Buckeye Series Schedule

John250

PR Founding Father
I agree with Mooch. RT 62 posted photos on Facebook of all the ruts all the way across the track, down a straightway into a jump face. That makes for horrible racing, and I think is dangerous. These tracks for some reason think peg deep ruts down the straightaways is what everyone wants.

Thundervalley, high point, Millville last year, all some of the best racing for sure because it was not a slot car track.

hershey

PR Elite
I agree with Mooch. RT 62 posted photos on Facebook of all the ruts all the way across the track, down a straightway into a jump face. That makes for horrible racing, and I think is dangerous. These tracks for some reason think peg deep ruts down the straightaways is what everyone wants.

Thundervalley, high point, Millville last year, all some of the best racing for sure because it was not a slot car track.
Lol....I haven't seen rt62 get like that. Definitely rutted but not that bad. But we've only been there 3 times this year.

An open speedway is not racing. You need ruts and rough to separate the good technique riders from the ones who can just pin it. Anyone who thinks the national tracks aren't super rough and rutted have thier heads in the sand. Tv doesn't show you what it is like.

hershey

PR Elite
385 entries. The youth classes kicked ass. The older vet classes not so much.

Early day prep was fantastic, was really surprised the track didn't get as rough as last weds practice. The mid day prep should have have more water or ripped deeper. By half way through 2nd set it was pretty hard pack and dusty. We were moto 16 and 23. #23 was a concrete highway. I think the threat if rain kept them from digging it deep the night before, they had it rolled in when we got there sat night. They have a couple of bad ass water trucks.

All in all 62 is worlds better than before, we will definitely be heading back !
20210620_092219.jpg
20210620_064611.jpg

John250

PR Founding Father
The Vet Classes and B classes in the Buckeye Series usually have pretty large turnouts. Not sure why both were so small at Rt 62.

mooch

PR Elite
The Vet Classes and B classes in the Buckeye Series usually have pretty large turnouts. Not sure why both were so small at Rt 62.
Maybe RT 62's pics of Wednesday's practice ruts scared the vets off :)

Don't agree with Hershey's comment that its not motocross racing unless it's rutted. Corners rutting up a bit are fine but having to get locked into long deeps ruts on straights or jump faces and jump landings are no fun in my opinion and at this point in my life I pretty much pack it up when conditions are like that. No doubt it takes skill to ride those kind of ruts but that's not the style of moto I grew up with and raced on. Seems that deep ruts forming everywhere wasn't something riders were looking for until what something like 10-15 years ago...around the time 4 strokes came around...dunno? Thinking back on all the tracks I've ridden in the past...generally, dust was kept down without needing to rip it ultra deep and overwater to the point of constantly negotiating deeps ruts everywhere. Riders having the ability to switch up lines at different points in corners rather than playing follow the leader seems more like racing to me.

Hershey, what's your opinion of the racing at this year's Thunder Valley and High Point races...enough ruts to be considered good moto racing?

mooch

PR Elite
I was with Mooch until he linked to Vital Forums....BOOOOO.

I have not gone on Vital Forums for over 3 months now and my life is better for it.

There's still some useful nuggets on vital that make it worth wading thru the crap :) Did win the pro-taper 12 days of Christmas contest this year which included sprockets, chain, EVO handlbars / pad and clamp on grips. I pretty much post there like I do here...kinda infrequently.

hershey

PR Elite
Maybe RT 62's pics of Wednesday's practice ruts scared the vets off :)

Don't agree with Hershey's comment that its not motocross racing unless it's rutted. Corners rutting up a bit are fine but having to get locked into long deeps ruts on straights or jump faces and jump landings are no fun in my opinion and at this point in my life I pretty much pack it up when conditions are like that. No doubt it takes skill to ride those kind of ruts but that's not the style of moto I grew up with and raced on. Seems that deep ruts forming everywhere wasn't something riders were looking for until what something like 10-15 years ago...around the time 4 strokes came around...dunno? Thinking back on all the tracks I've ridden in the past...generally, dust was kept down without needing to rip it ultra deep and overwater to the point of constantly negotiating deeps ruts everywhere. Riders having the ability to switch up lines at different points in corners rather than playing follow the leader seems more like racing to me.

Hershey, what's your opinion of the racing at this year's Thunder Valley and High Point races...enough ruts to be considered good moto racing?
I think for our local stuff rutted corners are plenty good. A few extra here and there are ok but not to much. Straights not really at all but short occasional are ok and never jump faces. I remember the bigger tracks being that way in the mid 90s when I first ventured away from the CRA.

For LL stuff and pro racing more ruts for sure...the pro ranks should be tough. Not saying it should be a slot car race or all jump faces rutted up but the races this year are about as easy as they should ever be. I think a mix of those and the really rough stuff throughout the year would be perfect for the pro racing

John250

PR Founding Father
I like different tracks having different soil. But places like Red Bud have trucked in so much sand they have made it into Southwick. It is like every national track has to be sand. High Point luckily has not trucked in sand.