Rigs. Small trucks, towing, vans. etc

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
Bill it's the "Fiat Dublo" that is the small one (Promaster City).

It's easy to say MPG isn't all that until you start driving around a 3/4 ton truck with a 6.4L engine in it. My usage for a small city van would be loading one MX bike and one MTB and driving out to AZ for winter.
I think my florida trip last year cost me $250 in gas? 2500 miles.

hershey

PR Elite
I think my florida trip last year cost me $250 in gas? 2500 miles.
Haha....my fla trip cost 800 in fuel. About 3k miles driving all over. Family of 4, 200 gal water, 3 dirt bikes, 4 bicycles, the car and can stay off grid for a week. Worth every penny. Eff the milage
20201221_134005.jpg

Bill480

PR Addict
Bill it's the "Fiat Dublo" that is the small one (Promaster City).

It's easy to say MPG isn't all that until you start driving around a 3/4 ton truck with a 6.4L engine in it. My usage for a small city van would be loading one MX bike and one MTB and driving out to AZ for winter.

You can put a bike in that? I remember seeing guys pulling the bars to load up into an astrovan as I rode into the back of my sprinter lol. When I said MPG isn't everything I was referring to the cost of repairs & maintenance - If the thing is sitting broken at the Jeep dealership does it really matter if it gets 20mpg instead of 15?

MPG has been meaningless to me for a while; reliability is my main concern. The sprinter and it's ~23mpg was great at the pump. What wasn't great was the ~$2k in special tools I had to travel with, the reman engine and trans I had to put in it, the $800 driveshaft that fell out that one time, etc. I haul with a 1 ton truck with a 6.7L engine in it. It drinks a lot of diesel but it starts when I need it to and I'm not waiting for the CEL light to come on every time I drive it.

hershey

PR Elite
You should be ashamed of your carbon footprint!
Not in the slightest. We spend 3 weekends a month in it during the summer as a family. Wouldn't trade that time together for the world!

Been out west to 8 national parks, countless Florida beaches including the keys, 100 mx tracks and everything in between. You can thank us in part for the warm snap we had this week ! Lol

Vet261

PR Addict
Not in the slightest. We spend 3 weekends a month in it during the summer as a family. Wouldn't trade that time together for the world!

Been out west to 8 national parks, countless Florida beaches including the keys, 100 mx tracks and everything in between. You can thank us in part for the warm snap we had this week ! Lol
...probly don't even wear a mask either! Man......

TwentyThreeMX

PR Founding Father
used car market is nuts. i took advantage of it on my truck and am taking advantage of it on my car tomorrow lol

if i really wanted to make some money appear out of thin air i'd sell my van too.. but i really like that thing way too much. like someone else said its basically a wash with what you'll be over paying, but it might give you an opportunity to get a newer vehicle with less milesage that will depreciate less than your current vehicle at least, so while it might not save you $ now or something, it could save you more later on

i was lucky on my truck in the spring that i found a dealer to discount my new ram by like 6,000, but had to search the whole country for it. where as most places were adding fees on top of msrp.. crazy times.

Roachy

PR Addict
Didn't Pit post something about the Ford Maverick. I know not a real truck but the Eco boost with AWD is approved for 4,000 pounds, good mileage and they are priced nice. I don't think a dirt bike will fit in the bed but my trials bike will. I would have gone that route had they made them when I purchased my Rav 4 Adventure.

My Rav 4 is approved to tow 3500 and I tow a 5 x 10 aluminum enclosed without any real issue. It does rev pretty high when trying to run 80 when hilly but other than that no issues. I get 13-15 when towing the enclosed but 24 ish when towing my 3 rail. I find the trailers just as easy as a truck and I like the daily driving comfort of the SUV. The Rav was only 30 grand nicely equipped.

I had a Nissan Frontier and the gas mileage was just as bad as a full size. I am sure better now and mine was bullet proof.

I really want a van but I wouldn't want to drive it to work everyday and I do not need a 3rd vehicle.

Scoob

PR Founding Father
Haha....my fla trip cost 800 in fuel. About 3k miles driving all over. Family of 4, 200 gal water, 3 dirt bikes, 4 bicycles, the car and can stay off grid for a week. Worth every penny. Eff the milage View attachment 74689
No wonder I cannot find you at the races....I'm looking for a tri-axle 5th wheel with a dually...lol. Nice rig. Add an enclosed trailer for the dune vehicle and I'd be set...lol.

At the momento I got the travel trailer toy hauler pulled by the 1/2 ton double cab 4D pickup or 3/4 suburban to better haul the dogs... Looking to upgrade to a 2500/3500 crew cab pickup with a larger toy hauler. With 3 bikes, 2 adults, 1 kid, 2.25 dogs and all the stuff the wife thinks we need just in case...we'll need it...

MX_Implements

PR Addict
I just bought a 1500 Sierra Duramax and love it. Camper weighs 7500 lbs loaded. After hand calculated for our trip south I averaged 12.3 mpg and that’s with driving in 4wd for 500 miles.

The third pic is with bikes and gear in the bed and speeds of 75-90 mph. Hand calculations put me at 25.1 mpg

Day to day I get 28-30 mpg. I’ve owned everything under the sun and nothing compares mileage wise.

The guy that says he getting 18-20 mpg with his ecoboost isn’t resetting his dash when towing. Towing a loaded 6x12 with the ecoboost gets 8-12 mpg not matter how fast you drive. I’ve had 4 ecoboosts f150s and they all averaged the same.

7D824C76-9142-4E98-B481-A952D452EFD7.jpeg
16F595D1-8F20-4461-BEDD-83463234B250.jpeg
A56E253D-75B8-4A57-B11B-D10FC63D252C.jpeg

Woody

PR Addict
I just bought a 1500 Sierra Duramax and love it. Camper weighs 7500 lbs loaded. After hand calculated for our trip south I averaged 12.3 mpg and that’s with driving in 4wd for 500 miles.

The third pic is with bikes and gear in the bed and speeds of 75-90 mph. Hand calculations put me at 25.1 mpg

Day to day I get 28-30 mpg. I’ve owned everything under the sun and nothing compares mileage wise.

The guy that says he getting 18-20 mpg with his ecoboost isn’t resetting his dash when towing. Towing a loaded 6x12 with the ecoboost gets 8-12 mpg not matter how fast you drive. I’ve had 4 ecoboosts f150s and they all averaged the same.

View attachment 74695View attachment 74696View attachment 74697
Nice to hear something positive about that setup. I've been thinking about going to the 1500 Duramax, we've had a '19 and '16 gassers and have always been intrigued about the diesel in the 1500's pulling a trailer of that size.

freeh

PR Founding Father

I was pricing these out recently. Clearly this is the best option for half ton towing. Very nice set up!

Dano762

PR Addict
I was pricing these out recently. Clearly this is the best option for half ton towing. Very nice set up!
That is a nice set up. I pull an 18ft toy hauler with a 2019 F150 3.5 Ecoboost - a powerful engine. I get about 11-12 MPG when towing and about 20 in normal driving. The Work and Play is tall and a brick - probably about 6200lb loaded.

Photo is from 2021 REDBUD!!!

Work Play.jpg

Work Play loaded.jpg

jfalat

PR Addict

Well I do reset the dash every fill up.... also checked full calculation by mileage per fill up and get get 18 to 20 mpg constantly pulling... i get 12 to 14 pulling our 35 ft 6500lb camper... 3.31 rear axel may make a difference. just cruzin on high way i get 22 to 25... i do run premium full and full syn oil... my 18 5.0 used to get 8 to 12 pulling the 6x12 trailer.. i have heard of a few guys on the f150 forums getting bad full mileage but other are consistently in my range.

Dano762

PR Addict
Well I do reset the dash every fill up.... also checked full calculation by mileage per fill up and get get 18 to 20 mpg constantly pulling... i get 12 to 14 pulling our 35 ft 6500lb camper... 3.31 rear axel may make a difference. just cruzin on high way i get 22 to 25... i do run premium full and full syn oil... my 18 5.0 used to get 8 to 12 pulling the 6x12 trailer.. i have heard of a few guys on the f150 forums getting bad full mileage but other are consistently in my range.
I had a 2011 with the 5.0 and was a V-8 guy also. The 3.5 is so much stronger in real world performance. The torque is so much better.

The 19 is my wife's truck. I drive an '05 5.4 that is approaching 300K miles and get 12-14 mpg. Its cam phaser rattle has been around for over 120K miles. I call in my faux diesel. It is so loud when I go through a drive thru.

thumbnail_IMG_4960.jpg

Agree on the 2.7 - A new Bronco with a 2.7 and a smaller trailer than the Work Play. That will be a great combination.

jfalat

PR Addict
I had a 2011 with the 5.0 and was a V-8 guy also. The 3.5 is so much stronger in real world performance. The torque is so much better.

The 19 is my wife's truck. I drive an '05 5.4 that is approaching 300K miles and get 12-14 mpg. Its cam phaser rattle has been around for over 120K miles. I call in my faux diesel. It is so loud when I go through a drive thru.

View attachment 74706

Agree on the 2.7 - A new Bronco with a 2.7 and a smaller trailer than the Work Play. That will be a great combination.
5.4 is a solid motor... we had 2004 shop truck with 340000 and still ran great..