Better get in line now....

Vet261

PR Addict
HH.jpg

NQ1965

PR Elite
I can only imagine how bad the conditions might be. The place was never that great when we raced it in the 80s and 90s.
Going old school. Just like a grass track .
Bare minimal prep. Whatever the track turns in to, is what you ride.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
I can only imagine how bad the conditions might be. The place was never that great when we raced it in the 80s and 90s.
I've been out there to walk it with Tanner and Levi. All the major washouts are fixed, they have ran a dozer around it cleaned up the trees and brush. Its pretty much the same layout they had when it closed, looks very close. Its rideable, a little narrow in spots, but that's how it was back in the day. This is merely an opportunity to go down memory lane. Do not expect a training level facility track, do not expect a premium 2021 race course. Do not expect deep ruts. Its a starting point for everyone to see where they came from.

I had been talking to them about a complete revamp, complete change. They were fearful about changing it, because of the diehards and folks that had raced it years ago. So this s chance to ride it before it changes. Now they may do it again, I'm not sure on the official decision to change and how much, but if it were me, we'd completely redesign due to the change in bikes, equipment, maintenance, everything is different now, including rider expectations. I think they will end up with a marriage of the old and the new, but time will tell. I plan to help them all that I can.

NQ1965

PR Elite
I had been talking to them about a complete revamp, complete change. They were fearful about changing it, because of the diehards and folks that had raced it years ago. So this s chance to ride it before it changes. Now they may do it again, I'm not sure on the official decision to change and how much, but if it were me, we'd completely redesign due to the change in bikes, equipment, maintenance, everything is different now, including rider expectations. I think they will end up with a marriage of the old and the new, but time will tell. I plan to help them all that I can.

It goes without saying the legacy of Honda Hills summons certain expectations. That being said, they need a different business plan and mindset for the facility.
They need not have to compete on or at the same levels as other Ohio tracks. A place for special events I would think. Too much access too often and you'll be taken for granted, not appreciated. With well thought out events, and with really really good promotion and planning could be and should be a premiere place for dirt bike riding and racing, and for families to hang out at. A great place to bring your kids and grandkids to.
Most importantly, it should remain a track that ANYBODY could ride and race on. I stated before that it could have the popularity of AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days. Would love to see this become.

Last edited:

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
It goes without saying the legacy of Honda Hills summons certain expectations. That being said, they need a different business plan and mindset for the facility.
They need not have to compete on or at the same levels as other Ohio tracks. A place for special events I would think. Too much access too often and you'll be taken for granted, not appreciated. With well thought out events, and with really really good promotion and planning could be and should be a premiere place for dirt bike riding and racing, and for families to hang out at. A great place to bring your kids and grandkids to.
Most importantly, it should remain a track that ANYBODY could ride and race on. I stated before that it could have the popularity of AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days. Would love to see this become.
There focus is a low pressure fun track, that is what I gathered. Flowy like Honda Hills, fun jumps. I think it will be good. The biggest thing is untangling the track, its all on top of itself in a small area, not even a good way to water it. So there are many considerations.

On promotions, I think tanner is very good at these type things. He wants to maximize the property do other fun events. I think everyone will like the way he thinks on the promotions. He wont create acronyms like DHDS01. Hes a nice guy.

Meister

PR Founding Father
Not that it's likely I'll get down to ride there often, but I will appreciate if they leave it real Ohio dirt and not artificially impregnated dirt by way of sand or mulch.

Mother nature will be the damper of their first ride back.

k01

PR Elite
The biggest thing is untangling the track, its all on top of itself in a small area, not even a good way to water it. So there are many considerations.
That compact tangled hillside track made for competitive racing and great spectating day or night. The problem was over the later years the track became cut way down into the side of the hill. But the vertical side walls did keep you on or in the track...

Ron505

PR Founding Father
That compact tangled hillside track made for competitive racing and great spectating day or night. The problem was over the later years the track became cut way down into the side of the hill. But the vertical side walls did keep you on or in the track...
Yes they did! Everyone was blazing fast at Honda Hills!

I thought there was an issue with parking since they had separated part of the property? Will parking be up top now?

Mark414

PR Member
Loved the night series, so dark in the top right corner, was so fun when Dick had it, way before Scott and Diedra had it. Was great watching Evener And Grahm go at it. Loved Wednesday night practice 1 and a half hour drive but worth it it to drink beer and be with Dick till 2 in the morning. Way better than your beloved dust country John, lol, jmho worst track ever in ohio.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
I hear you , but in a different time though. If you analyze the acreage the track is on it’s about half the area of most outdoor tracks, and about 1/3 size of national track. The real issue with it being on top of itself is there isn’t any place for a water truck to drive or green space to control erosion. Not knocking the old days here, but things have changed. It’s time to upgrade parts of it.

NQ1965

PR Elite
Just having the park open again to become Central Ohio's crown jewel of Classic motorcycle racing, based on its rich heritage, can be a promise toward a long and prosperous future if embraced and helped to get there.
The memories, stories, photo's and video's will always be there for all to reminisce and cherish. Yet allow the track to breathe and grow into it's own for 2022 and beyond without losing the Honda Hills character. So goes it, new memories, photo's, videos and legends are born.

Creative changes made, based in the spirit of Honda Hill's past can be healthy and progressive without losing that feel of yesteryear. I would think they still have enough acreage that they could help the track spread out and expand a bit without losing their way in the process. Taking advantage of some really cool elevation variations that are challenging, yet flow well are usually welcomed I think.

When I think the track needs to be able to serve the needs of modern 450's it nauseates my stomach a little :D, but just tilting my head with an open mind, I could see Honda Hills becoming the home of the East/Mid-West "2 Stroke Nationals", to include the 500cc/Open class. The Great 2-Stroke Smoke Out!!! And they're still building modern smokers, so nobody is left out.

And let's not overlook the idea of home of the funnest GP track in Ohio if possible to consider and work it in. They used to run Hare Scrambles there.
Lot's of possibilities.

Last edited:

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
Tanner Wilson and Levi Baker are the owners, they welcome your feedback and ideas. I’m just jumping in here and there in case people misconceptions about what they are doing

k01

PR Elite
The last GP weekend of the year is next weekend too. So unless the turnout is huge and they're moved to add another HH ride weekend, I'll probably be waiting for the new and improved version.