What’s Harley Davidson doing?

Jarrod458

PR Member
For me it’s all about the feeling I get riding the bike. We all ride dirt or street to get a certain feeling. Harley’s do it for me. From the sportster, softail, dyna, street glide, they are amazing bikes with an amazing sound and an unmatched history/story behind the brand. The feeling I get riding a Harley I just don’t get on another brand. That’s the bottom line for me. Some of you have mentioned Harley’s being too expensive. I have a friend that opened up a shop called fairport harbor motorcycles. He specializes in used Harley’s. He has great deals with new bikes coming in daily! You can easily be on a nice Harley for 6k-8k. But honestly I don’t care what anyone rides I’m just glad people are riding! Motorcycling as a whole needs help right now!

Ron505

PR Founding Father
We just left Octoberfest bike week in Daytona on Sunday. There were bikes of all kinds, but yes, mostly HDs work almost all of them wearing HD costumes. I don't see their marketing as being bad at all. They sell lots of bikes at p premium prices, that aren't necessarily a premium product, and sell clothes and apparel at a premium. And they do sell.

As far as pulling up next to one at a stop light, I love it. I freaking love to blow their doors off with my Yamaha. And some don't even realize it isn't a HD.... LMFAO
20151014_183102-1.jpg

Ron505

PR Founding Father
BTW, our friend with his Kickstart shovelhead, was too worried about not making the trip over here to Panama City Beach bike week, so he trailered his. Me and my buddy on our Raiders rode from Daytona to Panama City Beach on Sunday. Our bikes get a lot of attention, because most don't know what it is.

mcso434

PR Member
For me it’s all about the feeling I get riding the bike. We all ride dirt or street to get a certain feeling. Harley’s do it for me. From the sportster, softail, dyna, street glide, they are amazing bikes with an amazing sound and an unmatched history/story behind the brand. The feeling I get riding a Harley I just don’t get on another brand. That’s the bottom line for me. Some of you have mentioned Harley’s being too expensive. I have a friend that opened up a shop called fairport harbor motorcycles. He specializes in used Harley’s. He has great deals with new bikes coming in daily! You can easily be on a nice Harley for 6k-8k. But honestly I don’t care what anyone rides I’m just glad people are riding! Motorcycling as a whole needs help right now!

Steve at Fairport Harbor Motorcycles is a great guy! I bought a very nice Electraglide from him earlier this year. He sells other makes too, but 95% Harley.

I'd rather hear the nice note of a v-twin exhaust over the nasal sound of those electric scooter horns any day!

John250

PR Founding Father
Has anyone not figured out that KTM is copying Harley Davidsons model? Look at their assessor catalog, their clothing, their marketing. Hell, they even stole HDs colors. They are the HD of the dirt world, and no one is on here complaining about their pricing being too high.

I would not trade my HD for another brand street bike, unless I wanted a sport bike again.

Bill480

PR Addict
Harley is an iconic brand. Imagine riding your Honda shadow down the road and pulling up next to a Harley at a red light. How are you going to feel? Enough said.

going through life with this kind of mentality must be exhausting

But honestly I don’t care what anyone rides I’m just glad people are riding! Motorcycling as a whole needs help right now!

you already forgot how manly you felt 5 minutes ago because that person you dont know rides a bike brand you feel isnt as cool as yours

Ron505

PR Founding Father
Dilligaf is how I roll. I'm happy, if it makes me happy. I couldn't care less if someone looks down on me about riding an import. My bike has gotten A LOT of attention down here, and all has been positive so far. And if it gets negative attention.....dilligaf!

mcso434

PR Member
Dilligaf is how I roll. I'm happy, if it makes me happy. I couldn't care less if someone looks down on me about riding an import. My bike has gotten A LOT of attention down here, and all has been positive so far. And if it gets negative attention.....dilligaf!

I second this wholeheartedly. I've had a Suzuki, multiple Yamahas and Hondas and two Harleys. I enjoy whatever bike I ride.

RocketRobin

PR Founding Father
Has anyone not figured out that KTM is copying Harley Davidsons model? Look at their assessor catalog, their clothing, their marketing. Hell, they even stole HDs colors. They are the HD of the dirt world, and no one is on here complaining about their pricing being too high.

I would not trade my HD for another brand street bike, unless I wanted a sport bike again.

So KTM is copying Harley Davidson's model??? They (KTM) have been pushing the envelope on dirt bike design and innovations for years now and have arguably the best bikes on the market right now. Who pushed the electric start envelope on dirt bikes, who has the lightest stock bikes out there, who is still developing new two stroke technology, and who has the largest number of sponsored riders in the professional racing of any manufacturer???? It's all KTM....... and they did it through hard work, pushing the envelope, and taking chances that other companies wouldn't take (like a 350 bike without a class??? or electric start two strokes???), Harley hasn't done anything like that. They have ridden an ancient design into the ground when it's clearly not the best design out there and the die hards (like you) resist any change to that old design. They have an impossible task of not going out of business because they have to keep people like you happy, while figuring out how to attract new customers that have many choices of better motorcycles (or personal transportation devices) for less money. I applaud their efforts in trying to jump 75 years ahead of where they are while they still can, but it's going to be a rough road for them unless they do this under another brand name (like Buell was). I don't think Harley purists (aging biker guy population) wants to be associated with the electric scooters that they showed. Maybe run them under the Stacyc brand name then and keep them separate but under one ownership roof.........

ck1racerx

PR Addict
33192.png

THIS is why I don't and will never own a Hardly. Market share is limited to the number of people wanting to look like a dirty biker. I'm not your brother... if I were, I would tell you to take a shower. BTW, do any of them look happy to be riding?
My middle son has a Hardly, and yes, I have rode it a couple times. It does handle much better than I expected but it is still a 1950's engineered turd.
I sold my SUZUKI street bike a couple years ago. Not because I felt embarrassed or not up to par with the POS Milwaukee sleds, but because of all the idiot drivers that don't respect ANY motorcycle. Takes all the fun out of riding when you constantly have to ride defensive.
I could see a big market for the e-bikes. Every college campus should be full of them. Well, at least those in the south.

John250

PR Founding Father
KTM has copied Harleys marketing of everything branded, clothing, accessories, buying into the "KTM" family, etc. That is exactly what they have copied Harley Davidson in doing, and charging a premium price for it.

mcso434

PR Member
because of all the idiot drivers that don't respect ANY motorcycle. Takes all the fun out of riding when you constantly have to ride defensive.

This is the reason I took a five year hiatus from riding on the street. I am back at it this year, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to last. It's just safer in the dirt and trees anymore.

On a side note, I don't know if your thumbnail is an actual picture of you, but every time I see that face, it makes me want to punch it! No offense if it is you

ck1racerx

PR Addict
On a side note, I don't know if your thumbnail is an actual picture of you, but every time I see that face, it makes me want to punch it! No offense if it is you

Easy now big boy. Ralph Sheheen is the best thing to happen to American Motocross since MX SPORTS.

Toddco327

PR Addict
John250 I find it hard to believe that you mean some of the things you say. My point has been proven through this thread multiple times. The Harley brand is struggling for all the reasons I listed

Yes I know Harley dirt bikes haven’t been made since the 70’s. Which means kids from then into the early 80’s rode them. Which means they are around 45-65yrs old now. Boom target hit.

KTM??? Really you think they are stealing their marketing? Come on... I guess you’re maybe right. I do love seeing those Pepsi sponsored Harley’s on the road. I’m a big fan of Harley’s race team. Their riders have such great personalities. Plus the Harley youth program is unstoppable. Also I can’t tell you how much I love going to every KTM dealership in the country to buy a shirt from the dealer.

Harley has one trick and they have done it well for a long time. They do build nice machines and they do look and sound cool. But that only gets you so far. You need to expand. Get new ideas. Try different things but what Harley is doing isn’t working. The idea of owning a Harley has a certain image attached to it. But that image is associated with the name of the bike. Honda is also a brand but the image of a MX rider vs. the Goldwing rider is different. It’s not the brand as much as it’s your machine. You’d be hard pressed to convince me that a Honda Fury is any less cool than a street glide.

I hope the best for Harley. I hope they turn it around. Overall I think to be successful you need to break the mold, even if it means making your die hards upset, to bring in new blood.