Better get in line now....

Scoob

PR Founding Father
If they plan on racing there the place needs tons of work to bring it up to 2021. Those walls all over the place, make the track truly way too narrow for racing. Times have changed. It would be nice to have a natural terrain track to race, I am totally ok with no huge leaps, etc. But the walls need to be cut back and the track made twice as wide.
2021 is over...need to start thinking 2022.

The big berm turns are the widest sections. Was fairly rocky where there was any loose dirt. Hopefully them islands JO speaks of hold some decent dirt in them.

In my eyes it definitely doesn't seem possible to keep the current layout for the most part, but does in that we can keep some of the iconic sections. The big uphill/downhill over on the far side of the track by the old practice parking is a keeper hopefully. I'll be curious as to where the starting gate will be if not the same spot. Definitely a big boy on a PW killer, but is one of the iconic pieces I'd think whether either right or left turn...

Guess we shall see as a blind man once said...

John250

PR Founding Father
Scoob the rocks have always been at Honda Hills. People must have just forgot. Maybe they can put the little forward falling starting gate back in as well. I jumped that thing more than a few times.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
When did they start running the track in reverse?
Funny how guys love and defend their home track. I was never a HH fan, but it is good to see another place to ride open back up.
MJ and I always had the HH vs. DC debate. Both are like Miracle Whip. You love it or hate it.

NQ1965

PR Elite
and get a consistent grade across the track (meaning take the half pipe out of it).

And you've just turned it into every other track in Ohio and took the nostalgic 70's feel out of it.

(not doubting you Jeremy, you have the experience and are The Man when it comes to track design and building) just thinking out loud is all.

Last edited:

Scoob

PR Founding Father
And you've just turned it into every other track in Ohio and took the nostalgic 70's feel out of it.

(not doubting you Jeremy, you have are The Man when it comes to track design and building) just thinking out loud is all.
Yeah, it's a tough one. It's tough to think of Honda Hills being "Honda Hills" in today's market/world. It's going to have to be a major compromise. Everyone will not be happy. Ambivalent at best in some cases.

The track of yesterday and yesteryears long ago doesn't feel like it will work in 2022 not matter how great we once "thought" it was. Thinking many of those thoughts aren't about the track itself, just the memories made there. Right now we're all on a high in that "da Hills" are coming back. Sure some would be OK with the track yesterday, but not sure "some" will bring enough to the track for the long term.

I just expect/hope it to be "different" with a tad bit of the same just to keep that idea of what it once was for good times sake... The more left as is the better, but what does that look like? Hard to tell. Part that stinks is how do you measure if you take too much away of the old or not enough before it's too late to recover? I know, just have another Grand Reopening in 2023, '24, '25.... Hmmm....?????

Good thing we don't have any neh sayers or negative minds on here. Sweet butter cups, easy going peeps y'all is. God love ya's! ;)

hershey

PR Elite
Yeah, it's a tough one. It's tough to think of Honda Hills being "Honda Hills" in today's market/world. It's going to have to be a major compromise. Everyone will not be happy. Ambivalent at best in some cases.

The track of yesterday and yesteryears long ago doesn't feel like it will work in 2022 not matter how great we once "thought" it was. Thinking many of those thoughts aren't about the track itself, just the memories made there. Right now we're all on a high in that "da Hills" are coming back. Sure some would be OK with the track yesterday, but not sure "some" will bring enough to the track for the long term.

I just expect/hope it to be "different" with a tad bit of the same just to keep that idea of what it once was for good times sake... The more left as is the better, but what does that look like? Hard to tell. Part that stinks is how do you measure if you take too much away of the old or not enough before it's too late to recover? I know, just have another Grand Reopening in 2023, '24, '25.... Hmmm....?????

Good thing we don't have any neh sayers or negative minds on here. Sweet butter cups, easy going peeps y'all is. God love ya's! ;)
I dont believe you are correct. If you built the same track just wider, people will flock to it for reasons they have and others won't. That's how it always goes. Name one track that 100% of the people like, not going to happen.

In the end riders will come no matter what the design.

NQ1965

PR Elite
Another thought creeping through my pea brain this morning, was that the current (old current) track layout, which is due and deserving an upgrade, is really kind of confining track for all the 450-thumpers thrashing about. It's more favorable to 2 strokes. And I wick'd it up several times over the weekend, but I don't remember actually getting into 5th gear. Which is not a bad thing in my opinion. You're not out there doing Mach 3 speeds.

NQ1965

PR Elite
I dont believe you are correct. If you built the same track just wider, people will flock to it for reasons they have and others won't. That's how it always goes. Name one track that 100% of the people like, not going to happen.

I believe you are dead on correct.
The future of Honda Hills needs special considerations. And as earlier stated, if you build it with exactly the same mindset that all other tracks are built and operated, undoubtedly you may greatly fall short of it's real potential given it's unique location and place in history.

You had a LOT of vet class riders this weekend. Way more than just kids. You don't want to lose that.

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
What’s the laptimes barely over a minute for the fast dudes? There’s no jumps I seen but one tabletop and two big rollers. Is there any way to make the track any longer? I know they want to keep the track old school and all but there’s gotta be some jumps. If it’s all tabletops the track will be like a peewee track. Definitely going to need a big movement .

Romanyak256

PR Addict
What’s the laptimes barely over a minute for the fast dudes? There’s no jumps I seen but one tabletop and two big rollers. Is there any way to make the track any longer? I know they want to keep the track old school and all but there’s gotta be some jumps. If it’s all tabletops the track will be like a peewee track. Definitely going to need a big movement .
Sessions were 10 min long and i was getting 8-9 laps in. But there was a downhill jump, 2 tabletops and 3 singles. I think it’s moronic you say if it’s all tabletops it’ll be like a peewee track, if i remember correctly i broke both my legs, pelvis and back on a big tabletop this past Memorial Day. Not every track needs huge triples and jumps like that. Grears has all table tops and step ups and that track is fun as can be...

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father

(not doubting you Jeremy, you have the experience and are The Man when it comes to track design and building) just thinking out
The biggest problem I see with the existing routing is there is no way too water it correctly, and it’s pretty sketchy with all the walls. It’s a safety thing more than anything.

NQ1965

PR Elite
Kind of funny looking back, and was talking with a couple folks about this over the weekend. We recalled Scott used to drive the water truck on and around the track to water it. A practice unheard of today. :D
No doubt, with today's super bikes (450's), racing at speed would be risky.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
Kind of funny looking back, and was talking with a couple folks about this over the weekend. We recalled Scott used to drive the water truck on and around the track to water it. A practice unheard of today. :D
No doubt, with today's super bikes (450's), racing at speed would be risky.
I can assure you the owners take your view point very seriously. They are super concerned with keeping the feel of it intact

Scoob

PR Founding Father

I get what you are saying, but it's not practical in some senses. Sure, build it for the vet riders in hopes that when they hang up the boots those vet riders to be want the same thing? I dunno...it's possible. I still like to jump plenty, but I am less likely to huck it first lap...especially the blind jumps.

You are correct in that no matter the build, some will like it and some won't. Heck, I remember some of the peeps with the most to say about how horrible Honda Hills was were the ones that were there most often and NEVER missed a race!...lol Your point I assume....

It's still gotta be a mix. Like JO says, no way to keep it as is 100% due to no way to water it without driving on the track...well, I guess you'll need to have the water truck pull the disc/cultivator! Problem solved! ;)

In the end, I have never been a track hater anyway. I'll go no matter I am sure. Being less than 15 minutes away will also have something to do with that. Just too cool that we are even discussing it. Good shtuff! :)

Last edited:
My son and I were there on Sunday. He is 11 and races here and there.. He absolutely loved it! He said "Dad, its like a huge turn track on the side of a hill! I enjoyed it as well and brought back memories for sure. Great to see all of the familiar faces. It was safe and technical to ride at the same time how slick it was. No sketchy moments overall. Although I am slow, poking around! Haha.. Hope they can keep it fun and safe so everyone can enjoy it to grow the sport. Honda Hills is where I started. It would be intimidating to go practice at some of the local tracks as a brand new rider. There are plenty of tracks with huge jumps and ruts up every face and corner to ride in Ohio for the more advanced riders. MX life is good in Ohio! We are spoiled!