Bike Build... again

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Since it is not that cold, figured I would do a little work on the project. Let’s push out some old bearings...
Maybe a Harbor Freight vise was not a good idea.

Attachments

• 137F0873-5449-48AE-A4ED-162CD73DB95D.jpeg
    137F0873-5449-48AE-A4ED-162CD73DB95D.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 182

mooch

PR Elite
Have gone with a few different kinda looks on my old 2006 YZ250 which is still my daily rider. Also tried out an aluminum tank made by a company in England that allowed the more modern looking 4 stroke radiator shrouds to work but that had more of an angular look that I wasn't wild about. Then came across this carbon fiber tank from a guy in Italy that also uses the 4 stroke shrouds. Ended up, there was a communication problem on the 1st carbon tank I got...I jokingly mentioned in an email to make sure the carbon fiber was nice and thick so it held up. Guy thought I wanted a larger capacity tank from that comment and the first tank wouldn't fit as it hung lower and was hitting the cylinder bolts. At that point I thought the guy screwed up and sent him pics. He responded saying he must have gone to far in trying to make the tank bigger per my request. Once we got that miscommunication straightened out, the second tank fit perfect. Tank came with hardware that allows for the lower part of the 4 stroke radiator shroud to bolt up correctly to the radiator.. I much prefer the 4 stroke shrouds as the tank graphics wont bubble up since they no longer go directly on the tank...maybe someday Yamaha will make that kind of change if they continue to keep the YZ250 in their new bike lineup? Spiffed things up a bit with some other additions...might notice I went cheap with the wheels / rims being from Tusk, but you know, I've only had to tighten the spokes once on those and have never had them come loose...so my tusk experience has been a good one! For the brakes, have a larger rotor in the front and a different wave rotor in the back

Engine wise, not much.... heavier flywheel, Hinson clutch parts, Depp pipe with a PC silencer and V force reed cage was about it. MXA's usual suggestion of going from a 50 tooth to a 51 tooth rear sprocket has always worked well on my YZ250s and is a low dollar change that has always been a good change for me. I will say, I couldn't tell a difference with the different reed cage.

For the suspension...usually just do seals and oil myself but this year sent it off to Enzo and the good stock suspension feels even better after Enzo's re-valve.

Controls...changed over to pro-tapers and ASV levers. I know a lot of teams go with ARC levers but I tried both the ARC and ASV and liked the feel of the ASVs.

Running out of updates I can think of to make as I don't really feel the need to have any engine work done as the bike's already faster than I am. Thinking maybe some titanium
pegs might be nice. Since I don't see myself buying a new bike anytime soon, able to put a few bucks here and there on this old bike.

Oh, an added bonus...there's a class at vintage days I can race with this :)

2006 YZ250.jpg

Last edited:

NQ1965

PR Elite
Since it is not that cold, figured I would do a little work on the project. Let’s push out some old bearings...
Maybe a Harbor Freight vise was not a good idea.
I've had a couple Wilton vises. They seem to be pretty durable. The one on my garage bench has been in use for over 30 years now, and it's taken a lot of abuse.
I just don't have much tolerance for s**t tools anymore.

k01

PR Elite
Have gone with a few different kinda looks on my old 2006 YZ250 which is still my daily rider. Also tried out an aluminum tank made by a company in England that allowed the more modern looking 4 stroke radiator shrouds to work but that had more of an angular look that I wasn't wild about. Then came across this carbon fiber tank from a guy in Italy that also uses the 4 stroke shrouds. Ended up, there was a communication problem on the 1st carbon tank I got...I jokingly mentioned in an email to make sure the carbon fiber was nice and thick so it held up. Guy thought I wanted a larger capacity tank from that comment and the first tank wouldn't fit as it hung lower and was hitting the cylinder bolts. At that point I thought the guy screwed up and sent him pics. He responded saying he must have gone to far in trying to make the tank bigger per my request. Once we got that miscommunication straightened out, the second tank fit perfect. Tank came with hardware that allows for the lower part of the 4 stroke radiator shroud to bolt up correctly to the radiator.. I much prefer the 4 stroke shrouds as the tank graphics wont bubble up since they no longer go directly on the tank...maybe someday Yamaha will make that kind of change if they continue to keep the YZ250 in their new bike lineup? Spiffed things up a bit with some other additions...might notice I went cheap with the wheels / rims being from Tusk, but you know, I've only had to tighten the spokes once on those and have never had them come loose...so my tusk experience has been a good one! For the brakes, have a larger rotor in the front and a different wave rotor in the back

Engine wise, not much.... heavier flywheel, Hinson clutch parts, Depp pipe with a PC silencer and V force reed cage was about it. MXA's usual suggestion of going from a 50 tooth to a 51 tooth rear sprocket has always worked well on my YZ250s and is a low dollar change that has always been a good change for me. I will say, I couldn't tell a difference with the different reed cage.

For the suspension...usually just do seals and oil myself but this year sent it off to Enzo and the good stock suspension feels even better after Enzo's re-valve.

Controls...changed over to pro-tapers and ASV levers. I know a lot of teams go with ARC levers but I tried both the ARC and ASV and liked the feel of the ASVs.

Running out of updates I can think of to make as I don't really feel the need to have any engine work done as the bike's already faster than I am. Thinking maybe some titanium
pegs might be nice. Since I don't see myself buying a new bike anytime soon, able to put a few bucks here and there on this old bike.

Oh, an added bonus...there's a class at vintage days I can race with this :)

View attachment 71470
One fancy bike mooch! 450 swingarm and footpegs work and save weight. There is a dirty old no graphics '06 trashy white one still out and about.
2020-04-27 19.41.48.jpg

bruceb

PR Addict