would own an Alta if they hadn't gone under. And if I were a 50cc dad I probably would own one next year too. Probably 2 and 2 spare batteries. But I'm that guy who will spend the cash. The majority of racers don't spend that much to keep racing and the battery could easily be a limiting factor at the track.

jj584

PR Addict
Also electric will not save tracks. The noise is the most in your face and easiest thing to complain about for the neighbors of the track, take that away and the next problem will be the dust, high traffic, or erosion. Some personality types just have to be miserable and complain. God forbid some of us actually enjoy life out in the world with our dead dinosaur burning toys. Look for electric boats soon as well, lots of room for batteries in a boat haul. The fishy's will live their best life without an oil filled gearbox with a slow leak cruising around their habitat.

NQ1965

PR Elite
So I wonder what the life expectancy of the electric motor is? Or the cost?
Unlike a car, these motor's will get the snot ran out of them.

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
Not sure if it’s the same technology - but we can get our CNC spindle motors rebuilt (locally) for about 10% of replacement cost.
So $12,000.00 motor (new) is about $1,200 to $1,500.00 to rebuild.
And they have tens of thousands of hours on them before needing any maintenance.

jj584

PR Addict
So I wonder what the life expectancy of the electric motor is? Or the cost?
Unlike a car, these motor's will get the snot ran out of them.
Its all about the bearing quality and the armature. Re winding an armature isn't rocket science, somebody is going to offer the service and taking apart an electric motor is a lot easier than splitting cases.

weaver658

PR Member
The future scares me. Think of all the jobs and maybe companies going to be lost because of electric bikes. With no piston, radiator, clutch ect. No longer will fmf pipes be needed, engine ice, engine oil, VP race fuels.

ddmx488

PR Addict
I think it's unlikely that you see electric bikes completely overtake the market, but who knows what will happen 100 years from now. The arguments for waning life in electric batteries aren't completely unjustified, but 500 cycles in a year is 208 hours of ride time at a hard pace. If you're currently putting those sorts of insanes hours on your race bike and dont own at least 1 or 2 practice bikes then I would be surprised. There have been studies in the past on electric vehicles that show that for the additional purchase price, you will likely never see a return on the long term total cost of ownership. These are probably similar. You're not likely going to save a ton of money, but if they help grow the sport in areas of the country that people are limited from riding in now (I.e. urban) then I think it's good for the sport. Future of trails riding may face a similar fate in the not too distant future.

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
I think it's unlikely that you see electric bikes completely overtake the market, but who knows what will happen 100 years from now. The arguments for waning life in electric batteries aren't completely unjustified, but 500 cycles in a year is 208 hours of ride time at a hard pace. If you're currently putting those sorts of insanes hours on your race bike and dont own at least 1 or 2 practice bikes then I would be surprised. There have been studies in the past on electric vehicles that show that for the additional purchase price, you will likely never see a return on the long term total cost of ownership. These are probably similar. You're not likely going to save a ton of money, but if they help grow the sport in areas of the country that people are limited from riding in now (I.e. urban) then I think it's good for the sport. Future of trails riding may face a similar fate in the not too distant future.

Probably even a bigger market for trails than motocross. No spark and no noise.

John250

PR Founding Father
Electric flat tracker is debuting.

https://www.bikeexif.com/zero-fx-electric-flat-track
Screenshot_20191025-164206_Facebook.jpg